PDA

View Full Version : Dekayi Questions

J@50n
07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I have my Dekayi Charles, And i was just wondering a few things.

Do I need to have a heating pad under his tank?

Should I have a basking light?

How should I feed him his worms? I have been just dropping one in every night in the middle of his tank and then turning all his lights off because I heard they like to hunt at night?

I love playing with my dekayi, and was wondering how much I should a day, or how much is to much? I like to keep him a little active but i don't want to stress him out at all.

Last question: What are good heat/humidity levels to have in his tank at night and during the day?

Thanks!!

Oh and alo, wil gravel work for a substrate?

infernalis
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Short answers..

No heat, these snakes prefer cool.

Mildly damp, not wet. Coconut or bark work great.

Minimal handling, it's stressful. A little bit here and there is OK, just not a lot.

Low wattage lighting, they don't really like it real bright.

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 06:01 AM
And no, gravel is not OK

infernalis
07-18-2011, 06:52 AM
And no, gravel is not OK

Thanks, I missed that one. No Gravel.

J@50n
07-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks, I missed that one. No Gravel.

What about feeding?

J@50n
07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Also how many gallons (of tank) does one Dekayi need? And how small of a tank could I have a pair in?

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 09:44 AM
I can't give you detailed info on feeding as I've never kept one. They eat slugs and worms in the wild... Basic diet in captivity.

10 gallons works.

BLUESIRTALIS
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I would keep a pair in a ten gallon tank. I would make sure he don't ingest none of his substrate because that can be bad. Most of the dekays i kept would eat out of my hands dangled in front of them.

infernalis
07-18-2011, 10:58 AM
A 10-15 gallon tank makes a nice home for up to 2.

These snakes will fight over food, so keep a close eye on them when eating.

I use big repti bark chips as substrate, that way I just give them a worm in their cage.

Venti
07-18-2011, 04:52 PM
I agree with the others, a 10 or 15 gallon tank would probably be your best bet for a pair.

I have kept a few brown snakes, and they tend to be really greedy when it comes to food, so if you get another one, I would feed them seperately, because they will steal food right out of the other's mouth.

infernalis
07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree with the others, a 10 or 15 gallon tank would probably be your best bet for a pair.

I have kept a few brown snakes, and they tend to be really greedy when it comes to food, so if you get another one, I would feed them seperately, because they will steal food right out of the other's mouth.

Yes, and they will fight bad over it.

J@50n
07-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Yes, and they will fight bad over it.

I have had him now for a couple weeks and he seems to not be eating!? When I pick up his water dish I find a bunch of little worms.

Any suggestions?

And also, i found a paper bedding called Critter Care (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Critter-Care-Superior-Odor-Control-Natural-Bedding-30-l/10321155), is this any good for my snake? He seems to really like it!

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I have had him now for a couple weeks and he seems to not be eating!? When I pick up his water dish I find a bunch of little worms.

Wait, worms from feeding? Or...

Mommy2many
07-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Probably worms from feeding. I find some of the smaller worms have creeped out of the food dish and into the substrate. My Dekayi likes to go hunt for these worms.

J@50n
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes worms from feeding he never eats them when i put them in they always just crawl away! What kind of worms would you suggest to feed him? I am currently using Trout Worms.

infernalis
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM

Any suggestions?

And also, i found a paper bedding called Critter Care (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Critter-Care-Superior-Odor-Control-Natural-Bedding-30-l/10321155), is this any good for my snake? He seems to really like it!

Critter care is decent stuff.

Try hanging a worm in front of it's face, use tongs or hemostats and try teasing the snake gently without spooking it.

If all else fails can you catch any little slugs? they are found under things, on damp or wet grass, along foundations, in gardens or my all time favourite slug lure, lettuce.

lay a few sheets of lettuce peeled off a fresh head and leave them in your lawn near the foundation overnight, look at 5:30 (ish) am and there should be slugs on the lettuce munching away.

Slugs are like ice cream to a Dekayi.

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Yes worms from feeding he never eats them when i put them in they always just crawl away! What kind of worms would you suggest to feed him? I am currently using Trout Worms.

Dang glad y said that. Trout worms (AKA RED WRIGGLERS) are the worst possible thing to feed garters!! Not sure about dekay, but I would take any chances.

Nightcrawlers (big earthworms) or smaller earthworms.

J@50n
07-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Critter care is decent stuff.

Try hanging a worm in front of it's face, use tongs or hemostats and try teasing the snake gently without spooking it.

I have tried everything with the worms and nothing works so i usually just end up throwing it in after about 5 or 10 minutes. Should i be trying to feed it a fell sized worm? He is an adult Dekayi but he still looks pretty small to be eating a full sized worm, would that be my problem?

