PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on injured snake??

d_virginiana
06-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I was out hiking today and came across a water snake suffering from either mouth rot a very serious facial injury. There was no way this snake could eat, and I think that it might have been an injury instead of mouth rot because she also had a pretty bad tail injury. I run across this particular snake at least once a week, and this has all happened since the last time I saw her.

I kind of want to catch her and try to treat the mouth thing at least.. I've heard mouth rot is contagious though, and I wouldn't want to risk bringing in anything that could potentially hurt Houdini. Also, I can't spend a lot of money on medicine. Just out of curiosity.. Does this sound like something that might work itself out with a little tlc and readily available food, or is it a lost cause?

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Without seeing some photos it's really hard to say whether TLC would be enough or if this is actually mouth rot. Like you said it could be some kind of injury.
It's very nice that you want to help.
Mouth Rot - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Mouth_Rot)

ConcinusMan
06-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Does this sound like something that might work itself out with a little tlc and readily available food, or is it a lost cause?

Yes.:cool:

infernalis
06-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Depending on the extent of the damage (A photo would be helpful) it may be more humane to just terminate the snake.

If the mouth/face is heavily damaged it would be cruel to allow the animal to suffer through starvation/infections.

. Does this sound like something that might work itself out with a little tlc and readily available food, or is it a lost cause?

Yes.:cool:

????????? Richard:( no wonder you have such a high post count... If you don't have something useful to say, then silence is truly a virtue.

ConcinusMan
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
It's my honest answer. It doesn't have to be useful and you don't have to like it. I thought we've been through this already.

d_virginiana
06-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I know it's hard to get an idea of what the problem is with no picture.
I wish I'd had a camera with me, but getting to the area where I generally find them involves walking half a mile up a creek, so it's a risk for me to bring my camera down.

I'm thinking it's probably an injury, but is definitely infected. This one has very pretty red coloring and is always very calm around me, so I'd hate to see her die. Next time I'm down there if she's still around I'll try and catch her to get some pics and see if there's anything I can do.

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 08:01 PM
I think it's great you want to help. Snakes need friends like you.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
it was a useful answer, just a short and to-the-point one! :)

Depending on the extent of the damage (A photo would be helpful) it may be more humane to just terminate the snake.

If the mouth/face is heavily damaged it would be cruel to allow the animal to suffer through starvation/infections.

????????? Richard:( no wonder you have such a high post count... If you don't have something useful to say, then silence is truly a virtue.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I would have brought that snake home in a heartbeat.... I always try to help the unfortunate ones. Last year I discovered at my favorite lake, a water snake that was thrashing around in some rocks. Then he stopped and layed there lifelessly and I could not figure out what was going on. He payed no mind to me. Upon closer inspection.. this snake had clearly attempted to eat someone's bait minnow, got hooked, and whoever reeled him in, cut the line and the line became tangled in those rocks, meaning the poor snake was STUCK there, hooked in the throat, forced to drape awkwardly over this rock with nowhere to go and no way to free himself. I scooped him up and severed the line... then using a pair of needlenose pliers I unhooked the fish hook. He was tired, his skin was all scuffed up from thrashing, and he was dehydrated from laying in the hot sun... But he was still strong and alert... and I have never seen a wild water snake that seemed more OKAY with being handled... poor fella looked relieved! I scooped up some tadpoles out of the lake and offered them after letting him drink. He accepted them and ate them right there in my hands... so I knew he would be okay. I sent him on his way :)

Water snakes are tough as nails. A few years ago, I caught a water snake that had at one point been injured severely in the face. This snake reared up at me and when he opened his mouth, I noticed that the entire bottom jaw was split vertically, right down the middle! He looked like something from the movie predator with his mouth open and sprawling in three directions! it was healed over completely though... so there is a good chance your water snake can recover, even on her own! If you don't find her again.

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 08:45 PM
That was a great rescue.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
It was... I still feel good about that one!

infernalis
06-25-2011, 09:57 PM
it was a useful answer, just a short and to-the-point one! :)

Here's where I must be confused.

The question had a "multiple choice" answer.

Q. Should I turn left or right??

A. Yes.

How exactly does that constitute any answer at all?;):):D

d_virginiana
06-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool that it would just eat out of your hand like that. Awesome rescue! I'd like to see that 'predator' snake, sounds interesting.

