PDA

View Full Version : Gravid snake

poissonguppy
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey all,

I was walking outside when I heard a distrubance near some vine ground covering. I, of course, had to investigate and found a gravid garter snake! It looked pretty chunky compared to my other one, and after looking at some gravid snake pics on here, I'm pretty sure the one I caught is pregnant. After reading a particular thread, I'm guessing it has about two weeks to go...

Anyway, when I found it, its cloaca looked enlarged and pink/red. I put it in an aquarium with a basic setup. Can anyone refer me to any sites or give me info on pregnant garters? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Thamnophis
05-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Maybe you can ask the things you want to know on this forum.

By the way... what I would do when I caught a pregnant snake and I would keep it, I would release at least half of the young where i found the mom.

adamanteus
05-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Bibi, the best place to get your Garter Snake questions answered is right here on our forum! Ask away, the guys on here can give you all the information you could need.

poissonguppy
05-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Okay. She seems really frantic and I read a little bit about taking care of baby garters. I might just release her. She seems to be really out of it.... She has an inverted flower pot, water bowl, and newspaper as bedding. What would you guys suggest to do to calm her down?

adamanteus
05-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, if she seems "frantic" I would guess that she's stressed by her recent capture. Add another hide or two, (and make sure she can actually hide in them), that will help her feel a little more secure. Then just leave her completely alone for a day or two until she settles in.

Cazador
05-13-2007, 01:57 PM
You might also consider basically covering the bottom of the enclosure with fake leafy plants to give her a little extra security/hiding area.

KITKAT
05-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay. She seems really frantic and I read a little bit about taking care of baby garters. I might just release her. She seems to be really out of it.... She has an inverted flower pot, water bowl, and newspaper as bedding. What would you guys suggest to do to calm her down?

In addition to others' suggestions, I have found that it helps wild caught herps if you cloak the glass on aquaria, if that is where you have them contained. They do not understand glass... you can see through it and yet cannot pass through it. So I take black construction paper and tape it to all four sides of the enclosure, until the herp calms down and learns the limits of the new environment. Then I remove the paper from a small side of the tank, wait for any behavioral adjustment from the herp, and then remove another side... and so on.

adamanteus
05-13-2007, 04:55 PM
That's a very good idea KITKAT. It won't apply much to me as I use timber vivaria, but it's a good idea for those of us using all glass.

KITKAT
05-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I guess after reading my post again, that it should be said that the paper is INSIDE the tank. If you put it outside the tank, the animal stresses more, due to the fact you've just made a MIRROR.:eek:

adamanteus
05-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Haha! I understood you, but very wise to make the point clearer!