Mommy2many
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I've seen my Dekayi eat a pretty large size worm. They do love their slugs!

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I'd cut the worms.

kibakiba
07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Or strawberries. I have a little strawberry garden, I think the slugs ate more strawberries in a day than I have... Haha.

d_virginiana
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Someone may have already mentioned this, but some are poisonous so be careful what kind you use.. I've always wanted to feed my snakes slugs, cause we have a ton around here living in tree knots, but I'm too paranoid about getting one of the bad kind!

kibakiba
07-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Ones that put out yellow slime can choke your snake

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Basically, pick it up. If it doesn't cover you in yellow crap, it's safe. Easy enough. Although, there may be more than that. I
Don't feel the need so don't

Didymus20X6
07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
And don't use trout worms; they're toxic. Use nightcrawlers instead. Cut them if you have to.

RedSidedSPR
07-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Thats what I just said. The "trout worms" are AKA red wrigglers which is the worst thing to feed. VERY toxic

infernalis
07-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Someone may have already mentioned this, but some are poisonous so be careful what kind you use.. I've always wanted to feed my snakes slugs, cause we have a ton around here living in tree knots, but I'm too paranoid about getting one of the bad kind!

The little grey ones and black ones are good, the leathery looking orange ones and the tiger stripe ones are not.

J@50n
07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
How about these for my Dekayi? Snails (http://www.petco.com/product/115388/Zoo-Med-Can-O-Snails.aspx)

guidofatherof5
07-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I've never tried them with dekayis but my radixes didn't like them.
I think the processing takes something out of them that makes them less inviting.

RedSidedSPR
07-20-2011, 08:56 AM
True, but I'd it's safe you could try it

d_virginiana
07-20-2011, 09:51 AM
idk about the snails... If it's safe and your snake likes them then go for it. :)

RedSidedSPR
07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
i do think you should try it. May get him eating

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Tiamat hasn't touched a snail since I got her, and they are still freely roaming around her habitat. However I gave her a big black worm yesterday and a tiny gray one today, and both vanished within a span of 5 minutes. Earth worms are the way to go, and they are so easy. I find them just by weeding my garden.

Haven't found any slugs yet, but when I do I'll see how she likes them.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Glad to hear Tiamat is eating.

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I was a bit concerned. I figure if she's pregnant she probably needs plenty of food. She's been poking her head up every so often, I hope its a sign she's getting used to the 180 pound hairless ape sitting at the desk next to her.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Holy crap, yeah, that would freak me out too! :D

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
A bit of extraspecies sympathy, I am hundreds of times her size. The thought occurred to me the other day as I was playing with my two year old tabby... Cats eat brown snakes, and humans in some cases eat cats, as well as snakes, so really I'm an apex predator trying to get theoretical food items to feel comfortable around me. Under the circumstances I'm willing to be patient.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Lol, never really thought if it that way :D

Didymus20X6
07-28-2011, 09:53 AM
The snake doesn't know whether humans eat snakes or not. All he knows is that you're a giant pink monkey, but certainly BIG ENOUGH to eat him.

J@50n
07-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Ew, roasted snake :P

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 10:43 AM
The snake doesn't know whether humans eat snakes or not. All he knows is that you're a giant pink monkey, but certainly BIG ENOUGH to eat him.

True enough, and I have an amusing correction. On closer inspection the snail that was "untouched" seemed to have been missing his head. I guess Tiamat does like snails after all... I should probably hold off for now, two snails and two worms in two days. I think that's enough, I don't want her getting obese.

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Ew, roasted snake :P

My uncle claims it tastes like chicken, but that has to be bull, that's what people say about everything that isn't commonly available in fastfood chains.

Though the only species of snake I've ever heard of people eating are rattle snakes and given where I live its unlikely I'll ever get the opportunity to try them. As for whether or not I would... well I like rabbit and I wouldn't be opposed to having one as a pet, it depends on the presentation.

kibakiba
07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
I know someone who eats female radix... He claims it does taste kind of like chicken, but something is different, and the meat is really dry. He said he eats snakes because he likes surviving and being alive, not starving. Then he goes on saying he lives in an area with a lot of delicious cheap food. I feel bad for all the snakes he's eaten.
I don't see the point of eating a small snake, that wouldn't even fill your belly up a quarter of the way, for all the work you'd have to put into it, especially when there is food readily available. I could understand it if you were lost somewhere, haven't eaten in a couple days and needed food... But seriously?

