PDA

View Full Version : I want 1 Radix female! what is the best way to get one?

Philminator
06-16-2011, 03:15 PM
ok so after looking at Steve's Radix Ranch for a long time here and there, I've decided I definitely want 1 as they are also native to Canada from where I spent some time growing up in Calgary, question is this, why do Steve's radix's look different than the ones I google? so far from the google pics I've looked at it's making me question wether or not some of my easterns could be radix's lol I'm confused, and secondly, how hard would it be for me In Ottawa ontario next to Gatineau Quebec would it be to obtain one of these?

guidofatherof5
06-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Great choice.
I think T. radix is a hearty and easily tamed snake.
They seem to adapt well to people.;)

Philminator
06-16-2011, 03:36 PM
indeed and they are the larger of the 3 species of garters found in it's region in canada as well :) and seem to be more eager to eat anything given to them vs some other species native to Canada, the problem is.....getting one :(

guidofatherof5
06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I must also admit that T.s.parietalis(Red Sided Garter) is an awesome snake.

Philminator
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I must also admit that T.s.parietalis(Red Sided Garter) is an awesome snake.
funny you say that, i just messaged someone on this forum who has babies for sale if he could ship 1 or 2 to Canada :)
Radix, red sided, florida blue, giant, san fran, coastal, wandering, checkered, and pugent sound are some of my favorite Thamnophis's

guidofatherof5
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
funny you say that, i just messaged someone on this forum who has babies for sale if he could ship 1 or 2 to Canada :)
Radix, red sided, florida blue, giant, san fran, coastal, wandering, checkered, and pugent sound are some of my favorite Thamnophis's

Make it easier on yourself. Like them all.;)

Philminator
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Make it easier on yourself. Like them all.;)

I really do because even though all I ever see are the common ones with yellow stripes when I go hiking for some odd reason it never gets boring over the years hunting and knowing I'll only find one of 2 snakes and it's usually always a garter :P it's still exciting each time.

guidofatherof5
06-16-2011, 04:00 PM
I really do because even though all I ever see are the common ones with yellow stripes when I go hiking for some odd reason it never gets boring over the years hunting and knowing I'll only find one of 2 snakes and it's usually always a garter :P it's still exciting each time.

"Confessions of a true garter snake lover";)

d_virginiana
06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Houdini (my snake) strongly suggests you get a florida blue :rolleyes: Though I have to say all of those sound like good possibilities.

Philminator
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
would be nice but few people deal with selling garters in canada, and if they do it's a once every 3-4 year thing hence why I want to get into breeding even if I barely make any money and I break even with food over the year, first and foremost it's a hobby, second it's making money even though I'm dirt poor it would be nice to make a few $ and once I have a few different species of garters I can sell within Canada since most big time breeders like your scotts and such are all in the USA and shipping is triple the price of the snake itself.

d_virginiana
06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
would be nice but few people deal with selling garters in canada, and if they do it's a once every 3-4 year thing hence why I want to get into breeding even if I barely make any money and I break even with food over the year, first and foremost it's a hobby, second it's making money even though I'm dirt poor it would be nice to make a few $ and once I have a few different species of garters I can sell within Canada since most big time breeders like your scotts and such are all in the USA and shipping is triple the price of the snake itself.

There's so many around here I forget there aren't very many on the market in Canada.. It'd be nice to see garters gain the sort of popularity that pythons and some other snakes have in the pet trade. It seems like you can find those almost anywhere.
I'm hopefully going to start breeding them in the next year or two as well, but same for me; it's just something I enjoy doing, and if I manage to get a little money off it then that'd be a bonus.

ConcinusMan
06-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I think we talked about this before. You don't simply "ship 1 or 2 to Canada". It's a lot more complicated (and expensive) than that. That's why you can't find many garters or morphs in Canada in the first place. It's not even close to cost effective to ship one or two unless you include them in with a much more valuable shipment of other reptiles.

Maybe you should talk to Spankenstyne. He got one of my garters into Canada. I shipped to a US address, and an exporter here put the snake in with a large reptile export going to Canada. We're likely going to do it again soon. Maybe he can arrange to buy or acquire some garters for you and get them imported. I don't know. Maybe. He knows more about importing (to Canada) from U.S. than I do. But I do know this takes months of planning and there is perhaps one shot each year to get some garters into Canada. If you don't make arrangements ahead of time, you "miss the boat".

Philminator
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
then I might have to wait and make a big order then as 3-4 months from now I will have about 1000$ to play with and I want to invest it in getting some nice garters over here since I still can't find Dr Phil Blais who is 2 hours from me who supposedly breeds and sells garters.