PDA

View Full Version : Gravid female

adamanteus
05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I was in the pet store today, buying pinkies and some other stuff. I had a walk around, (as you do,) seeing what was on sale, and they had a large obviously gravid T.s. parietalis for £55-. I didn't buy her because she was clearly wild caught and very ugly! But now I kind of wish I had bought her....her babies might have been beautiful. I need someone to tell me I made the right choice please! Gravid or not, you can't just buy every Garter you see, can you?

Thamnophis
05-05-2007, 06:39 PM
James, I think you did the right thing.
If you suspect it is wildcaught, who knows what kind of trouble you got into your collection. And such a common subspecies is principly wrong to buy wildcaught. When it is a rare species/subspecies you throw away your principles.
And you are also right on: you cannot buy every garter snake.

Cazador
05-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Honestly James... I also think you did the right thing. Granted that there is a lot of variability in how the offspring look, but if the mother looked poor, there's no reason to suspect that the father looked any better if they came from the same region (in the wild). There are such pretty parietalis out there that I'd just buy one you're happy with instead of keeping a mediocre one for the next 5-10 years.

Rick

drache
05-06-2007, 05:39 AM
I agree with all the wise comments, but truthfully - it'd been a tough choice for me as well

Gijs & Sabine
05-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I also agree with the others, James. There are beautifull parietalis available from a lot of different bloodlines, so why take the risk ?

mikm
05-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey James ... 'you can't just buy every Garter you see, can you?' Your statement sums it up well James. I feel you made the correct choice and I have made that very comment to myself many times ...

A merry Sunday to you :)
marian

CrazyHedgehog
05-06-2007, 03:57 PM
No you can't James...
But I can...where was the pet shop again.?

He he he he

adamanteus
05-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Inga, it was an ugly snake! Even uglier than me!

CrazyHedgehog
05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow...that bad huh...lol
(I might like ugly! - you havent seen my hubby!)