PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Members Stay Safe

guidofatherof5
08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Looks like many of our members are going to be impacted this weekend by hurricane Irene.
Please stay safe during this weather problem.

Check in when you can.
You know how we worry.;)

snakeman
08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
hurricane smurricane.lol

indigoman
08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
The earthquake was enough excitement for one week! Thanks for your thoughts Steve.

RedSidedSPR
08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah we will probably get nailed...

Could be worse.. nothin' compared to the tornado this year that came through our yard...

Starling96
08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Hope all of you guy's are ok

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
did you guys see the wreckage from yesterday's earthquake?
http://www.grist.org/i/assets/earthquake_devastation
(http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2011/08/23/823-never-forget/dc-quake/)

sirtalis01
08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
lmao

did you guys see the wreckage from yesterday's earthquake?
http://www.grist.org/i/assets/earthquake_devastation
(http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2011/08/23/823-never-forget/dc-quake/)

brain
08-24-2011, 08:46 PM
The earthquake was enough excitement for one week!

Earthquake ... eartheqake ... I sit on a fault line ... to 5.8 ... ha I thumb my nose. :(

brain
08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
lmao

ditto ;)

Didymus20X6
08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Hurricane Irene. How ironic!

Because Irene is Greek for "peace."

guidofatherof5
08-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Watching some updates on hurricane Irene I see they are predicting a storm path involving New York and surrounding areas then up the Eastern seaboard.
Whether you believe this or not please be prepared for the worst.

infernalis
08-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Watching some updates on hurricane Irene I see they are predicting a storm path involving New York and surrounding areas then up the Eastern seaboard.
Whether you believe this or not please be prepared for the worst.

The rain has started.. backup batteries are charged and standing by.

guidofatherof5
08-25-2011, 07:27 AM
That's good to hear.

RedSidedSPR
08-25-2011, 07:29 AM
We're gonna go get a few things of water, our power seems to always go out, storm or no storm, so when there is a storm, youcan expect it.:rolleyes:

infernalis
08-25-2011, 07:37 AM
We're gonna go get a few things of water, our power seems to always go out, storm or no storm, so when there is a storm, youcan expect it.:rolleyes:

Sounds like my house.

There are two sharp corners in the road just past a bar... at least 4 times a year some drunk leaving the bar misses the corner and hits the pole.

4-8+ failures a year, each lasting several hours is pathetic.... Especially when it's bozo alcoholics..

RedSidedSPR
08-25-2011, 07:41 AM
It's bozo electric companies, land lords, and squirrels here.:D

Usually for a few hours... sometimes a day. Tornado power outage was 3 1/2 days.

PINJOHN
08-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Stay safe everyone, you yanks have taken us on a somewhat extreme and worrying roller coaster over the last year or so, blizzards, massive storms tornado's, excessive prolonged rainfall, hurricanes[tropical and otherwise],floods extreme heat, earthquakes there's not a lot more nature can throw at you guys except perhaps an asteroid strike [maybe i shouldn't be flippant about that].
O for the days of conventional and reasonably predictable weather, or am i just kidding myself and it's always been this way and we are just more aware of other peoples situations because of instant communication.
Anyway after all that rambling, please take care and keep us posted on your ongoing situation

Mommy2many
08-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Going out tomorrow to stock up on supplies that don't need to be heated, etc. I expect that we will lose cable, electric and phone services but our cables are all underground. School starts for one of my kids on Monday. They may have their first "snow day" on Monday:D

guidofatherof5
08-26-2011, 07:04 AM
I just saw a forcast of 6-12 inches of rain for New York City.
Please stay safe, all members.

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
We stocked up on batteries, water, cash in case the ATMs go out.... We also filled buckets of water because if we lose power the only way to flush the toilets will be with buckets. Luckily I have no eggs incubating but anyone that does might wanna consider a backup plan. And yay me, I'm supposed to be at work all day Sunday. How many people are actually going to come to the pet store to buy dog food in a hurricane!?! Then again they may declare state of emergency. And then there's always the chance we lose power and i have to close the store and shoo out any customers.

snakehill
08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Going out tomorrow to stock up on supplies that don't need to be heated, etc. I expect that we will lose cable, electric and phone services but our cables are all underground. School starts for one of my kids on Monday. They may have their first "snow day" on Monday:D Damn Le Ann! It's headed straight for us !!!! :eek::eek::eek:

RedSidedSPR
08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
And yay me, I'm supposed to be at work all day Sunday. How many people are actually going to come to the pet store to buy dog food in a hurricane!?! Then again they may declare state of emergency. And then there's always the chance we lose power and i have to close the store and shoo out any customers.

