PDA

View Full Version : New owner

dawn47978
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi, my name is Dawn. I am a proud new owner of a gartner. I'm not sure which one :( . Please I need all the info I can get. I have it housed in a 10 gallon , with a dirt bottom and a plant several sticks for hiding and a water dish for drinking and bathing. I also have a heating pad and light for it. I put nightcrawlers and wax worms in there. The snake [JAKE] seems very happy at at ease. Please help me be the best mom I can be. Oh i live in Indiana, if that helps. Thanks:)

adamanteus
05-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Dawn, and welcome to the forum. Please look at our General Care Sheets,

http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

This should give you a good start. Any questions please feel free to ask, the guys on this forum will be happy to help, I'm sure.

Ameivaboy
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
lol jake the snake, is somebody in your house an old wrestling fan

adamanteus
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I am a proud new owner of a gartner. I'm not sure which one :( .

Dawn, if you're unsure of the species/sub-species you have, you could post a picture and let us help to identify Jake.:)

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/181-posting-pictures.html?highlight=posting+pics

garterman07
05-14-2007, 05:39 PM
yes welcome to the forum, every body here is very helpful and can tell you almost any thing and every thing there is to know about a garter. a couple weeks ago i didn't know any thing now i know a great deal that will help me with all my garters. so feel free to post your questions!!! and have a good time

drache
05-14-2007, 07:26 PM
hi there, Dawn
welcome to this forum
nice to meet you and Jake

ssssnakeluvr
05-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Put the worms in a low bowl so he doesn't ingest dirt with the worm....also, they don't eat waxworms...or insects period... feeder fish are better than worms, no goldfish!

Stefan-A
05-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Welcome aboard, Dawn.

People here are indeed very helpful and I guarantee they'll give you good advice. :) Post a picture of your snake, we love challenges. ;)

Odie
05-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Hi, from Oeegon, Dawn :D

Snaky
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Welcom from Belgium, enjoy it here!

dawn47978
05-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Today is a GREAT DAY!!! I saw my snake Jake eat for the first time.He ate 2 roseys and an earthworm. Thanks all for all of the great information.

Cazador
05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi again Dawn,

Looks like you're already beginning to get some good advise, but as ssssnakeluvr (Don) said, forget the waxworms. Enjoy your time at thamnophis.com, and be sure to ask whenever you have questions. They'll all be respected on this forum.

Rick

P.S. Isn't it fun watching them eat :D.