PDA

View Full Version : Nocturnal?

nessy
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Are common garter snakes mainly active during the day or at night in the wild? because my baby hides all day and only comes out in the evening, is it normal or a sign of illness? I have been told that they are supposed to be active during the day - one of the benefits of keeping garters. aparently.:confused:

Hilde
09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
My snake does the same ;)
That's normall for baby gartersnakes. When they are adults, they're more active. But even then, they hide a lot, thats why they need a lot of hiding places

chloe
09-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi Nessy

I am not that far away from you, i live near llandudno. I have noticed that with my babies as well, some seem to wake up more at night, they seem to grow out of it though i have found.

nessy
09-07-2006, 05:00 AM
hi chloe, wow wales, that is quite close considering everyone else here is abroad.

Thamnophis
09-07-2006, 07:38 AM
In the wild gartersnakes are active during the evenings when it is to hot during the day.
For young snakes it is very dangerous to be continuously active during the day because there is a big chance that they get eaten.

CrazyHedgehog
09-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi nessy, I'm more 'Local' too, live near Rhyl..
I have found that the different types have quite different personalities..
The common garters are quite bold and daring, whilst the chequered are very shy...

brown655
09-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Baby snakes are like baby anythings.You never know when they'll be awake or asleep.
.......................Daddy John