PDA

View Full Version : Fir Bark?

abcat1993
05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
I know you aren't supposed to use pine or cedar, and I accidentally bought something that says it is fir tree bark. Should I get rid of it or not? I already put the old bedding in the garbage, so there's no going back to it now.:eek:

Cazador
05-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Matt,

Maybe somebody has a better answer than I do because I really don't know the answer. However, pine and cedar are hazardous to snakes because the aromatic compounds they secrete are harmful to the lungs. Unless you get better advise, I'd suggest reading the package thoroughly. Then sniff it. If it has a strong smell, don't even consider using it.

Rick

GarterGuy
05-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I've used fir bark before, it's doesn't have as much of the caustic oils that say your cedar or such has, and it seems to be safe. Also I've found that it tends to get moldy when it gets wet. I had used it with a pink toe tarantula and it did fine and didn't have any bad affects from it, but I did find that the bark got moldy underneth the T's water dish.
Roy

abcat1993
05-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah, it definitely has a strong smell, and it doesn't say what it is besides "fir bark". However I did read that it was the wood that's bad for them, and no site said anything about the bark.

CrazyHedgehog
05-16-2007, 07:16 AM
If you look up trees, there are millions, but lots in the same families...
Isn't fur in with spruce and pine?

mikm
05-16-2007, 07:20 AM
That's my understanding, same family of trees ...

abcat1993
05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes, there's a chance that it is a cedar or pine, but as you said it could be spruce too or many others. It probably would be pine though (it doesn't look that much like the bark though) since that is the most abundant as far as I know.

Cazador
05-16-2007, 07:49 PM
To be honest, it might stink to have to go buy new substrate, but spending the extra few dollars to be safe will be much better than having an unhealthy snake. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Rick

abcat1993
05-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree, I didn't get new substrate today, but I will tomorrow. I don't care anyway because it was free since it didn't scan right, and I wasn't about to complain (it was WAY overpriced).

mikm
05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
You know what Matt ?? I just recalled that when they sell XMAS trees in this area there is a variety called 'Douglas Fir'. That's probably indicative of the origin of the 'fir' bark. Good choice on your part to replace it ;)

drache
05-17-2007, 08:14 AM
I believe "fir" includes pine and cypress and pretty much anything that has "needles" rather than leaves

adamanteus
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I believe "fir" includes pine and cypress and pretty much anything that has "needles" rather than leaves

Yeah, that was my understanding of "fir".

abcat1993
05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Not necessarily needles, but something that isn't a leaf. Like cedar trees don't really have "needles" but they don't have leaves either.

drache
05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
that stuff's a lot like cypress - sort of knobby

Joshchan
05-17-2007, 10:25 PM
I use fir bark extensively in orchid growing. For the most part, I have found Douglas Fir bark to be relatively low odor and safe for everything from thumbnail dart frogs to fussy little orchids from the cloud forests of South America. It can get moldy if it gets wet. Usually, if it is of decent quality, it will hold up to high moisture levels for a long time. I try to use kiln dried bark when possible because it tends to have the least amount of active spores and possible aromatic compounds. I have my garter on fir bark now and it seems quite content with the whole thing. I think cleaning is a potential issue however. This is just my experience, your mileage my vary.
Josh

mikm
05-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Hey there Josh ... thanks so much for sharing !!! That's one of the nicest things about this forum ... everyone feels comfortable enough to just 'jump in' and share their experinces ... invaluable :D ...

enjoy your day !!!

drache
05-18-2007, 06:38 PM
thanks Josh
I'll have to look at the stuff again
nice evening to you

Canuck
08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I realize this is a very late reply lol, but for other people wondering to know I found this out about fir bark.

"
Bedding choices consist mainly of aspen, coconut bark or fir bark. My choice is coconut bark in my display tanks and aspen in my breeder racks. I have heard that Fir Bark can carry mites and must be heated before use ( I have never seen this but thought it was worth mentioning). NEVER USE PINE OR CEDAR SHAVINGS as the phenols they release are toxic to snakes. Many also use newspaper, paper towels, and Astroturf which are all acceptable substrate but on the ugly side."