That's just not right.:D

brain
08-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Yea it looks like a wet and wounderful times ahead.

My wife wants to move to RI :D:D

I'll stick to my earthequakes thank you very much.

A whole lot dryer;)

Mommy2many
08-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Damn Le Ann! It's headed straight for us !!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I know! We are in for a direct hit with Category 1 winds, to quickly change over to tropical storm as it moves across Connecticut. All in all, a very powerful storm. I expected it to be similar to Gloria in 1985 but they are comparing it to storms from 1950's and the "Great New England Hurricane" of 1938.

I went to the store today to get school clothes and storm supplies. The grocery store had no bottled water and hardley any bread. I was lucky enough to find bread at the deli counter and a loaf of rye at the bakery. I decided to "bottle" my own water at home. I am saving the milk jugs and have filled all empty ones with water and also filled any pitchers I may have. This is for drinking and for animals. I intend to fill a plastic garbage can with water from the hose for toilets (cause it doesn't have to be potable) and maybe even some very large pasta pots.

I think we'll be OK. I ordered lunch meat at the deli today and completely forgot to pick it up, so now I need to go back tomorrow for it.:mad: That is what the bread was for, so we don't need to heat it. I will cook a 7 lb turkey breast tomorrow and a couple turkey legs, so we'll have that to nibble on as one.

I went to the Christmas Tree shop and bought cheap pillar candles. I have about a dozen now, so that should work if power goes out. We laso have some Yankee Candle Jars, which will also help.

Fed the snakies tonight and will try again tomorrow, just to make sure we don't need to go into the freezer unnecessarily. May need to get more crickets for foggies, I'll have to see tomorrow.

They already cancelled my daughter's first day of school on Monday.

I'll try & get pics as the weekend progresses. Thanks for the concern!

RedSidedSPR
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah... probably get nailed with a cat.1... Your in a worse spot now though.

Seriously hard rain, on and off all evening. Like, NAILED by HARD rain, for 10 seconds, than off... And on... And off.

Mommy2many
08-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Jesse, you must still have power. Is it moving over/thru your area right now?

RedSidedSPR
08-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Well.. not quite yet... like I said rain on and off... Pretty hard rain.

But it hasn't really hit yet..

Mommy2many
08-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Keep safe.

count dewclaw
08-26-2011, 08:16 PM
For those of you "in the line of fire", keep safe. Looks like we will be on the edge of the storm here in central NY.

guidofatherof5
08-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a lot of rain coming from this storm.
Seems like the rain causes most of the problems in these storms.
Everyone please stay safe.

Mommy2many
08-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Steve, you are right, at least in my area. It will be localized flooding and many trees and branches down, making traveling a problem. They already canceled Ashley's first day of school, which kinda tells you how serious they are taking this storm. They have never canceled school this far in advance of any storm that I have ever been aware of. Including the blizzards we have had in the past. We are gonna sit tight and keep ya'all updated.

kibakiba
08-26-2011, 08:37 PM
The news siad we'r getting rain from the storms over there, but that doesnt make senes to me.

Mommy2many
08-26-2011, 08:38 PM
No, not from Hurricane Irene. She is only stretching into Eastern PA, I believe.

PINJOHN
08-27-2011, 02:25 AM
I have been able to visualize to a very small degree what you will be going through, last night here in Liverpool we had a storm lots of very loud thunder and lightning accompanied by torrential showers, not bad enough to cause any damage just inconvenience,mostly to the thousands of visitors from all over the world here for the bank holiday Beatles weekend
please stay safe.

drache
08-27-2011, 04:59 AM
right now it's so calm here
we're not in an evacuation zone, but I know people who are, and several hospitals and nursing homes were evacuated yesterday
it's like were holding our breath
I've set up the bunnies in the sunporch
let's hope this Irene doesn't hang out here much
have you seen this hurricane tracker thing?
Hurricane Irene Tracking Map - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/projects/hurricanes/?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=thab1#!/2011/Irene)

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 06:49 AM
LOT of wind last night and right now...(raining now too) but nothing to bad

infernalis
08-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I hope the weather holds out.. Just signed in a group of six camping out all weekend.

