PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your pinkies?

RedSidedSPR
07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
I want to start feeding pinkies soon, and i need a good online source. Thanks!

kibakiba
07-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Mousedirect is good. That's where I got mine. Shipping is high, but no matter how many you buy, it's the same.

BLUESIRTALIS
07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
August the 6 and 7 there is a reptile show in charlotte you can buy pinks there. Look on kingsnake.com under classifieds i think it is feeders or food but it has a list of people like rodentpro or micedirect.

guidofatherof5
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I've used Micedirect for the last few years and am very pleased with their product and customer service.
https://micedirect.com/

Mommy2many
07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Mice direct.

RedSidedSPR
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
August the 6 and 7 there is a reptile show in charlotte you can buy pinks there. Look on kingsnake.com under classifieds i think it is feeders or food but it has a list of people like rodentpro or micedirect.

yeah, i'm going (hopefully) thanks, man. I'll check KS.

So micedirect seem like the way to go. I'll prolly wait until the show you mentioned, because i won't have pay 50 freakin' bucks for shipping...

I'll probably go with micedirect, but do any of you know of a cheaper one? Just to know of one? I found one a while ago, where if you bought 100+ it was free shipping....

BLUESIRTALIS
07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I know at my last show i got 100 pinkys for $25.00 that's not to bad when you don't have to pay shipping

RedSidedSPR
07-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, i want to go. For that reason. (and the snakes... I just want to go) but it's 3 hours from my house, so it may not happen.

I don't know of any more shows anytime soon.

Cfleming
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
There will be a show in Raleigh at the end of September. They are horrible about promoting the show that is why you probably dont know about it. They usually have 3 or 4 vendors selling feeders. Other than that check Craigslist, I recall seeing a couple ads for feeders in the Raleigh pets section.

Chondro788
07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
American Rodent Supply, they are the best!!!!
Www.americanrodent.com (http://www.americanrodent.com)

RedSidedSPR
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. What makes them better in your opinion? I noticed free shipping with $100+, but i won't be spending that much.

so how does the shipping work? Is it based on weight? If i buy, like, 100 pinkies from one of these sites, what would you say the shipping would cost?

There will be a show in Raleigh at the end of September. They are horrible about promoting the show that is why you probably dont know about it. They usually have 3 or 4 vendors selling feeders. Other than that check Craigslist, I recall seeing a couple ads for feeders in the Raleigh pets section.

Thanks, man. I may have to go to that one instead. i REALLY need to go to one soon though. I never get to go.

mb90078
07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I still can't find any source that is affordable for the low quantities that I need. And yes, I've been checking Craigslist (set up notifications in fact) for more than a year.

katach
07-08-2011, 08:19 PM
We just ordered 20 from our local pet store. She does special bulk orders. They sell the prepackaged ones for 3 for $5.99 but we are paying $.99 each after the special order and having them shipped to the store.

infernalis
07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.thamnophis.us/1/mice.jpg

d_virginiana
07-09-2011, 12:05 AM
I think I'm going to the Charlotte show. Never been to one, so it'll be something new.

I bought my first batch of pinkies from PetSmart online before I found out about any of those other places :p Probably the worst possible place to get them, and it definitely won't be happening again!

Chondro788
07-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. What makes them better in your opinion?

I work there!! :D Been working with Brian for almost 8 years now.

snakeman
07-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I go with rodent pro.you never know what these hacks at the reptile shows are feeding their rodents.

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I work there!! :D Been working with Brian for almost 8 years now.

Ah... gotcha. I'm looking into it. It's the shipping that gets me when ordering online

http://www.thamnophis.us/1/mice.jpg

That's a looooot o' mice.:D

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
How much would the shipping be? I mean, i know it's pretty expensive, but i don't know how much. I'm planning on buying 100 or so... any estimates on the cost of that shipping?

Chondro788
07-09-2011, 10:57 AM
At American Rodent, we have a $50 min order but could do 250 pinkies at $.19 = $47.50, shipping would be about $12.50, and we have a box and dry ice charge of $15, so $75 shipped for 250 pinkies, or $.30 each delivered.
- Jason

Venti
07-09-2011, 11:01 AM
When ever I go to get feeders like guppies or pinkies, I buy them from a local pet shop near me.

However, I have considered using Rodent Pro in the past, and thats what I would use if the pet shop was close to me.

