PDA

View Full Version : Fancy guppies ok?

Cfleming
06-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Ok so I am having a little trouble finding regular feeder guppies. I had my lps order me some, but the quality was horrible. Most came in dead, and the rest died a couple days later. So I will not be ordering more. The petsmart close by has several varieties of the fancy guppies. They are brightly colored and and their fins do the whole "fan" thing. Are these ok for my baby garters to eat?

Didymus20X6
06-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Here, I would have to introduce some simple pragmatics: cost. I imagine that fancy guppies, whether they would be safe or not, will be far too expensive to serve as a staple food for garter snakes. You'd be better off serving your snakes nightcrawlers and rodents, or, if you can get them to eat them, tilapia pieces (I still haven't gotten Scarlett to eat them, but Little Dude gobbles them up).

As for whether they'd be safe, I'm thinking that will depend on the exact species of the fish in question. Keep in mind, pet stores are not always exactly precise (or in some cases even honest) about what to call the animals they are selling. What they call "fancy guppies" may or may not even be true guppies. Check the species name, and then do research based on that.

Hornets23
06-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I would try other options...

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Regardless of price, the main question here is whether or not they would be a good feeder. The answer is yes, guppies are guppies and if you are willing to pay for fancy guppies, by all means, you can use them. The coloration is all natural, so no worries there. But only one small problem... Check to see if your LFS uses any types of chemicals on their fish. They are no good to use if they have been exposed to anything other than a stress coat or start right or similar product. Your safest bet is to buy some guppies and raise them yourself. This is time consuming, and more work than it's worth in my opinion and if anything I wOuld probably switch your snake onto something more cost effective. You may also use platies, mollies and swordtails. But only if you can find clean sources. Some stores are able to order feeder platies, check to see if it's possible!

Cfleming
06-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks asnakelovingbabe. That is the answer I was looking for. I was really considering breeding guppies and other species of feeder fish. But upon doing some research on it, I a agree, it seems to be a lot more trouble and work than it is worth. My babies are eating worms also, so I think I am just gonna stick with them until I can get them switched over to pinkies.

snakehill
06-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Trust me, be happy with that!!!!!!!!!!!:D

brain
07-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Check this article for a sub fish at a better priceing.
Page 1 of NAS thiaminase table: http://books.nap.edu/books/030903325X/html/64.html#page_top (http://books.nap.edu/books/030903325X/html/64.html#page_top)
Page 2 of NAS thiaminase table: http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1114&page=65 (http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1114&page=65)

If I can't get feeder guppies I use Zebra Dainos' $.87 ea, Mollies' $.97ea or Platties'
$ .79 ea at my local pet store.

Fancy Guppies' $2.99 ea hurts

guidofatherof5
07-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I used that article to make this:
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/6654-safe-fish-list.html

brain
07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
TY much better to read ;)

guidofatherof5
07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
TY much better to read ;)

My eyes were having trouble with it so I made it mostly out of necessity:D

Odie
07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks asnakelovingbabe. That is the answer I was looking for. I was really considering breeding guppies and other species of feeder fish. But upon doing some research on it, I a agree, it seems to be a lot more trouble and work than it is worth. My babies are eating worms also, so I think I am just gonna stick with them until I can get them switched over to pinkies.

I have been breeding the fancy guppies ,for my snakes, for about a year and half :)
Started out with 10 gal tank, water pump, heater, 3 girls, 2 boys and a $11 can of dry food, on 3 can now :D
Now I have about 80 guppies(take 5 to 10 a week for them starting about the 3rd month) and fish poop water (ever other month) for my Blueberrys :eek:

RedSidedSPR
07-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Ive considered breeding guppies.... I don't have a need now though..

brain
07-18-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a 26gl dome face full of Mollies, Pladdies, and a few Dainos. Works for me I get a bigger fish for feeder.
My wife gets attached but what the heck I dip when she’s not looking :D

Mrs N1ntndo
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
i have lake by my house that has bass..large mouth i think. Now how would I prepair thm. Do I skin them, i know I would cut them up but what else would I do?

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Make a fillet out of 'em, freeze them for quite some time (to get rid of parasites) and feed it..... I think. I've never tried it myself.

Mrs N1ntndo
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Make a fillet out of 'em, freeze them for quite some time (to get rid of parasites) and feed it..... I think. I've never tried it myself.

Thank you. I try it when I catch one.

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Don't go by that though. I really don't know. Ask someone who does.

Mrs N1ntndo
07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
do u have any suggestions on who to ask?

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Um... No. I dont know of anyone who prepares it themselves. Most buy it... But than you have to make sure it's safe source.

jitami
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM

If you've determined that the species of fish that you're catching is safe, then this is exactly what I would do. The only minor modification is that I'd slice them into strips before freezing to make thawing & feeding easier :) Btw, I've heard 3 weeks in the freezer is sufficient to kill most parasites - nothing really kills ALL parasites, but it would be a very tiny risk after 3 weeks and certainly less risk than buying feeder fish from the pet store.

kibakiba
07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
3 weeks at 0 degrees would kill off a lot of possible parasites. If you freeze it at a temperature that is too high, it might not kill anything.

Mrs N1ntndo
07-19-2011, 07:55 PM
so if I buy it at the store should I still freeze it for 3 weeks?

RedSidedSPR
07-19-2011, 08:01 PM
It's already been frozen so I don't think
So.

jitami
07-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I, honestly, wouldn't worry about it. Frozen is usually cheaper anyway, so just go that route, but I'd give my guys fresh human grade fish fillet and not give it another thought. Some may not want to take that chance, but I'm fairly relaxed when it comes to stuff like that and haven't killed anyone (snake, human or otherwise) yet ;)

kibakiba
07-19-2011, 08:05 PM
It's best to freeze it for at least a couple days after buying it. I do that just as a precaution, I guess.

Mrs N1ntndo
07-20-2011, 12:43 AM
thank you all. Maybe Ill pick some up in the next cpl days like samon or bass. How big should the pieces be cause right now all ive been giving Pheobe is crawlers. The right ones . And thats it. Do I make them warm when I defrost them or..... What?

kibakiba
07-20-2011, 12:47 AM
No bigger than her head, and if you cut them into small strips, they should thaw fairly easily, that's all you have to do. Warm temperature isn't really needed.