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
First (to my knowledge) tree just fell. Watched it happen.

....was actually kind of cool....

guidofatherof5
08-27-2011, 07:22 AM
First (to my knowledge) tree just fell. Watched it happen.

....was actually kind of cool....

Unless you're the tree:D

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 07:24 AM
This is true.

Man, it's windy... I cant tell if that's rain going sideways, or debri.:D (ok not that bad...)

drache
08-27-2011, 07:30 AM
I can't believe they're actually shutting down the entire NYC mass transit system
this has never happened before
we've had partial service interruptions, but nothing planned, or of this magnitude

snakehill
08-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Damn Le Ann! It's headed straight for us !!!! :eek::eek::eek: I'm glad I live in an antique house! (cape) It's been through a few hurricanes in it's time!!! STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!;)

snakehill
08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
How about an update from members in the southeast! Would like to know what to expect. Thanks! :cool: Jesse?

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 12:38 PM
No different... 2 (to my knowledge) trees down so far, looooots of rain and high winds..

snakehill
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I have a bad feeling that a tree is going to fall on my car!:(

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Ditto. Would have parked somewhere else, but there's nowhere in our yard WITHOUT trees.

snakehill
08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Same here!!!:eek:

Mommy2many
08-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Hang in there, Jesse! Do you have tornado warnings down there? I think I heard they are in Virginia Beach beach right now.

Just heard that New York City is shutting down power in the evac zones (I believe) and the buildings in the city are being told to shut down the elevators prior to the power going out.

We have already had alot of rain here today. I had to clear the drain in my driveway by my retaining wall. It had plugged up while I dropped Erin off at a birthday party. I was gone maybe 20 mins and my driveway was dangerously close to flooding my basement! By the time I got inside, I was soaked. It has stopped right now but has come in waves since early this morning.

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 01:47 PM
No warnings that i've seen. We already had a tornado come right through our yard this year, i dont' need another!!!!:D

Mommy2many
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree with you. Saw the pics and I wouldn't want another either!

Mommy2many
08-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I just heard that the roof was torn off of a mall in Raleigh, NC?

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Haven't heard that.. but i don't doubt it. We will drive around when the rain eases up.

snakehill
08-27-2011, 02:35 PM
How long has it been raining now??????:confused:

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Since 2:00am

drache
08-27-2011, 02:51 PM
we've had a few sudden downpours, but not much wind so far
they're predicting that the brunt of it will hit us at 8:00am tomorrow, so the suspense is crazy
I wonder how much worse it will be than that little one that went through a few blocks from here last year

snakehill
08-27-2011, 03:03 PM
rhea, where are you again??:confused:

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Brooklyn... Right Rhea?

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Very calm now...

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2011, 07:31 PM
We are just starting to see things picking up now... I've already got one giant tree limb down in the back yard and there is tree litter ALL over the road and yard... not sleeping in my bedroom tonight. The gianormous oak tree in our neighbors yard has carpenter ants eating it from the inside out, it already lost a very big limb a few months ago... and It's a direct threat to that side of our house. Hopefully not though, as the snake room sits DIRECTLY under my bedroom. :mad: I also live right across the street from a man made mound-of-grass-dam designed to hold water back from the entire town beside us. It's usually just grass, but during storms it fills with water like a lake and entire trees disappear inside of it. I have seen this thing fill right up to the road during a regular bad rainstorm... we are now forecasted for 8-10 inches of rain.... hoping it doesn't fill to the point of overflowing, or worse.... hope it doesn't give!!!

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 07:34 PM
My bedroom is in the same situation...

It seems like its over here... After 20 or so hours of storm.

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I am now under a TORNADO WARNING. yay...... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

RedSidedSPR
08-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Been there done that.

