PDA

View Full Version : How much is to much?

dawn47978
05-17-2007, 07:04 AM
I am a new owner of a garter snake. It is eating VERY well. I have it on roseys and earthworms. It is eating all i give it, I gave it 5 roseys and 4 earthworms one day and the same the next should I keep food always available? Am I feeding it to much?

Stefan-A
05-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Garters can apparently eat too much, so it's not advisable to always have food available or feed them every day. I suppose most of us feed our garters once or twice a week.

drache
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
my adults I only feed once per week
the younger ones 2-3 times per week, depending on age and size
except for my rather greedy adult females, every meal is "all you can eat"
when they skip a meal, they skip a meal
I have had some very obese snakes in the not too distant past
I hope that helps

adamanteus
05-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Me too...once a week for adults two or three times for the youngsters.

GarterGuy
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
How big is you garter again???? Usually once or twice a week is enough...if youre going with fish and worms, probably twice a week (they have less calories then mice) and I'd say for a 1.5ft snake maybe like four large rosies or two really big night crawlers a feeding should be enough to keep him in good condition. Garters will totally pig out if you keep giving them food to eat....best to not do this though, don't want him becoming obese.
Roy

krystalirelan@southslope.
05-18-2007, 05:57 AM
I can offer my female 4 or 5 rosies and she will only eat 1 or 2 but my male will eat what ever I put in front of him plus what she doesnot eat. That's why I named him Oink!

darcy
05-22-2007, 11:16 PM
My 1.5yo wandering garter is only just now at 12". I feed him 7-10 rosies per week. Out of that he will generally eat 3-5 immediately after I put them in his cage and then save the rest for the following day or two. Out of that bunch he usually will either attack and kill 2-3 and leave them for me to discard or ignore them entirely. I would say on average he eats about 5-7 rosies per week when all is said and done.