PDA

View Full Version : I have to leave my babies! :(

d_virginiana
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I know I should be used to it by now, but I've got to leave my snakes to go to college next Monday. I guess it's a bit worse this year since Houdini's vision has deteriorated to the point that it's difficult to feed him. He still eats like a pig, but if someone who isn't used to him tries to feed him, they usually end up spooking him. Also, I don't like having to leave Harley since she's so young and her food has to be cut up tiny and tong-fed. Also, she's been handled every day since we got her and is incredibly calm. I'd hate to see all that progress backslide because of not being handled often.

I'm trying to teach my mother exactly how to feed them and convince her to handle them every day, but I can't help but be nervous about leaving them!

guidofatherof5
08-24-2011, 06:26 PM
How often will you be able to return?

d_virginiana
08-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Not sure, probably about once a month. Often enough to check on them, but not often enough to really take care of them. I know my mom will take care of them, but she's having a hard time feeding Houdini without him either getting substrate on the food or scaring him.

We're practicing the feeding routine though..

guidofatherof5
08-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Sounds like you're doing all you can.
Kudos to your mom for her help.;)

d_virginiana
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah, she's really good about keeping my animals when I'm away, especially considering how many we have. There's four dogs, seven cats, a frog, a giant millipede (which should be going with me), and the two snakes. I'll probably stop worrying once I check in on them a time or two.

Houdini should enjoy the next few days at least, since she's going to be hand-feeding him a snack every day till I leave so she can get used to it. :p

woody44
08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
My mom was never that cool about all my critters! It sounds like your babies are in good hands.

RedSidedSPR
08-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah, really... you're lucky you she's willing, whether she feeds right or not lol.

d_virginiana
08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I know, it's not so much that they're being fed 'wrong' just that Houdini needs to get used to another person feeding him, and I'm hoping he'll adjust quickly. Harley has no problem with it (especially since my mom tends to give her more food than I do...) :)

RedSidedSPR
08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah, i get the Houdini thing. That would stress me out too.:D

ConcinusMan
08-31-2011, 01:04 AM
I know I should be used to it by now, but I've got to leave my snakes to go to college next Monday. I guess it's a bit worse this year since Houdini's vision has deteriorated to the point that it's difficult to feed him. He still eats like a pig, but if someone who isn't used to him tries to feed him, they usually end up spooking him. Also, I don't like having to leave Harley since she's so young and her food has to be cut up tiny and tong-fed. Also, she's been handled every day since we got her and is incredibly calm. I'd hate to see all that progress backslide because of not being handled often.

I'm trying to teach my mother exactly how to feed them and convince her to handle them every day, but I can't help but be nervous about leaving them!

I definitely wouldn't have anyone handle them. Heck, I hardly handle my snakes myself. That's not important. They don't need it and sure as heck don't want it.

How many months are we talking about? If the house is cool, (low 70's) you can turn off all supplemental heat and just keep them at room temp. Your mom would then only need to make sure they have fresh water at all times, and wouldn't need to feed them as often or as much. They could be maintained like that for several months. It doesn't hurt them, they just won't do much growing.