That sucks.

snakeman
08-27-2011, 09:02 PM
My power went out.right in the middle of the ufc.I'm pissed.and bored

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2011, 09:02 PM
well... it's 11:00 and the tornado has not taken out my house yet.... so I'm hoping it's done now. Heck I even have power and internet. for now....:confused:

I am currently making soup. I'm hungry :rolleyes:

PINJOHN
08-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Enjoying your updates and reports the great thing is no one has had any real problems, fingers crossed it stays that way, radio's telling me its reached New York so all the best every one keep us informed

drache
08-28-2011, 05:27 AM
didn't sleep much last night
there are some really big trees on neighbouring properties, and when the gales hit, those whip about quite impressively
so far nothing big has come down
we are trying to work out how not to walk the dog, and whether we can get him to do his business in an area under the stoop that's outside, but very protected
the center of the storm isn't even quite here yet, and it' s already a bit scary

RedSidedSPR
08-28-2011, 06:25 AM
I survived the night....:D looks like we're done down here.

guidofatherof5
08-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Glad to hear you are out of harms way.

Mommy2many
08-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Lots of rain:(
Windy now but not too bad and breeze is cool. Driveway keeps flooding though:mad:

infernalis
08-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Lots of rain right now.. I'm going back in the woods now to check on those campers.

drache
08-28-2011, 09:36 AM
here, it feels like it's over

ConcinusMan
08-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah it looks like the worst hit your area yesterday

brain
08-28-2011, 10:15 AM
It might just be that Wayne is getting flooded.

drache
08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
it was kind of weird because I had believed that the worst would hit late morning today
so when it got intense last night, I thought that was just the beginning, and it was scary
but then it was the worst we ended up getting, and I am glad about that
we ended up with some debris on the street - half a tree blocking a neighbour's front door

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6073/6089377456_ca6cbbc057_b.jpg

ConcinusMan
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I haven't seen a drop of rain since early July and it's been pretty darn hot.(90's) Had some spectacular lighting around 4am yesterday but nothing that produced any rain and went back to clear skies by daylight. Getting a cool down to around 70 later this week with a small chance of precip. That's about as exciting as it gets around here in late summer. Nothing like this storm happens this time of year. We get stuff like this storm usually in November/December. Not much better 9 months out of the year. Soaking rain and high winds.

brain
08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Looks very minnor compared to what was predicted. Is that a down branch to the right of the young lady?

PINJOHN
08-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Lots of rain right now.. I'm going back in the woods now to check on those campers.

not sure whats going on, i read this post and started hearing the music from DELIVERANCE :eek: :D:D:D:D:D

drache
08-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Looks very minnor compared to what was predicted. Is that a down branch to the right of the young lady?
it was not nearly as bad as anticipated and for that I'm glad
right next to Mikhaila is a torn branch, but that larger green mass a bit further down the side walk is a half a tree, blocking a neighbour's door
lots of trees were downed

infernalis
08-29-2011, 07:16 AM
not sure whats going on, i read this post and started hearing the music from DELIVERANCE :eek: :D:D:D:D:D

The young couple chickened out and left.. I even loaned them my motor home (Camper)

The family of six stayed the whole weekend in a tent and just left this morning.

Now the sun is shining.... all we got was some rain and mildly strong wind.

brain
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
The young couple chickened out and left.. I even loaned them my motor home (Camper).

Run Forest Run :)

The family of six stayed the whole weekend in a tent and just left this morning.

Brave souls and how did they fair in a tent! :eek:

infernalis
08-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Run Forest Run :)

Brave souls and how did they fair in a tent! :eek:

Their kids played in the mud for 2 days straight.

The wind was blocked by trees, so all in all, their camp stayed intact.

I bet they will all be wanting (hot) showers as soon as they get home.

guidofatherof5
08-29-2011, 02:23 PM
I just got a phone email from Le Ann(Mommy2many). They are without power and cable but are OK.

RedSidedSPR
08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
That's good... except for the cable. Ouch.:D

(not really we havent had cable for 4 years)

What's a "phone email"?

ScimitarX
08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the update, glad to know both their family and everyone else is safe :)

ConcinusMan
08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I just got a phone email from Le Ann(Mommy2many). They are without power and cable but are OK.

Last I heard, more than 2 million homes and business are still without power as of early this morning.

indigoman
08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the update on Le ann, glad to hear they are ok!

ConcinusMan
08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
That's good... except for the cable. Ouch.:D

(not really we havent had cable for 4 years)

What's a "phone email"?

