PDA

View Full Version : Whitesided fl. green water snake

BLUESIRTALIS
07-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Has anyone seen the whitesided fl. green water snake for sale on kingsnake.com that snake is awesome.:D

ssssnakeluvr
07-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Awesome!!! would almost call that piebald..... and just a little out of my price range!!!

snakehill
07-18-2011, 07:39 AM
I couldn't find it. Can you post the link? Thanks:)

d_virginiana
07-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I've been drooling over that ad for about a week now...

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Nothing came up when I searched...

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Found it.. HOLY CRAP!! That's an expensive snake!!!

Here (for those who can't find it)
kingsnake.com Classifieds: WHITESIDE FLORIDA GREEN WATER SNAKE adult female UNBELIEVABLE! (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=99&de=866618)

BLUESIRTALIS
07-18-2011, 08:09 AM
http://market.kingsnake.com/image/1214937.jpg

BLUESIRTALIS
07-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Could you imagine breeding that to the erythristic fl. greens? I wan't this snake so bad, but my wife would kill me if i spent that kind of money on a snake.

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
They can keep it for that kind of money!

Stefan-A
07-18-2011, 09:24 AM
$1995? Wouldn't even pay 10% of that, not even if it had all its pigments.

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 09:26 AM
It's not the most attractive IMO. I've never really been a fan of albinos and snows etc. But the babies that would come from that...

BLUESIRTALIS
07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
They can keep it for that kind of money!

Way to much of a risk for me. It is a nice snake though. I just hope that gene don't go to waste i saw a baby calico fl. green before ,but i haven't seen or heard any status on that snake in a couple of years.

sirtalis01
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
itss awesome its almost leucitic...a beauty to me but will NOT pay 1995..

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
It actually does look like a pied... Whitesideds have a definitive stripe of patterning down their backs. That animal is awesome, some noob all morph crazy will probably buy her and end up killing her. Honestly, if you bred that morph to the red phase of this species, the babies would probably still come out white, the only red tinting that would show would be the scales that still have some color. When you have pied and whitesided animals, the white stays WHITE no matter what you mix in. It's far too much money for a wild collected water snake. You buy an animal like that and you just don't know what it's carrying and if it will live long enough to prove out. I have a feeling we will watch this ad price drop over months... Remember the pied sunbeam snake? They only tried to sell him for what, a year?

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't know who would buy that. I guess the same people who would buy $30,000 balls...

Didymus20X6
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2r5vp8z.gif

Chondro788
07-19-2011, 05:23 AM
I think its an incredible animal and would love to have it. I am with the rest of you though, that the price is too high, but if thes price were about $500, I would considered it pretty hard. :D
- Jason

BLUESIRTALIS
07-19-2011, 06:48 AM
It actually does look like a pied... Whitesideds have a definitive stripe of patterning down their backs. That animal is awesome, some noob all morph crazy will probably buy her and end up killing her. Honestly, if you bred that morph to the red phase of this species, the babies would probably still come out white, the only red tinting that would show would be the scales that still have some color. When you have pied and whitesided animals, the white stays WHITE no matter what you mix in. It's far too much money for a wild collected water snake. You buy an animal like that and you just don't know what it's carrying and if it will live long enough to prove out. I have a feeling we will watch this ad price drop over months... Remember the pied sunbeam snake? They only tried to sell him for what, a year?

I know what you mean on the white sideds and pieds but the red tint on the head and down the back on a white snake would be awesome, and you never know what might come out look what happened when scott bred a flame to the leucistic eastern. I think it would be a neat project for sure but i can't afford it.:eek:

guidofatherof5
07-19-2011, 06:53 AM
It will be interesting to see if the snake sells at that price or if it will have to be dropped.
At $1995.00 it might as well be $30,000.:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
If that snake was listed at $500 none of you would have had time to consider it as I would have pounced on it! :D

good point about breeding flame and leucistic, but the flame gene is different and it's much stronger. The red phase of green water snake is a much more toned down effect that affects the entire body overall... I don't think it'd change much once it's got such a powerful white-out gene over top of it. I had a beautiful red male at one point but he inexplicably dropped dead on me.... not surprising though since it was a baby.

BLUESIRTALIS
07-19-2011, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=aSnakeLovinBabe;168608]If that snake was listed at $500 none of you would have had time to consider it as I would have pounced on it! :D

good point about breeding flame and leucistic, but the flame gene is different and it's much stronger. The red phase of green water snake is a much more toned down effect that affects the entire body overall... I don't think it'd change much once it's got such a powerful white-out gene over top of it. I had a beautiful red male at one point but he inexplicably dropped dead on me.... not surprising though since it was a baby.[/QUOTE

That flame gene sure is a strong gene. I don't know much about the red phase green waters but there's not that many morphs for the green water snakes and you gotta start somewhere besides don't you think if the white does cover the red then the normal hets maybe red which would mean nicer looking hets. Shannon do you know who had the calico baby?

annulataarethebest
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
The person who found this snake back in April contacted me with pictures of it to see if I was interested, and at the time I wasn't trying to work with water snakes. So he said he was going to try and breed it. Apparently they couldn't get it to eat, so it ended up with Daniel from Sunshine Serpents, who got her feeding on bullfrog tadpoles. I contacted him when he first advertised it and said if the price drops a good bit I'd take her.

