PDA

View Full Version : Hello

jay0133
10-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Hello, I'm new to this site. I was referred here from a member of "thamnophis.com"
However I am not new to snakes, I keep a few different species. I would like to expand into keeping Garter snakes. I am from Southern Ontario. If anyone has a reference to get a good quality Garter in Southern Ontario, let me know.

jay0133
10-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Money is not an issue, the type of garters I like are the Eastern with high reds, but I believe they are illegal for me to
keep. I would like to start out with one easy garter snake.

RedSidedSPR
10-08-2011, 07:33 AM
welcome to the forum!

Hmm you look familiar...;)

jay0133
10-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Lol, evey minute on this forum I'm wanting a garter soo bad there are so many color variations. Growing up in the country I under the understanding that garters are those pesky black with yellow stipe that shoot stinky stuff on you.

RedSidedSPR
10-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Pfft. That's their rep alright. Nah, they're the best. Theyre all have different personalities, they are active, smart... And there's 70 species/subspecies plus all the morphs.

They are not just those "garden snakes" so many people make it seem.

They are the best.

jay0133
10-08-2011, 09:00 AM
What would you recommend for a first time garter owner?

RedSidedSPR
10-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Well most garters are pretty much all the same "skill level"... So really any. I guess though, a sirtalis subspecies... I think you could handle any though.;)

guidofatherof5
10-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the forum.
You come to us with a very good reference.
I must recommend T.radix (Plains Garter Snake). Plains Garter Snake - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Plains_Garter_Snake)
Here is the forum care sheet. The care of them is very different then other snakes.
Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)

katach
10-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum family!
I recommend a NW, but I'm biased. :D They are a smaller garter, topping out at around 24in. They are sweet and calm. I haves found they are easy to switch to pinkies and other types of food with scenting, but others have had a hard time. They have a variety of coloration to choose from. They house well together, except for food time, they can guard and steal (but that can be any type). I love the NW.

RedSidedSPR
10-08-2011, 01:04 PM
My favorite is red sideds, I have two... Very outward and calm in a laid back way... They seem to like water more them my others, i trickle water on their faces and they just love ir. They "ask" for more like they would food. They swim alot, and mine eat out of water more rather then a dish (except i usually tong feed) and also like fish better then anytuing and more than my others. Dont know if that's typical but since both mine are lik that so i wouldnt doubt it.

BUT... red spotted is fast becoming my favorite. I have one, and he's the sweetest guy EVER, so so so calm, but ACTIVE DAY. And he's BIG, he'll probably be like 3 feet (big for a male). they tend to get big, females especially as always.

I also have a checkered - Checkereds are very widely available, eat EVERYTHING (mine has never refused a thing) and most aret vicious beasts like mine.:D

And an eastern as you know, my flame. He's weird. Goes NUTS at feeding time, dives in the water if t moves... sometimes I wonder if he is a little....underdeveloped.:D He'll bit on impulse too. Basically I can't say easterns are great cause mine abnormally fruity.:p

RedSidedSPR
10-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Also there are specIes that are known as unfriendly, like infernalis (CA red sided). There are notorious picky eaters and notorious GOOD eaters, but basically any garter is about the same care-wise.:)

tress29
10-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Welcome! I don't have a garter snake yet either! We have a leopard gecko, a western hognose snake and a versicolor tatantula.

katach
10-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Hopefully I should have some NW ready around March. If anyone is interested.

chris-uk
10-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Welcome. I only have checkereds, and only for a month or so. But the ones we have all have different personalities - one skittish all the time, one that likes climbing vines and is always happy to be held, the albino took a while to settle but is really calm now, one that had a bad shed and keeps hidden now, and one that was curious but now is a reclusive non-eater.
Others have their favourites, I only have one point of reference (albeit 5 examples of it).

PINJOHN
10-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Welcome from a storm hit Liverpool:)

infernalis
11-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Also there are specIes that are known as unfriendly, like infernalis (CA red sided). There are notorious picky eaters and notorious GOOD eaters, but basically any garter is about the same care-wise.:)

I know of one friendly Infernalis.... http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

kibakiba
11-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, Wayne you are pretty friendly aren't ya? :p

Mommy2many
11-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Any garter is a good garter....

Mrs N1ntndo
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forums. Any garters should be good. I have 4 Easterns myself. 2 are mine and 2 are my moms that Im holding until they are somewhat older. They are only about 5 and half months old and I have had them sence newborns. I had there mom. Easterns can grow to around 4ft long . But whatever garter you choose you will be happy and addicted.

Mommy2many
11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I also meant to say "Welcome" in the above post :)

infernalis
11-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Yeah, Wayne you are pretty friendly aren't ya? :p

Right up until someone gets under my skin. ;)

kibakiba
11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I think that's understandable for anyone.