PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

snakehill
06-25-2011, 07:37 AM
I finally purchased a humidity gauge for my snakes tank. I need some opinions on the proper humidity level for baby red sided. Thanks:confused:

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 07:59 AM
I keep humidity between 50-60% in my snake room.
Seems to workout well for my guests.

snakehill
06-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks Scott..... I mean Steve, LOL;)

RedSidedSPR
06-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Mine is around 66, but only because i can't keep it lower. That's just the room. Anything below 70 is OK, but 50-60 is ideal

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Scott..... I mean Steve, LOL;)

Just don't call me late for dinner:D

snakehill
06-25-2011, 09:21 AM
The gauge has been in his tank for a while and it appears that the humidity level is 52-53. This is good yes?:)

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Nothing wrong with that. A larger(surface area) water dish might increase it some.

snakehill
06-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Do you have to be careful about misting too? Some say don't do it others say you can. I'm talking about once a day maybe?:confused:

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't because my substrate would suck it up and be ruined.
This really becomes a personal preference issue whether you do it or not.
The humidity in my big snake room stays pretty constant so I don't see a need to do it also.

snakehill
06-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Okay I just misted the tank and the humidity level went way up to 87 so maybe not a good idea eh?:confused:

RedSidedSPR
06-25-2011, 10:31 AM
NOPE LOL. I mist when it's low, but only a little, and only if i need it,

kibakiba
06-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I only mist when one of my snakes are about to shed. It prevents retained sheds, which can kill babies. I mist 2-3 times a day when a snake is about to shed in my 20 gallons, because there is usually a lower humidity there, and only once every couple of days in my 1 gallon, because humidity stays inside the tank for longer. It's your choice whether to mist or not.

ConcinusMan
06-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Okay I just misted the tank and the humidity level went way up to 87 so maybe not a good idea eh?:confused:

That's OK on occasion, or especially at shedding time but it should dry out quickly. Substrate should be dry 99% of the time.

Humidity isn't really an issue with garter snakes unless it's constantly very low (40 or below) or constantly too high (above 75 or so). Constant dampness or very high humidity will surely cause problems. Other than that, they are comfortable at humidity levels that would be comfortable for you and I. And just like you and I, they don't like their "feet" constantly wet or damp.

In any case, it's important to keep the substrate dry. (occasional moisture that evaporates quickly is OK) A moist corner or some moistened moss in a corner is fine, especially for babies but too much moisture will cause problems. It can cause blister disease and/or bacteria to flourish, causing skin and respiratory infections.

Garter snakes seem to enjoy a misting every now and then but don't do it if the humidity is high or if the substrate doesn't dry out quickly. If it doesn't dry out quickly, then you need to take another look at your temperatures and ventilation to make sure they're adequate.

d_virginiana
06-25-2011, 07:45 PM

That was just right off right? Like, it didn't stay that way? If it did, I would be incredibly jealous. I mist my frog at least four times a day, keep his substrate moist, and that cage STILL stays less humid than it needs to be. :p

I've never misted Houdini, and I've never run into any problems with it. Of course the ambient humidity is probably in about the right range where I live...

snakehill
06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Maybe I'll get some frogs:rolleyes:!

d_virginiana
06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe I'll get some frogs:rolleyes:!

Do it! They're great garbage disposals for leftover snake food (mine is a pac, so he has no problem taking care of uneaten worms and pinkies) :D

snakehill
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I love Whites! You can't keep other frogs with them though! GULP!:rolleyes: I love Red-eyes too but I don't do very well with those! LOL

RedSidedSPR
06-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm thinking of getting dumpys or a pacman.

snakehill
06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Dumpys aka Whites Tree Frogs are better if you like to handle your frogs.(always wash your hands before and after handling them!) I hope I don't get any comments from a FROG EXPERT. (you know who!:rolleyes:)