PDA

View Full Version : Obtaing a different species

Lovok
07-18-2011, 04:57 PM
If I would want to try keeping a different species than what I could get wild in my area, how would I go about it? I live in Maryland, so if I wanted say, a Radix, how could I get one?

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Buying it captive bred. Online or locally. Scott Felzer, Don Belnap, there are lots of breeders out there, plus a lot of people on this forum. Check the classefields.

You can have them shipped to you overnight, or pick them up, but you probably won't have many local choices.

Lovok
07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
this is a start i suppose. thx.

guidofatherof5
07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Contact forum member sirtalis01(Julio) he lives in Queens, NY and may be able to help you. He's as close a breeder I could think of.
Garter Snake Forum - View Profile: sirtalis01 (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/sirtalis01.html)

Lovok
07-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks. I had a loss today- Scylla died. I never thought I'd get this emotionally invested in a garter, but I did, and I'm really, REALLY upset.

I'm nowhere near ready to get another since it just happened today, but I know eventually i will. I don't live in a rural area either (I found Scylla up in PA when visiting a friend), so finding another wild one will be slim to none in happening.

I hate this feeling. :(

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

indigoman
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Lovak, I'm in Woodbridge,Va. if you are interested in T.marcianus,checkered garters. I have both albino and hets. pictures are in my photo albums no charge but i don't ship.

guidofatherof5
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.
The little beggars have a way of capturing our hearts.

ConcinusMan
07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
...And chowing down on it like it's a pinky mouse.

Lovok
07-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you all!! I'm leaning toward one of the red-sided varieties; I really like the coloration of T. Parietalis and T. Infernalis, but neither are indigenous here.
I'll do some more research and at some point, contact the forum members you mentioned too.

Indigoman- Checkereds are cool, and you're not that far and a road trip might be feasible, so if I have no luck finding a red-sided, I'll be back in touch with you.

Thanks again all- the next few days (and probably weeks) are gonna be rough without seeing the glow of the tank light when I get home from work. :(

snakehill
07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Awww... So sorry!!!!!:(

Mommy2many
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

d_virginiana
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry for your loss. :( You don't really realize how much company snakes can be until you lose one..

Lovok
07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Sorry for your loss. :( You don't really realize how much company snakes can be until you lose one..

Truer words were never spoken. Scylla WAS my company, pretty much exclusively since December of last year.

I'd not been on here for some time, mostly because I was hit by a car last November while riding my motor scooter. I was in the hospital early all of that month, and even though I was in traction with tubes sticking out from me, I worried constantly. My roomie is no fan of snakes, but he stepped up and helped take care of her when I couldn't. Even HE had to admit she was cool! :D

When I finally was released, I couldn't DO anything except lay in bed and heal. That's where Scylla came in. I'd watch her cruise around her tank, talk to her when I'd hobble by, I was still mobile enough to take her out & handle her, and other times she'd watch me when I'd be doing exercises or simply moving around in the room. When my friends couldn't keep me company or visit, Scylla was there.

Now it just feels empty, and I think finding out how important she was to me makes me think getting another snake would be a good idea, and better to get one sooner than later. I don't want to rush, but there IS a certain imperative to it, if that makes any sense.

ConcinusMan
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Took me several years after losing my concinnus pair that I raised from babies, before I could even look at another garter snake. I understand how the loss can sting.

I had those two from the time I graduated high school, and they lived about 20 years. Two or three years after they died, I decided I was ready for garter snakes again. I missed them. That's when I joined the forum and naturally, that's how my screen name came about. I didn't even have any garter snakes when I joined! :o