Also, sometimes at reptile shows rodent dealers are there, so maybe you could find one there.

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 11:24 AM
At American Rodent, we have a $50 min order but could do 250 pinkies at $.19 = $47.50, shipping would be about $12.50, and we have a box and dry ice charge of $15, so $75 shipped for 250 pinkies, or $.30 each delivered.
- Jason

Now see, right now that's just too much money. I'd love to do it, but i can't spend that money.

I'll still consider, but does anyone know of a cheaper source?

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 11:25 AM
When ever I go to get feeders like guppies or pinkies, I buy them from a local pet shop near me.

However, I have considered using Rodent Pro in the past, and thats what I would use if the pet shop was close to me.

Also, sometimes at reptile shows rodent dealers are there, so maybe you could find one there.

How much do they charge there?
Mine is $10 for 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Chondro788
07-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Now see, right now that's just too much money. I'd love to do it, but i can't spend that money.

I understand... in that case your best bet may be a show. It is very hard to buy small quantity at discounted rates. Just make sure the pinkies look fresh, light pink in color, no freezer burn, and make sure the bag is clean of beeding, feces, ect. You want the top quality feeders for your animals, so remember if a price is too good to be true, it probably is. Also, be careful as some sources have had trouble with certain bateria in their pinkies.

- Jason

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Dang, making me kinda paranoid about shows :D

I don't have a problem buying 100 or so pinkies at once, it's just the shipping. MiceDirect charges $16.00 for 100, which is great, but then they charge $50 shipping. Not that bad, and i still may do that... from one of the 3 most metioned here.

I'm still considering AmericanRodent, MiceDirect, and RodentPro.

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I think i might go with MiceDirect. They are cheaper. Maybe RodentPro or America Rodent, but Micedirect is cheaper than americaRodent, and i can't see how RodentPro is without sighning up. Don't want to do that unless i'm buying from them.

Mommy2many
07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
How many "mice eaters" do you have? I bought 700 mice this spring, and have quite a few to go thru. I was worth the $50-$60 in shipping since the best deal I could get around here was 6 pinkies for $5.00.

Now, I don't panic when my crew stick their little snakie noses up at the mice because they want nightcrawlers! or salmon. or silversides. whatever:rolleyes:

Maybe you can get a petstore to ship them to their location at a fraction of the cost. Maybe you could split shipping costs with them. Just ideas.

Good luck!

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't actually have any "mouse eaters", because I've never fed pinkies. I want to now. The best deal I can get local, is $10 for 6!!! Not gonna freakin' happen.

And yeah, I'm not planning on feeding pinkies and nothing else. Worms, some fish, and some pinkies.

Not sure what you mean with the pet store idea...

Mommy2many
07-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Just thinking that if you ask, you may be able to get 100 pinkies shipped to your local pet store with their order.

Mommy2many
07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Just thinking that if you ask, you may be able to get 100 pinkies shipped to your local pet store with their order. It may depend on how good a "customer" you are with them.

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm a pretty darn good customer :D

Starling96
07-09-2011, 08:37 PM
As a last resort you could breed them
Or if you have a younger sibling you could buy a male and female and give them to him or her as "pets" and take the babies lol

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I'd never get away with it :D

Breeding wouldn't produce enough fast enough. That's not really an option for me.

I'm gonna go to one of the next few NC expos, prolly buy some there, but I think I'll order from one those sites... Not sure which one...

Starling96
07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
lol yea
i got a bunch of mice when i went to my show
but the ones in my area are like super small

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Well thats what i want since I'm feeding babies. I want big and small, babie snake and adult

Starling96
07-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeawell good luck on getting them! :D

RedSidedSPR
07-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks.

annulataarethebest
07-10-2011, 01:16 AM
I've used Rodent Pro for the last 7 years, I'm sure how they are compared to others with price, but in the past 7 years the order always arrives the exact same way, I like the consistency. Rodent Pro has yet to let me down, in one of my orders like 10 of the pinky mice were broken in half, I let them know that and got credit for the whole bag.

Recently I started trying to breed my own mice as I seem to spend a good bit on mice (more than I want to but the snakes gotta eat? lol), no luck yet.

RedSidedSPR
07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I may do rodent pro. I don't know as much about it because you have to sign in. Not doing that unless I buy from them.

Thanks, good luck with breeding.

infernalis
07-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I've used Rodent Pro for the last 7 years, I'm sure how they are compared to others with price, but in the past 7 years the order always arrives the exact same way, I like the consistency. Rodent Pro has yet to let me down, in one of my orders like 10 of the pinky mice were broken in half, I let them know that and got credit for the whole bag.

Recently I started trying to breed my own mice as I seem to spend a good bit on mice (more than I want to but the snakes gotta eat? lol), no luck yet.

I gave up breeding mice Mike, it wound up being tons cheaper from rodent pro, and a lot less responsibility too. Try leaving for a 3 day trip with a bunch of mice to care for.

Sonya610
07-10-2011, 05:31 PM
So micedirect seem like the way to go. I'll prolly wait until the show you mentioned, because i won't have pay 50 freakin' bucks for shipping...

Yeah shipping is the most expensive part, like 2-3 times the cost of the product. I ordered from them, 1/6 the cost of buying pinkies locally and that includes the shipping cost!

They are nice friendly folks and the shipping charges (2 day delivery with 5 days worth of dry ice) are far superior to many other online feeder companies. A good deal.

RedSidedSPR
07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
That's probably what I'll do... thanks.

brain
07-14-2011, 11:11 AM

FYI
RATE CHART (http://www.bigcheeserodents.com/Pricing.html)

But anytime you ship it gets pricey

RedSidedSPR
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I know I'm gonna buy em from Micedirect. Thanks

infernalis
07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah shipping is the most expensive part, like 2-3 times the cost of the product. I ordered from them, 1/6 the cost of buying pinkies locally and that includes the shipping cost!

They are nice friendly folks and the shipping charges (2 day delivery with 5 days worth of dry ice) are far superior to many other online feeder companies. A good deal.

That's why if you just bite the bullet and order a hundred dollars worth of mice, the shipping becomes a much easier to handle expense. Divide the shipping by several hundred, and it works out much cheaper per mouse.

I found a buyer locally with some corn snakes, I sell him pinkies at .50 each, and he buys quite a few, that helps out a lot too.

RedSidedSPR
07-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I cant spend $150!!!!!!!!!!

drache
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I now get mine locally, and they're real nice, reasonably priced, and I can pick them up by subway
before that I was loyal to themousefactory.com, because I have never once been disappointed with the quality of their rodents, and that was worth it to me to pay slightly more than what most internet rodent suppliers charge, after I ended up with some quite less than satisfactory shipments during the time when I was still trying places out

ConcinusMan
07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I cant spend $150!!!!!!!!!!

Then it's basically not even worth bothering. I can't spend that much at once either. They make is sound like really good prices and you'll be saving money but you start adding it up and well, you find out that your savings evaporate unless you're placing large orders. That's fine for someone who spends that much each month anyway, but it's just not for the small scale keepers.

RedSidedSPR
07-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Don't you feed pinkies?

infernalis
07-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I budget about 100-150 monthly for snake upkeep.

RedSidedSPR
07-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Again, you guys have a lot more snakes than me. I have 3. Also, I'm not planning on feeding nothing but those. Still use worms and fish.

kibakiba
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Then perhaps you need to just stick with petsmart mice and pay 5 for 3 or something, it's cheaper that way if you only have a few snakes. I only have 11, but buying a big bulk of mice is the best thing I've ever done.

RedSidedSPR
07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
But it would add up to an unreasonable price. Petsmart is $10 for 6. Not happening.

kibakiba
07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Well, I personally paid that price. I bought 50 every month at the 3 for 5 price, just because my snakes liked to eat pinkies.

RedSidedSPR
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
But see, I could spend $50 at once, and get 100...

brain
07-15-2011, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=drache;168009] before that I was loyal to themousefactory.com QUOTE]

I tried this outlet but they told me there was problem shipping to WA (state). Go figure

drache
07-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I ended up getting a small chest freezer someone had previously used to store breast milk in for $40 - looking like new
my rodent supplier had told me that when kept properly, they can be good as fresh frozen for half a year or more at the bottom of one of those
I transfer them to the regular freezer when I open a pack
if you can get them at an expo, you save yourself shipping and have an enjoyable day too - you just need to make sure you have enough insulated packaging with you (a cooler?) that you can get them home without them thawing any
I started ordering pinks when I had four snakes - so not that many more
not only are store prices ridiculous, very often their rodents are pathetic to boot

RedSidedSPR
07-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah... I think I'm going to the August expo.... I may do that instead of online, but...