I would take her in ASAP if it was just up to me, but my parents are less than fond of my habit of bringing scaly/slimy things into the house, so I've got to be strategical if I do anything. I'll almost definitely see her again soon, so I'm hoping to see some improvement, and bring her in for a bit if I don't.

Hornets23
06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Might as well lend a helping hand where we can...humanity has done enough to hurt nature so why not help when we get the chance?

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-25-2011, 10:49 PM

A. Yes.

I see nothing wrong with this :D haha!

maybe it's because I am a troll.

Trolling is a art.

kibakiba
06-25-2011, 11:00 PM
It's only an art when you do it, Shannon.

ConcinusMan
06-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Might as well lend a helping hand where we can...humanity has done enough to hurt nature so why not help when we get the chance?

Because "helping" is still interfering. Help is often misguided and has unintended harmful consequences. You could just be denying some other creature a meal which was brought to it by natural causes. Not every sick and/or dying animal in nature should be helped. Animals get injured or sick in nature every day and provide food for other creatures. Death, sickness, and injury is a natural part nature. If you want to help, then I would suggest helping in a situation in which the harm is directly and immediately caused by man, to offset the damage. Such as... capturing and rehoming animals in immediate danger of being killed by a bulldozer for example. Volunteering to help capture and rehabilitate animals directly affected by man-made environmental disasters, etc.

Here's where I must be confused.

The question had a "multiple choice" answer.

A. Yes.

How exactly does that constitute any answer at all?;):):D

Because the answer is "yes". You should turn left or right. Which way, depends on many circumstances and variables. I was not provided with that information, so the answer is "yes". Now do you understand why I answered that way?

It's only an art when you do it, Shannon.

Hey! I'm a master in the art of trolling. Got a degree and everything that I printed up in word on my computer. My talent is just under appreciated here is all.:rolleyes: Everyone here gets so bent out of shape, (stage 1 accomplished) that I don't have a chance to get the angry people laughing again and no longer angry. (stage 2, total failure in this venue) Now that's an art.

infernalis
06-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Hey! I'm a master in the art of trolling. Got a degree and everything that I printed up in word on my computer. My talent is just under appreciated is all.:rolleyes:

I appreciate your talent, keeps me from falling asleep at my PC.

kibakiba
06-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Sorry Richard, I like Shannon's trolling better... :D

ConcinusMan
06-26-2011, 01:20 AM
No you don't. You just prefer Shannon's trolling.:rolleyes:

kibakiba
06-26-2011, 04:47 AM
She's more creative. Sorry Richard, but women tend to be better at these things. Don't argue, men always lose arguments with women. :)

:rolleyes::D

Didymus20X6
06-26-2011, 06:34 AM
"I just know that there are two theories when arguing with women. And neither one works." - John Marsten, Red Dead Redemption.

Hornets23
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
You have to be smart enough to pick your battles I suppose.

d_virginiana
06-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Haha, I missed out on that entire conversation about trolling. Never thought about what style of trolling I prefer...

Just a quick update on the snake: Bear found her for me again today, and it must have just been an injury and not an infection because the swelling has gone way down and the wound is all black and scabbed over now. I guess I must have seen her just after the injury happened the other day; the whole left side of her jaw was purple and so swollen that her whole mouth just gaped open. Now she can mostly close it. It was a pleasant surprise :)

ConcinusMan
06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Well that sounds promising. Any improvement, however minor, is still an improvement.:)

snakehill
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Trolling? please be more specific!:o

ConcinusMan
06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29)

snakehill
06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks Richard! Back in the day we had Troll dolls. Anyone old enough to remember that?:confused:

ConcinusMan
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Sure, but that's way off topic.;)

snakehill
06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Oh off topic this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

ConcinusMan
06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Oh off topic this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

That's not how you troll. You need practice. A good place to learn is youtube:p

snakehill
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I noticed that you haven't friended me on youtube!:rolleyes:

Hornets23
06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Why would anyone WANT to be a troll...this is beyond me..

snakehill
06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Thank you! I agree!!;)

guidofatherof5
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm with you.;)

ConcinusMan
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I noticed that you haven't friended me on youtube!:rolleyes:

I don't friend anyone on youtube.:rolleyes:

You either get it, or you don't. There's no in between.

snakehill
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Well excuse me!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:What does this mean exactly???:rolleyes:

Hornets23
06-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Phew. What a relief.