PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Montana!

xStatic
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone (:

I'm new to garters, but not to snakes. I just got my first garter, a pretty little albino checkered girl. I've always loved garter snakes. We have tons of them around here by and in the rivers. They're definitly the most visible snakes. Always out sunning themselves on the biking and hiking paths. I've always caught them but never tried to keep them. I decided to go for a CB garter and I just love the look of albino checkered, so when I came across a nice female at a good price, I snatched her up! No name as of yet, I'm going to wait and see how here temperment is. She's not too old so it probably wont be the best indicator anyway, but still.

Also, just looking for some suggestions. ATM I'm going to hook up a UTH with a thermostat, but since garters like to bask and my other snakes are nocturnal, I wasn't sure if she would prefer a basking light in addition to the UTH?

Stefan-A
08-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard.

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the forum!

personally, I prefer heat lamps, and I think it's better for a lot of reasons. I don't think you'd need both, but I do lamp instead oh UTH... Some people do UTH though, and I'm sure it's fine.

xStatic
08-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks! What wattage would you suggest for a 10g glass viv with a screen lid?
Is it alright to use a infrared bulb all 24 hours?
There should be plenty of daylight coming in through the windows to light up the room.
How long do these bulbs typically last?
I'm assuming I will need to use a higher wattage once winter comes along, but right now the house stays at a very consistent 75 degrees fahrenheit

As you can probably tell, I've only ever used UTH's and I don't want to end up screwing something up or having to go buy and test out 10 different bulbs

PINJOHN
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Welcome from liverpool, glad you have woken up to the greatest of all snakes. :d:D

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I use a normal 60 wat. Not a reptile basket or whatever. Same bulbs as are ceiling fans lol.

They like it around 80-90 hot side, and 64-70 on the cool side. But if you can't donthat, keep the heat lower, and the cool side match. I have to settle for 82-85 hot side, 76-77 cool side. An thats perfectly fine.

Be careful with sunlight, don't let it heat up the tank.

xStatic
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Cool,

What about at night? I can't leave the normal bulbs on then because I'm sure that would screw with their day/night cycle. It's dry here, and it usually gets a lot colder at night and fairly warm during the day. I know they aren't nocturnal like my other snakes but night time temps would be approaching 60F. Is this okay? Or should I offer another heat source at night, like the UTH at 70 or so? I'm not home every single night so I have to either have something I can leave on all the time, or something with a timer on it

BLUESIRTALIS
08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Welcome!

katach
08-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Welcome! Can we see your little beauty?

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 03:14 PM
The night temps should be fine. They do need a good sized cycle of dark. No extra heat at night

jitami
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Welcome. Congratulations on your baby girl!

Garters do prefer to bask (as you've seen on the hiking/biking trails), but with just a 10 gallon tank I'd be very careful with any sort of heat lamp or heat emitter. She likely doesn't need anything right now, but in the winter a mat with a thermostat would be the safest. 10 gallon tanks just heat up too quick with heat lamps... this coming from someone who practically cooked her first garter before figuring this out :o

You could put the heat lamp on a thermostat, too. I've done that in a pinch, but it would still be nearly impossible to get a heat gradient in 10 gallons.

xStatic
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! Here are some pics of her!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/albino_garter.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/albino_garter_2.jpg

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I keep my 10gal lamp at a slight angle, but even without I can keep it at a good gradient. But it is more dificult.

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
She's awesome!

katach
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
She is very pretty! I love that darker orangish spot on her neck!

guidofatherof5
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Welcome from the great T.radix State of Iowa.
Nice to have you on the forum.

xStatic
08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone, I agree! She is a very pretty little snake.

@RedSidedSPR could you explain how you keep your lamp at an angle? Just make it so all of the heat isn't directly straight down into the tank?

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
It's clipped to a shelf right above the tanks. I it twists by the clip part, so i just tilt it into the corner a little. it also has a dimming feature, so i don't have to put it one full blast. I forgot about that, but that might be part of it.

xStatic
08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Okay thanks! I also have a clip on lamp with a dimmer. I'll try using it with some normal bulbs and see how the temps are

RedSidedSPR
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Well then:D

Odie
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi, from Oregon, xStatic :)