PDA

View Full Version : My new Eastern Ribbon Snake!

joehero94
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Hello. I just bought a eastern ribbon snake. I recently decided that it is a male because it has a long tail. The snake is 2 feet long, I was wondering about how old it is? Also right now it is like 3/4 the thickness of my index finger. I was wondering how thick I can expect the snake to get? I just started feeding it pinkies. Lastly I have it in some coconut substrate and every time it feeds it swallows some "dirt", is this dangerous? Lastly how long can I expect it to live? I am new to the forums and have a lot of questions and I would like to thank you all beforehand. Thank you!

kibakiba
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Long tails do not determine sex, and there is no way to tell the age. All snakes grow differently.
If it's swallowing the coconut substrate, it's going to get impacted, which can kill it. Snakes can live anywhere for a few years to probably 15 years.

guidofatherof5
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Chantel has given some wise advice.
I will give you a couple links that should help with many of your questions.
Any of your question that aren't answered can be posted to the forum.
Here's a link that will help you sex your snake or show you the kind of photos to post so we can give it a shot.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/breeding/5069-sexing-pics.html
Here's the care sheet link:
Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)

BlueGarterz
10-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Welcome!!!

PINJOHN
10-20-2011, 02:33 AM
welcome from a cool overcast Liverpool

http://www.liv.ac.uk/researchintelligence/issue34/images/Liverpool_waterfront.jpg

katach
10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Welcome to the forum family! We would love to see some pictures of your snake.

Mrs N1ntndo
10-21-2011, 06:45 PM
welcome welcome to the forums. I too would like to see some pics. Im glad you can join us. Any questions you may have. You can ask if you would like and we can help the best we can. Hope to see you around.

RedSidedSPR
10-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

Greg'sGarters
10-30-2012, 05:56 PM
An Eastern Ribbon huh? Those are nice, my favorite ribbon out of the 2. Make sure he has hiding places and also try to feed him in a different container. Coconut substrate isn't as dangerous as some substrates but isn't the best for ribbon snakes or garters. It will hold humidity which can cause blister disease and it can cause impaction. Usually or eastern ribbons, I use Excavator by Zoo Med. It pretty much makes the bottom of the cage a hard clay you can mix in a little bit of gravel for texture but not too much. About 2 cups per 10 lbs of dried clay. This is what they prefer in the wild (I occasionally will catch one in this type of environment). Make sure to have a LARGE water dish for them to soak in. These snakes love swimming and hunting and then basking while they digest their aquatic/amphibious meal. A lot of fake plants focused towards one corner of the cage will provide a good hiding spot. These snakes love hiding! Make sure you have an Eastern Ribbon though. The way to tell is if you look at the top of the head. Look for 2 dots next to each other. If these 2 dots are present, you have a Western Ribbon. If these 2 dots are absent you have an Eastern Ribbon. If you have any more questions PM me.