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah really. But It does tasteike chicken Never tried it, (never will) but everybody says that.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
That guy better stay away from my area:mad:

kibakiba
07-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Indeed. I was really angry about it, I just cant understand why someone would do that. Of course, he said it when I was talking to my friends about my love of garter snakes.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, than, obviously, he's just a jerk. Like the USPS customer service :D

kibakiba
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
A snake hungry jerk.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Indeed. I was really angry about it, I just cant understand why someone would do that. Of course, he said it when I was talking to my friends about my love of garter snakes.

He sounds like a troll.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah. I was thinking that. May not have even meant it.

kibakiba
07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
My friends live near him and he's eaten snakes around them, unless it's a complete group trolling, then I doubt it. They aren't friends with him anymore.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, than I guess he eats him... The loser :D

infernalis
07-28-2011, 04:18 PM
True enough, and I have an amusing correction. On closer inspection the snail that was "untouched" seemed to have been missing his head. I guess Tiamat does like snails after all... I should probably hold off for now, two snails and two worms in two days. I think that's enough, I don't want her getting obese.

Just so you know, they have fast metabolism, they eat constantly. I offer mine food every evening.

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh really? Well then, I'll keep her going on snails and earthworms. The one I gave her this morning was tiny, I'll get another for her. She seemed more lively today, I suppose the easiest way to get an animal to like you is to feed it.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I suppose the easiest way to get an animal to like you is to feed it.

Works for people too:D

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Brings my cousin to mind :D he could be in the worst mood, hating my guts, but you offer him a cookie, and he owes you the world :D

kibakiba
07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
it works on me sometimes, since at the end of the month, we have no food... Food can put me in a better mood... Unless my mom is trying to fight me for it. :rolleyes:

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Crap nvm pic didn't work.

Anyhoo...

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Works for people too:D

Well I tested the theory by tossing three earth worms into the tank at once... I didn't know it was possible for a creature to eat what looked like half its body weight in food in a matter of minutes. She was very subtle about it, I never saw her, Just the worms quickly sinking into the substrait, one after the other, in about 3-5 minute intervals.

She's either extremely hungry, greedy or both. In any event I'm not going to test her again anytime soon. I might end up destroying the ecology of my garden.

Normally I wouldn't go that far, but I assume two things. One that's she's stressed, (which consumes a lot of energy) and two that she's pregnant, (which consumes a lot more energy) so given the circumstances I thought it would be better to err on the side of more food rather than less. I hope that wasn't a mistake, but she seemed rather pleased and I find it very hard to say no to my pets, unless of course its my food they want.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
When you say "substrate" what is it? When a worms burrows, it gets it stuck all over the worm. Which means the snake will eat some of the substrate and that's bad....

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
aspen wood... and don't worry. They never moved, it was quite odd. They were wriggling all over the place right up until I dropped them into the tank. Then they froze and the snake ate them one by one. It was less like she was swallowing them and more like she was drinking them. All that's left are some stains. I've been hesitant to handle Tiamat since she's gravid but it might be worth checking on her.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Probably won't hurt, but...

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Now that I think of it, the worm's freezing up may have been an instinctive reflex. They could never hope to outrun a snake but they might have a small chance of avoiding detection. Of course that would only apply in the soil and earthworms likely lack the ability to distinguish black ground from tan aspen. That and snakes do hunt primarily by sensing vibrations, which may also explain why she was tasting the air around them with her tongue before she actually started taking them.

I have to say, studying these fascinating creatures is more than half the fun of owning them.

RedSidedSPR
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Indeed it is.

I've never seen a worm freeze like that.

GaiusIuliusTabernarius
07-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Indeed it is.

I've never seen a worm freeze like that.

As it turns out one of them didn't. And its still alive. I just saw it crawling up a rock in the tank. I also saw tiamat tasting the air in the cage above the substrait. Having observed the one surviving earth worm its clear the substrait is not sticking to it. It also seems quite lively so I shouldn't have to worry about feeding Tiamat, her breakfast is right there waiting for her to become hungry again. How long it will remain is unclear...

snakehill
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, than, obviously, he's just a jerk. Like the USPS customer service :D They say Fedex is the way to go!! the Post Office sucks!;)

guidofatherof5
07-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I use Fedex and have yet to have any major issues. All snakes have arrived alive and well.
One group was a couple hours late and Fedex refunded me the entire amount.
So far, so good with them.;)

RedSidedSPR
07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
I just had some crappy experience from USPS, so I'm with ya.

kibakiba
07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I prefer fedex too. There are a few drivers that enjoy throwing my business shipments on my deck, though. It's annoying, and makes me want to smack them across the face with a dirty fly swatter.