PDA

View Full Version : Feeder Fish

katach
06-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Just curious... We have been feeding earthworms but our newer snakes don't take them. They like fish. Are there any breeds of fish that are harmful to our little ones or that I should stay away from?

kibakiba
06-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Goldfish, minnows, my mind went blank (curse you 2 hour sleep sessions!) You can give them cut up fillet of salmon, trout and tilapia, or guppies, swordtails and silversides. There are a few others but my mind is so cloudy I cant figure out what they are... Haha. Sorry about that.

ConcinusMan
06-28-2011, 03:01 AM
What she said^^^. Your best bet would be store bought tilapia, or if they have trout (steelhead, rainbow) that's OK too. Normally I would say it needs to be frozen first but since your snakes are WC, it doesn't matter much. They probably need to be dewormed anyway.

As for the fish, actually the best you can give them are whole f/t silversides, but they're not cheap. Petco sells them. It's probably the puget garters you're talking about? If they are northwesterns and won't take worms, try slugs.

They might take pinky mice, or you could scent the pinkies with fish and trick them into eating them. That would be even better for them than fish.