I'm currently looking for a nice male to breed her with, possibly a albino male, I don't think there's albino green water snakes out there but I'll mix em' if I have to... And for the record I too don't think the snake is "whitesided" but more of a "piebald" variation. She looks a lot like the Palmetto corn snakes that Don Soderburg is going to be selling this year, they're white with flecks of pattern here and there.

Chondro788
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I think the name Ivory is even better. Reminds me of the Ivory Blood Pythons. :)

RedSidedSPR
07-27-2011, 04:54 PM
This water snake isn't even all that attractive to me. Never been a fan of albinos and snows etc.

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-27-2011, 05:08 PM
The person who found this snake back in April contacted me with pictures of it to see if I was interested, and at the time I wasn't trying to work with water snakes. So he said he was going to try and breed it. Apparently they couldn't get it to eat, so it ended up with Daniel from Sunshine Serpents, who got her feeding on bullfrog tadpoles. I contacted him when he first advertised it and said if the price drops a good bit I'd take her.

I'm currently looking for a nice male to breed her with, possibly a albino male, I don't think there's albino green water snakes out there but I'll mix em' if I have to... And for the record I too don't think the snake is "whitesided" but more of a "piebald" variation. She looks a lot like the Palmetto corn snakes that Don Soderburg is going to be selling this year, they're white with flecks of pattern here and there.

I would prove out her trait separately first before you mix it with another line of any kind, that way you have an established line of "pure" pieds. Then after you get some visuals on the ground, you could start mixing and matching. Just a suggestion.

brain
07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I paid that much for both of my Womas. Which IMHO are much prettier than that lack on color?

annulataarethebest
07-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree Chondro, looks like the "Ivory" Eastern Hognose snake I once saw for sale for $15,000. I'll keep the Ivory name in mind...

I would prove out her trait separately first before you mix it with another line of any kind, that way you have an established line of "pure" pieds. Then after you get some visuals on the ground, you could start mixing and matching. Just a suggestion.

I agree, she'll most likely be bred to a normal male next year.

Here's another pic of her, from when she was first caught.

jitami
07-27-2011, 06:29 PM
She's quite impressive, Mike. Best of luck with her!

guidofatherof5
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Good looking snake.

Chondro788
07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Mike,
Are you definately gonna end up with her? I, like you, politely offered quite a bit less then asking price and was never even returned an e-mail.
I told him what I thought it was worth and what I was willing to pay and I didn't even get a "no thank you".
- Jason

RedSidedSPR
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
why do a-holes always end up with these thing?

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
why do a-holes always end up with these thing?

I assume you mean the seller?

RedSidedSPR
07-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I won't get into it... Forget I said anything :rolleyes:

RedSidedSPR
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh wait I see... Lol, yes of course I meant the seller :D

annulataarethebest
07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Mike,
Are you definately gonna end up with her? I, like you, politely offered quite a bit less then asking price and was never even returned an e-mail.
I told him what I thought it was worth and what I was willing to pay and I didn't even get a "no thank you".
- Jason

Hey Jason,
Yeah I'll have the snake by tomorrow afternoon. He told me a good number of people were interested in the snake and some offers came from bigger names in the reptile industry, at least down in FL, and he felt the snake would be better off with me so it doesn't end up "lost" somewhere. I'm curious as to what you think the snake was worth and how much you would've paid for it (you can PM me if you want). If I do end up reproducing this genetic morph they'll most likely be sold for around the price of albino water snakes.

Chondro788
07-28-2011, 05:58 AM
No I already posted it here, so I will say it again. I told him I thought it was worth around $500 and would pay maybe a little more to get the snake. I won't go into the reasons I gave him for the price, but I stand by my opinion that this snake is worth about $500. :cool:
- Jason

BLUESIRTALIS
07-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Congrats Mike! She sure is a looker.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Except for the lack of pigments :rolleyes:

Make something awesome with her! :D

annulataarethebest
07-28-2011, 09:50 PM
No I already posted it here, so I will say it again. I told him I thought it was worth around $500 and would pay maybe a little more to get the snake. I won't go into the reasons I gave him for the price, but I stand by my opinion that this snake is worth about $500. :cool:
- Jason

I hear ya.

For those curious, I got the snake today, she's huge. And not the friendliest snake I've ever come across lol.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Very cool. Looking forward to photos after she settles in.;)

d_virginiana
07-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Can't wait to see pictures of her! That's a very awesome snake.

Chondro788
07-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Mike,
I'd love to see more pics of her! The pics in the original post were not the best. Also, best of luck with her, you can bet I will be in line for babies WHEN she proves out!!! :cool:
- Jason

RedSidedSPR
07-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Not friendly? Ok I like her now.