PDA

View Full Version : Howdie, I'm new

crayguns
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I've studied snakes off and on since about 1962. I read every Raymond L Ditmars wrote. Studying snakes help me learn much about prejudice and other social dynamics. In Viet-nam I was at about the only place in 'Nam that didn't have snakes(Cam Rahn Bay). I was in pest control in the USAF. Someone did bring a baby Elaphe radiata(cousin to the US black rat snake-Elaphe obseleta). I identified it with an ID key the Smithsonian had sent to me. That was the only snake I saw there except for some pickled ones in Saigon.
In 1971 I bought Desmond, the boa constrictor I had for about 27 years. This forum has sort of reawakened my interest. Hope the posting isn't too verbose.
crayguns

Stefan-A
05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

adamanteus
05-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi Crayguns, and welcome to the forum. I haven't seen Elaphe radiata for years, beautiful snakes but rather aggressive if I remember rightly!

Twenty seven years is a long time to keep a snake, congratulations! So, now you found us do you think you will become a snake keeper once again?

Don't worry about verbosity! We all like to read a good long tale!

Stefan-A
05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I think somebody here in Finland bred them last year. Can't be arsed to look it up, though. ;)

Edit: Sorry, that was C. helena.

adamanteus
05-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Ouch! I just read that Elaphe radiata in now known as Coelognathus radiatus.:o I need to get up to speed on some of the recent taxonomic changes. I'm showing my age!:eek:

Stefan-A
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Isn't it C. radiatus?

You're probably right about your age, although it also shows that you don't need to bother with details. :) Beginners like me still find it necessary to keep up with the latest taxonomic changes and other fairly useless pieces of trivia. ;) We lack the experience, so we rely exclusively on what we read. It's the same with pretty much every hobby, you can always tell who has knowledge and who has wisdom. Or something along those lines. ;)

Thamnophis
05-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Welcome here between the Thamnophis-freaks... :D

GarterGuy
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Howdy and welcome to the forum crayguns. :D
Roy

Odie
05-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Crayguns :p

Cazador
05-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi Cecil,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up not far from you, in Troy, Missouri, but now I live in Alaska. It's always good to welcome people to the forum from my old stomping grounds. I hope you enjoy the forum and will share plenty of your herping experiences with us. Kind regards,

Rick

drache
05-08-2007, 06:13 AM
hi Cecil Crayguns
welcome from Brooklyn, NY
nice to meet you

adamanteus
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Isn't it C. radiatus?

You're probably right about your age, although it also shows that you don't need to bother with details. :) Beginners like me still find it necessary to keep up with the latest taxonomic changes and other fairly useless pieces of trivia. ;) We lack the experience, so we rely exclusively on what we read. It's the same with pretty much every hobby, you can always tell who has knowledge and who has wisdom. Or something along those lines.

I'm going to take that as a compliment, Stefan.:D I guess what I lack in knowledge, I make up for in years!:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
You were supposed to take it as a compliment. :D However, I might have been wrong. I think it's more likely that beginners just try to impress or compete with the veterans by aquiring knowledge in any way they can, but first hand knowledge is not something that can be acquired in any other way than through experience. Which age tends to bring.

Or something. :D

adamanteus
05-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Nice, thankyou ....but you keep reminding me that I'm getting older! Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm already impressed.

Stefan-A
05-08-2007, 04:41 PM
We're all getting older here. Of all the people on this forum, I'm probably the oldest beginner. :D

adamanteus
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't think anyone noticed that you're a "beginner", Stefan!

adamanteus
05-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm looking forward to Cecil (crayguns) coming back. It seems he is a real veteran, to keep one snake for 27 years , although possible is very unusual. I think he will have much to contribute. Plus I'm guessing he's older than I am!

Stefan-A
05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much. I always thought it was obvious. :D
I have a tendency to try and learn everything humanly possible about a subject in a very short time, once I get interested.

Sid
05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Cecil, welcome to the forum from South Carolina.

Sid

drache
05-09-2007, 05:28 AM

I certainly didn't
unless it's in the sense of "beginner's mind", meaning an openness to learning

Snaky
05-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Also a welcome from Belgium, enjoy it here :)

garterman07
05-10-2007, 04:46 PM
welcome!!! to the forum!!! trust me these nice people here are very knowlegable and can help you with almost any thing garter and or snake related!!! its a great place to soak up information!!! and welcome!!!