Cable sucks and it's too expensive. Besides, all I need is their high speed internet which comes in on the same cable. With that and my big monitor, I can watch all the shows I care to watch online, when I want to, without all the bull.:D Heck, every now and then I hook the computer up to my 42 inch HDTV and watch my shows that way, over the internet. Cable TV. who needs it.:rolleyes:

RedSidedSPR
08-29-2011, 05:08 PM
No one.

now all i need is good computer and a big monitor.:rolleyes:

ConcinusMan
08-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Most TV's are monitors, only they have TV tuners built in. How about a 42 inch HD monitor? Just buy the TV and hook up your computer. It's that simple. Of course, in order to look good you need a fairly expensive graphics card in your computer. Onboard graphics isn't going to cut it.

RedSidedSPR
08-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, my TV is smaller than my monitor.:o

We just haven't had the money for a TV or new computer.. despite how cheap they are now. (wow)

ConcinusMan
08-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, well, I blew my 2009 tax return on one. It was worth the $1200. Just saying if you could ever do it, that it's worth it.;)

RedSidedSPR
08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I know. Very worth it. Along with a nice PC.... seriously needed. But seriously can't.

Mommy2many
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi Everyone!

We are safe and back on the grid (so to speak)
Thank you, Steve, for letting everyone know we were still around; just a little unreachable for awhile:D

Had to go out today for appointments, many very large trees down and flooding. Connecticut still has 600,000 or so without power (that's alot for our state). That is around 20% of the population of CT.

My sister is a teacher in a neighboring town that has no power what so ever. They were scheduled to start today. They are now starting school on September 6th.

All in all, we fared ok. There is so much going on around here, that I hate to think what it would be like if we were hit with a category 1 hurricane or higher. We initially had a tropical storm, with alot of rain on Saturday into Sunday and the strongest winds appeared to be after the eye went thru, yesterday.

Thank you all for the concern and warm thoughts!

Le Ann

brain
08-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Good to hear all is well ...

Gene0514
09-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I was in Aruba during the hurricane although it did affect me there as well (flight was canceled, and was pretty hard to book another flight). Everything seems ok. No damage to our house, we didn't even get a power outage. Was a bit worried about the native snakes so I went over to the empty lot we find many garters and brown snakes at today and found 4 garters (one of which was a baby about 4") and a baby brown snake in like 10 min or less, so the native snakes seem to be fine. Unfortunately a large pond known as Wolfe's Pond was destroyed. It is right next to the ocean so the only thing keeping the water in was a dam, which got breached and the pond drained out and seawater came in. Many fish, turtles, and even water snakes lived there. Garter snakes lived around it as well. Not sure if anything is still there. I'm gonna visit that pond soon to see how bad the damage is.

guidofatherof5
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Keep an eye on Katie. Looks like she's next in line to hit the East Coast.
Tropical Storm KATIA (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5-daynl#contents)
Gulf Coast members have Lee(thirteen) to contend with. Possibly 20 inches of rain in some areas.
Tropical Depression THIRTEEN (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents)

ConcinusMan
09-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Oh good grief

RedSidedSPR
09-01-2011, 07:36 PM
What he said... hope that's not too bad.

snakehill
09-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm back! Lost power Sunday at 8:45 am. Power was back on Wednesday at 12:50 pm. Cable did not come back on until 15 minutes ago! I have 1454 posts to read on this forum! :eek:

RedSidedSPR
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Hehehe

ConcinusMan
09-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Most of the posts are just mindless babbling anyway. I mean, look at my post count and the amount of time I've had to make them. One can only do that by doing plenty of mindless babbling.:p

guidofatherof5
09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm back! Lost power Sunday at 8:45 am. Power was back on Wednesday at 12:50 pm. Cable did not come back on until 15 minutes ago! I have 1454 posts to read on this forum! :eek:

Glad things are getting back to normal for you.

snakehill
09-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Well I guess I didn't have to worry about my car in the hurricane! All I had to do was go down to Cumbies to get gas! Went into the store and while I was in there my car was side swiped my an idiot pulling a 31 foot camper! It's actually a good thing. I will be getting a new door! (Power window not working on it now!) Have no side view mirror on the drivers side though! Scary! What's next?:p

RedSidedSPR
09-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Idiots in 31 foot campers suck.:p

ConcinusMan
09-03-2011, 11:17 AM
What's next?:p

Another storm from the looks of it.:eek: I think people are just going to have to get used to it. The strength and frequency of these storms are only going to increase in the coming decades. The polar ice caps are melting at an unprecedented rate. It won't be long before all coastal cities in the world will have to be permanently evacuated.

kibakiba
09-03-2011, 05:34 PM
America can be the next Atlantis!