PDA

View Full Version : Warren Buffett ?

PINJOHN
09-12-2011, 02:37 AM
I thought i might share this [not too unusual for me] incident from about fifteen years ago, the memory was prompted by the correspondence in the bucket of males thread
I along with three friends attended a meeting of the I.H.S [international herpetological society] it was the usual practice after the guest speaker was finished to have refreshments and sell any spare reps and amphibs you might have. a teenager was trying to sell two male redsided garters, he was ready to move on from garters and had arranged with another member to buy a python or monitor or some such,[i cant remember what] he was having no luck unloading the garters and i took pity on him and offered to buy them to allow his deal to go through even though i needed more redsided like an extra hole in the head,
on the way home [me driving] my friends could hold back their laughter no longer and went in to hysterics for most of the journey only sharing the joke when i began to get a little pee'd off at being left out . it seems that three years before when this young man had first attended along with two friends i had given then each two garter snakes and this budding entrepreneur had sold back to me the snakes i had given him for free :o Warren Buffett i am not :eek::o:D

guidofatherof5
09-12-2011, 05:33 AM
That is rich(pun not intended)
Great story. I can hear those guys laughing:D
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Oh man. Thats funny. Do you still have those snakes or no. Great story thank you for sharing.

PINJOHN
09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh man. Thats funny. Do you still have those snakes or no. Great story thank you for sharing.

I was hoping that no one would ask that question, :o both of those males escaped,
at the time of these events i used to keep my reps in a shed in the garden. [before i had my loft converted to my rep room] directly behind my house is railway sidings, lots of cover, and i have a small wildlife pond in the garden which contains the three types of British newt and common frogs which lay countless tadpoles, so no shortage of food stuff, one of my neighbors spotted one of them several years later, so i like to think that they lived out their natural lives.
All in all not a series of events to convince you all of my giant intellect:o:o:o:D

d_virginiana
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
That is hilarious :D

Mrs N1ntndo
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Another curiousity question then. You dont have to answer if you dont want to but how much did you buy your snakes back for?

PINJOHN
09-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I cant honestly remember Randi, what i do recall is they weren't cheap as he needed a specific amount to clinch his other deal, that's the reason he could not unload them, and that's the reason my friends were almost wetting them selves with laughter, not only had i bought back snakes i had given away free but i had paid well over the odds for them :eek::eek:.
Randi were you ever a district attorney? with just a few probing questions you have got me to reveal much more of my stupidity than i ever intended:o.
roped, tied, and branded, by a teenager oh the shame the shame :D

guidofatherof5
09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Your story simply shows another side of your personallity...........humility.
Let's call it that.:D

The more you share of that story the more I like you John.
We have much in common.
Looking forward to and hoping we meet next year. My kids were excited to hear of your possible visit to the Ranch.

PINJOHN
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Steve nothing short of death will keep me from visiting the ranch, in march next year i become entitled to my old age pension, [don't laugh] which the government allows a person to delay payment for as long as they wish,and as i have to work for a further four years because my daughter hopes to go to university, i intend to delay this pension for a year to fund my American trip, it would be great to meet some of you other American friends also.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-12-2011, 05:27 PM
I cant honestly remember Randi, what i do recall is they weren't cheap as he needed a specific amount to clinch his other deal, that's the reason he could not unload them, and that's the reason my friends were almost wetting them selves with laughter, not only had i bought back snakes i had given away free but i had paid well over the odds for them :eek::eek:.
Randi were you ever a district attorney? with just a few probing questions you have got me to reveal much more of my stupidity than i ever intended:o.
roped, tied, and branded, by a teenager oh the shame the shame :D

lmao...No Im not a district attorney. I just like questions. Sorry. I was just curious. It was a great story though.

Mommy2many
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
That is a great story, John. Let me know when you plan your Stateside trip, maybe we can meet in the "middle" so to speak.

Jeff B
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
That is a hilarious story thanks for sharing. Maybe your neighbors "sighting" was actually him catching them, and now he is just waiting for you to forget, so he can sell them to you, lol.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
That is a hilarious story thanks for sharing. Maybe your neighbors "sighting" was actually him catching them, and now he is just waiting for you to forget, so he can sell them to you, lol.

Lmao thats funny. Sorrry but it is.

PINJOHN
09-13-2011, 02:09 AM

Honest Jeff with my memory and business acumen that is a distinct possibility:confused:

PINJOHN
09-13-2011, 02:21 AM
That is a great story, John. Let me know when you plan your Stateside trip, maybe we can meet in the "middle" so to speak.
thanks for that offer Le Ann, what i have in mind [roughly] is to start on the east coast and loosely follow whats left of route 66 i say loosely because that would allow us to branch off where necessary to meet people, our intention is to end the holiday in Vegas and fly home from there

chris-uk
09-19-2011, 09:43 AM
John, after you mentioned this post yesterday I had to seek it out. Maybe we can borrow one of your males next year and breed from Binky.
I think I know a man in Liverpool that will buy the scrubs... :D

PINJOHN
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
now just who could that dumbo be?:confused:

Char361979
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
John, I don't know if you're interested but I've got four baby garters here... £30 the lot???? :p

guidofatherof5
09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
John, I don't know if you're interested but I've got four baby garters here... £30 the lot???? :p

Oh, that is good. Very good.:D

Char361979
09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Thought it was worth a shot....

chris-uk
09-19-2011, 03:38 PM

He would have to collect - you've priced so low it wouldn't pay the petrol to Liverpool and back to deliver. :)

Char361979
09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
He would have to collect

well yeah.... He' getting them cheap!! I can't see the issue.... :D

Mommy2many
09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
thanks for that offer Le Ann, what i have in mind [roughly] is to start on the east coast and loosely follow whats left of route 66 i say loosely because that would allow us to branch off where necessary to meet people, our intention is to end the holiday in Vegas and fly home from there

When you start in the East Coast, you will need to let me know. I assume you will probably start in New York. If not, I am still rather centralized to meet you somewhere. That would be fun!

RedSidedSPR
09-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Wow that's quite a vacation! Have you ever been 'over here'?

PINJOHN
09-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Wow that's quite a vacation! Have you ever been 'over here'?

I certainly have Jesse i have visited San Diego/San Francisco/lake Tahoe/ have been to Las Vegas four times and New York twice, did a road trip from Vegas to Yellowstone and back with my two eldest sons, i am a taxi driver so no prizes for guessing who did all the driving :( i suppose reading this you can guess how i feel about America and Americans, and the fact that the place has garter snakes is the icing on the cake :)

oh yes and rattlesnakes also :D:D

PINJOHN
09-20-2011, 03:25 AM
When you start in the East Coast, you will need to let me know. I assume you will probably start in New York. If not, I am still rather centralized to meet you somewhere. That would be fun!

It doesn't matter whether you are centralized or not Le Ann i will be heading in your direction and i am really looking forward to it, perhaps i might get a free cup of coffee because i surely cant get one on this side of the pond :D

PINJOHN
09-20-2011, 03:36 AM

sounds like a good deal but i would only be interested if they are checkerds, and whats the odds on that being the case :D:D

Char361979
09-20-2011, 06:30 AM
sounds like a good deal but i would only be interested if they are checkerds, and whats the odds on that being the case :D:D

Funny you should say that... They are!!!:eek: