PDA

View Full Version : Flood Worries

Pages : [1] 2

guidofatherof5
06-03-2011, 10:57 AM
It looks like I may be in a pocket of safety when in comes to possible flooding in my town.
Not sure what I would do if suddenly I had to make move. I'm able to container up many of my snakes but some might have to be left.
Hoping it doesn't come to making a decision like that.
They are talking about another 7 foot rise in the river(Missouri River)

Plissken
06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I've been noticing CB being mentioned in the news quite a lot lately, I was wondering what kind of danger the ranch was in. good to hear you may be safe, really hope it doesn't come to evacuating.

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Me too. Hope you AND ALL your snakes are ok.

guidofatherof5
06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Seems like the South end of our town is at the biggest risk.
Good thing I live on the North end.
Looks like Omaha may get more flooding than Council Bluffs.
Of course, if the levee fails in my area we will flood.
Going out a little later to get some photos to post.

kibakiba
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Perhaps you can get some of the snakes ready just in case. It is always better safe than sorry.

Hoping you guys won't get any flooding, and your family and snakes will be in my thoughts.

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Ditto. Prayin' for ya

Sonya610
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
That would be very scary. Hopefully it is just a false alarm.

Hate to ask this but if the levee broke would it be really massive flooding to rooftops? And if so what would you have to do? Release some of the native radix and take the rest?

guidofatherof5
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Don't know. Never had these worries before.:confused:

kibakiba
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Stay positive and know what whatever happens, it will always turn out okay in the end. I try to live by that little motto :)

d_virginiana
06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll be keeping you and your family (reptilian members included) in my thoughts. Hopefully the levees hold up and you won't have to make any tough decisions.

guidofatherof5
06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
The first photo is from me standing in a levee looking down in to a park on the edge of town. I marked the normal river bank.
The second photo is of the road that goes over the levee. Within a few days it will be covered and closed.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/river2.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/river11.jpg

ConcinusMan
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Lower Columbia river (separates Oregon and Washington) has been at or above flood stage for over two weeks now. Last time I checked, the water was flowing at over 550,000 cubic feet per second. Average for this time of year is around 350,000 CFPS. Yikes. It finally did quit raining but now we're headed for temps around 85 degrees and there's going to be a lot of snow melt feeding the river.

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 02:32 PM
How far from your house are you in those? Is it dangerously close?

Reptar!
06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I think we should keep all the families in that area in our prayers. Floods are no joke. I did some tornado relief in Kansas and those families were all up-rooted. I can see floods being just as devastating.

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Ditto, I just got NAILED by a tornado, but by some miracle, despite 200 trees being uprooted, nothing touched the house. I can't imagine getting flooded.

In our prayers, man.

guidofatherof5
06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
How far from your house are you in those? Is it dangerously close?

8/10th of a mile.

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
... not cool.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-03-2011, 05:06 PM
if you don't already have some, get yourself some rubbermaids with good lids and have them ready and open, just in case. In the event you guys have to leave your house in an emergency... you could quickly open up all your cages and throw the snakes into the bins and take them with you. The snakes will not be thrilled about being stuck in a bin with so many others... but if it's to save their lives and it's only temporary, they will be OK in the long run. I would just have a couple bins available so that you can put like-sizes of snakes in the same bin to prevent smothering. If things went really bad, I am sure plenty of people on this forum including myself would offer to foster snakes for you until things got better. I sure hope it doesn't come to that! :(

Enneirda.
06-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I'll keep you in my thoughts Steve.

ConcinusMan
06-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Just saw on the news that the same thing is happening where I live.

Columbia River surpasses flood stage; E Ore. warning canceled - Koinlocal6.com (http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Columbia-River-surpasses-flood-stage-E-Ore/wglUYulpb0uzQJvwz3LJyQ.cspx)

errr.. what boat launch?

http://www.koinlocal6.com/media/lib/107/4/7/3/473f9317-4d41-4a04-8944-988033bfb3c9/Original.jpg

The water this lady is looking at is supposed to be a sidewalk about 10-15 feet higher and away from the river.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/media/lib/107/c/e/8/ce820ec7-ab16-485d-9adf-c98146b1467e/Original.jpg

Where there are trees and should be sand/river banks there's nothing but water. Parks and picnic tables are under water. Someone up there flipped a switch and we went from miserably cold and wet to instant summer. Very, very warm. Heck, it's still 71 right now and that's warmer than our high was yesterday. Close to 90 tomorrow. Kinda sucks because that's the kind of weather that brings people to the river beaches and parks but they're all under water.:( Seems everywhere you go around the country, it's pretty much the same story. High water.

The high water is great for garter snake herping though. It always causes them to seek higher ground where they can be found in high concentrations. When the water recedes, it always leaves isolated pools that are teeming with bullfrog tadpoles/ eggs and small fish. Quite a feast for the garter snakes.:D

guidofatherof5
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Rumors flying all around town. None of them sound good for me at this point.
By mid-week I should know more of the truth.

RicMartin
06-04-2011, 11:48 PM
You are in our prayers.

Spankenstyne
06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Hoping for all the best Steve!

If you have spare pillowcases you can also always have a bunch on the ready near the enclosures to quickly bag up so you can keep what you want separated and stack the bags in bins. Then you won't need to worry about keeping track of so many bins. Again not a perfect solution but much better than the alternative of having to leave some behind. Hope it never has to come to that or even worse having to decide what you can take and what you have to leave.

I really hope the rumours you're hearing stay as rumours.

kibakiba
06-05-2011, 01:51 AM
I also hope that everything stays as just a rumour.

charles parenteau
06-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Good luck my dear friend!!

guidofatherof5
06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Looks like a week from now will be make or break time.
I'm leaning more towards us getting flooded.
Preparing for the worst now.

RedSidedSPR
06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
In our prayers...

guidofatherof5
06-05-2011, 04:56 PM
In the process of moving valuables from the basement to the attic.
Gathered 12 pillow cases and a bunch of snake bags in the event a move is needed.
Planning on bagging everyone and using a few containers to get them out.
Charging all flashlights and ziplock bagging some smaller electronics.
Will decide mid to late week whether to shutdown and move the computers.
If I have to go off the air I'll try to check in from any hot-spots I can find.
52 years of life and this is the first flood threat.
Learning that much of what I thought was valuable really isn't.
All I really care about is keeping my kids safe and keeping our guests from harm.

Spankenstyne
06-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Amazing how our priorities become so much more clear when it hits the fan. Best of luck Steve, we're pulling for you bigtime my friend and sincerely hope any flooding doesn't happen. Keep us in the loop if you can but obviously that's a ways down the priority list ;)

ScimitarX
06-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Best of luck to all at the ranch, hope it doesnt come to moving, but if it does, that you all come back safe...

RedSidedSPR
06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
ditto.

PINJOHN
06-06-2011, 03:51 AM
sat down to write you some words of encouragement Steve, and i found my self just starring at the key boards, i haven't got a clue what form of words could encourage someone who is in danger of having his home inundated,I can only say that you can be sure that myself and every one of your many friends on the sites have our fingers crossed and any thing else that is possible to cross.

kibakiba
06-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Here is something that might be encouraging...
Everyone on the forum is here for you, no matter what happens and would be willing to do anything in their power to help you through this tough time, whether it be being there when you need someone to talk to, providing a temporary home for your snakes, etc.
I'm sure at least a few people will agree with me when I say this (Richard might not... ;)), we love you, and you have done so much for everyone. We're all here for you.

RedSidedSPR
06-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Yes we are!... although there's not much I can do down here:rolleyes:

drache
06-06-2011, 08:35 AM
what's it looking like today?
it seems like there are day-to-day changes in the prognosis
I keep hoping it'll slow down and you'll be spared

Mommy2many
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi, Steve,

Hope you don't have to make that move and collect everybody. Keeping fingers crossed for you and yours as well as the ones outside. They are also in extreme danger.:(

Le Ann

guidofatherof5
06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Snake room is prepared for whatever.
Preparing it for less work if the worst happens.
Snakes are ready for a grab and go.
Continuing to clear out the basement of valuables.
Kids are working hard and cooperating.
Kids are handling this every well.
Very mature young people. I'm proud of them.

drache
06-07-2011, 04:19 AM
Thinking of you all through the day
glad to hear you're prepared
your kids totally rock

infernalis
06-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Thinking of you all through the day
glad to hear you're prepared
your kids totally rock

^^^^^^ditto Steve^^^^^

RedSidedSPR
06-07-2011, 07:05 AM
I also am ditto-ing.;)

BLUESIRTALIS
06-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Steve i hope everything works out ok you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Selkielass
06-07-2011, 07:44 AM
You're in my thoughts. I hope moving is unnecessary.

guidofatherof5
06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Visited a local park this evening. This park is about a mile from my house.
The area where I used to find dekays and Red Sided is under about 15 feet of water.
I was amazed at the amount of water. They are predicting that I-29 will be closed this weekend.
We have a 42 foot levee system. They are expecting 36 feet of water.
Problem is these levees will have to hold this level of water all Summer long. Then I hear Montana got a years worth of rain the other day and thats on top of a 40 foot snow pack.
All that water will be entering the Missouri River and heading our way of the next month of so.

zooplan
06-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I´ve experienced a lot of storm tides at the North Sea, but allways from a save point.
Google Earth tells, that the Ranch is only 20 feet higher than the normal river level.
I keep my fingers crossed, that all your preparations will never come to onset.

PINJOHN
06-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Stave i have just had a pm from tank he says he has no idea why you should be worried, he says what could possibly be negative about a whole dose of river water, i think you should have a serious word with that chelonian house guest.:rolleyes::D

on a serious note continuing to keep fingers crossed, and attempting to call in any favors that might be owed me upstairs.

Mix
06-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Just noticed this. I'm crossing my fingers for you all. Even in the midst of this, you were still taking time to give me words of advice - all my hope is with you. xx

guidofatherof5
06-08-2011, 11:42 AM
In addition to the rising waters all around, we also have to deal with the clouds of mosquitoes.
I went out and cut the grass today. Every time I was in a shaded area thousands, maybe 10's of thousands of mosquitoes would rise from the grass.
My dogs have to monitored every time they go out. Business only, then back in.
My kids are not allowed outside in the morning or evening.
Not much time for play anyway.
I think I'll take them to dinner tonight. They've been working hard.

indigoman
06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the updates Steve. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. The Norton clan.

guidofatherof5
06-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Here are a few photos from about 3/4 of a mile from my house.
The first photo shows the road just down from my old work.
Photo 2 is of the park area. To the right is the old soccer field(now lake).
90% of this water shouldn't be there. The water is flowing in here and backing up to the North.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood1.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood2.jpg

drache
06-09-2011, 04:11 AM
it looks serene and a little creepy all at once

guidofatherof5
06-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Just got the word this morning. I-29 is going to shutdown today. All Northbound traffic will exit a couple blocks from my house.
Now that's one more thing to deal with.
This is getting good.

Sid
06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I hope all goes well for you, Steve.

Spankenstyne
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Hope you manage to stay dry and avoid the flood Steve. Is there any sort of sandbagging effort happening for the homes out there or is there not expected to be much point?

guidofatherof5
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I hope all goes well for you, Steve.

Great seeing you on the forum Sid.
Thanks.

guidofatherof5
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Hope you manage to stay dry and avoid the flood Steve. Is there any sort of sandbagging effort happening for the homes out there or is there not expected to be much point?

Some are sandbagging and other are not.
If we get the the water that is possible it won't do any good.

Plissken
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
We got a good rain storm over here today, any of it hit you? Every time I look at the weather for the day I'm hoping for dry weather in CB.

guidofatherof5
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Dry weather is the least of our wants here. We got a little rain her today.
You guys got more rain.
The river just keeps rising. It's all a waiting game here.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Sonya610
06-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Saw this article on another forum. Pretty scary stuff, the snow pack is many times above average. They say St. Louis could be in really serious trouble...

As a guest on KMOX’s Total Information AM Wednesday, Shanks was asked what he fears will happen should the Fort Peck Dam fail and set off a chain-reaction.

“There would be a flood like you’ve never seen,” Shanks told hosts Doug McElvein and Debbie Monterrey. “It would be literally of biblical proportions.”

He foresees a very real threat of “chest-high” water in St. Louis before summer’s end.

Shanks’ main concern: that the Fort Peck dam, which he maintains is built with a “flawed design”, would be overwhelmed by snow-melt and heavy rains up north and give way, causing reservoirs downstream to collapse in a domino effect.

If that happens?

“It would be the most epic man-made disaster in the United States,” Shanks replied bluntly.

He says most of the dams holding back water along the Missouri River are 50 to 70 years old, and like people they tend to weaken with time.

Expert Warns Missouri River Could See “Flood of Biblical Proportions” « CBS St. Louis (http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/06/08/expert-warns-missouri-river-could-see-flood-of-biblical-proportions/)

guidofatherof5
06-10-2011, 06:00 AM
And now for the good news.......:D

guidofatherof5
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
River keeps rising and they tell us we have nothing to worry about.
As long as the levees that were designed to hold back flood stage water for a short period of time will hold it back for a long period of time.:D
It's the waiting part of this that I don't like.
We have prepared as best we can and now we must wait.
They are saying an additional million gallons a second will be released from the S.D. dam in the coming week.

guidofatherof5
06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
South of my city saw a levee failure today.

xwflQ9sv3Gs

ScimitarX
06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Aww man, thats bad. Still sending my thoughts and prayers your way for things to be ok...

Sonya610
06-13-2011, 06:15 PM
South of my city saw a levee failure today.

Yeah, saw an article about Hamburg earlier today. Thought about posting it but didn't want to be the poster of "gloom and doom". Last I read the levy breach was over 200' wide. Quick search of google maps showed it was 60 or so miles below you.

guidofatherof5
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
300' wide now.

guidofatherof5
06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Ground water table on the rise. Pumps running more often.
Laundry room floor wet this morning.
The dam in Gavin's Point S.D. is now releasing 1.1. million gallons a second.
Happy, happy, joy, joy.:mad:

RedSidedSPR
06-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Crap. Still praying.

d_virginiana
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Praying for you :(

Mommy2many
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM
And you just found that floor:D

Seriously, that sucks. Keeping fingers crossed that you can stay put!

guidofatherof5
06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Got out the sledge hammer and busted some floor up. Creating a low area for the water to follow over to a drain. Seems to be working so far.
Just found out that Gavin's Point Dam is dumping the maximum amount of water possible. At least they can't send any additional water down to us now. We're still expecting a 5 foot rise in the river of the next few days.
Praying the levee holds for the next couple of months.

RedSidedSPR
06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Must have been fun:D

Praying for you, hope it works out.

Sonya610
06-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Ummmm....really hope this report is false but they say a Nuclear Power Plant in Fort Calhoun, Nebraska (30 miles up the river from where Steve is) has had a Level 4 accident and is being flooded by the Missouri River.

Nebraska Nuclear Plant at Level 4 Accident | Hawai`i News Daily (http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2011/06/nebraska-nuclear-plant-at-level-4-disaster/)

The Fort Calhoun, Nebraska, Nuclear power plant (http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/fcs.html) is going down fast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mSvvmrB7qEg) due to massive flooding.
The NRC has declared it a level 4 accident.
The FAA has issued (http://131.131.7.97/FAA/TFRTxT.asp?ID=19471) the following directive, shutting down airspace over the plant:
FDC 1/6523 ZMP FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS FORT CALHOUN NUCLEAR POWER PLANT BLAIR,NE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(3) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR FLOOD RELIEF EFFORTS WITHIN A 2 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 413113N/0960438W OR THE OMAHA /OVR/ VORTAC 316 DEGREE RADIAL AT 26.1 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 3500 FEET MSL. NEBRASKA STATE PATROL, LT. FRANK PECK TELEPHONE 402-450-1867 IS IN CHARGE OF THE OPERATION. MINNEAPOLIS /ZMP/ ARTCC

Sonya610
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Steve in case you are looking for more info here is an interesting interview about the events at the plant with Arnie Gunderson, an expert on Nuclear Power.

Apparently there is not much mainstream media coverage of this story right now (suspiciously quiet seeing as the world is so focused on the Fukushima situation).

mSvvmrB7qEg

drache
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
now that's creepy

ConcinusMan
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Ummmm....really hope this report is false but they say a Nuclear Power Plant in Fort Calhoun, Nebraska (30 miles up the river from where Steve is) has had a Level 4 accident and is being flooded by the Missouri River.

Nebraska Nuclear Plant at Level 4 Accident | Hawai`i News Daily (http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2011/06/nebraska-nuclear-plant-at-level-4-disaster/)

And it didn't take long for Liveleak.com and a bunch of others to blow it way out of proportion and start talking of conspiricy and cover up. What a bunch of morons.

Yes, there was a slight mishap at the plant which was quickly brought under control. There wasn't even a need for the emergency alert system or reverse 911 because the public was never in any immediate danger. But then that's all it takes to get some of these idiots talking about cover ups and conspiracy.:rolleyes:

Didymus20X6
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! And the proof is the fact that there's no proof! Because, as we all know, if there's no proof, it's because there's a cover-up!

>Equip tin foil hat

drache
06-17-2011, 02:44 PM
And it didn't take long for Liveleak.com and a bunch of others to blow it way out of proportion and start talking of conspiricy and cover up. What a bunch of morons.

Yes, there was a slight mishap at the plant which was quickly brought under control. There wasn't even a need for the emergency alert system or reverse 911 because the public was never in any immediate danger. But then that's all it takes to get some of these idiots talking about cover ups and conspiracy.:rolleyes:
with you on that one
moreover it makes everyone roll their eyes and forget that there is a bit of an increased risk of something just plain old going wrong - what with the floods and all
let's just hope the persons in charge are as well prepared for this amount of water as they need to be

mb90078
06-17-2011, 09:11 PM

While that's all true, it is still very odd of the media to not eat this story up and make headline news out of it, even if nobody was ever in danger, especially after this whole Japan thing. I'm no conspiracy nut, but come on now...

Sonya610
06-17-2011, 09:12 PM

Is that why the MSM has said nothing about it? Were the photos doctored? Honestly I started visiting a new forum and came across this and the fact it was NOT talked about among major news outlets is freaky as heck.

Ever see Pulp Fiction Richard? Remember Mr. Wolfe asking for linens? If I wanted to cover up a HUGE flood throwing an inflatable dam around it might very well make it look like the dam was there BEFORE the flood. If the plant is that darn safe and secure why is the parking lot flooded?

Good engineering and "nothing to see here" would not lead to a "no fly zone" and to this:

http://www.grayanimalrescue.org/garters/aquadam.jpg

ConcinusMan
06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
What gets me is this "Hawaii news daily" stating "The Fort Calhoun, Nebraska,power plant (http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/fcs.html) is going down fast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mSvvmrB7qEg) due to massive flooding."

That's a bit ridiculous and misleading. They posted it on June 14th. The incident happened on June 9th and was under control just 90 minutes later. They didn't even need to declare an official emergency. It was merely an "unusual incident" and was reported as such immediately. How is it that it's "going down fast" 4 days after the incident when it only 90 minutes to get it under control?

The more I read from this "hawaii news daily" the more it sounds like a fear mongering rag not fit to wipe myself with.:cool: Complete rubbish.

There's a reason none of the major news media covered this. It's not news. It's fodder for fear mongers.

Sonya610
06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
While that's all true, it is still very odd of the media to not eat this story up and make headline news out of it, even if nobody was ever in danger, especially after this whole Japan thing. I'm no conspiracy nut, but come on now...

Yuppers. How many times have many of us been bombarded with "storm watch" news alerts. Big drama, storm possible, might SNOW, flooding possible, tune in frequently cause minute to minute updates are important.

Yet this high drama minute to minute incredibly lucrative story that would draw HUGE MASSIVE audiences is...well....completely ignored. Guess the networks and their advertisers don't need revenue or high drama.

Sonya610
06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
The more I read from this "hawaii news daily" the more it sounds like a fear mongering rag not fit to wipe myself with.:cool: Complete rubbish.

There's a reason none of the major news media covered this. It's not news. It's fodder for fear mongers.

Okay so that in itself is a mainstream big network news story -- false nuclear threat goes viral watch at 10.

Hawaii is getting hit hard by fukushima worries so yeah they would be paying close attention to anything involving radiation.

Seriously Richard I thought it might be a hoax too, but if it is, it is amazingly grand, the Arnie Gunderson guy, photos, multiple small paper articles, if this is a hoax it is a rare one.

d_virginiana
06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
This may or may not be a hoax, but regardless, I don't trust that Hawaii newspaper thing. Just didn't seem very legit. On the other hand, no major nuclear disaster has ever 'happened' according to the government in charge of a plant until things get so out of hand it can't be hidden. I'm not one to yell 'conspiracy' at every little turn, but I've gotta say I don't trust governments (ours or anyone else's) to be entirely up front when it comes to potential nuclear disasters either.

Sonya610
06-17-2011, 10:33 PM
This may or may not be a hoax, but regardless, I don't trust that Hawaii newspaper thing. Just didn't seem very legit. On the other hand, no major nuclear disaster has ever 'happened' according to the government in charge of a plant until things get so out of hand it can't be hidden. I'm not one to yell 'conspiracy' at every little turn, but I've gotta say I don't trust governments (ours or anyone else's) to be entirely up front when it comes to potential nuclear disasters either.

It isn't about the Hawaiin newspaper, fact is this is a Garter forum yet apparently many here seem very very aware of the topic. Said topic has NOT hit mainstream news. Now THAT is WEIRD! This forum gets posts about fish vs earthworms, yet it seems most are aware of the topic and there is no msm coverage.

Hornets23
06-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Just saw this steve. Thoughts and prayers are with you! Any updates?

d_virginiana
06-17-2011, 11:40 PM
It isn't about the Hawaiin newspaper, fact is this is a Garter forum yet apparently many here seem very very aware of the topic. Said topic has NOT hit mainstream news. Now THAT is WEIRD! This forum gets posts about fish vs earthworms, yet it seems most are aware of the topic and there is no msm coverage.

To be fair, the only reason I knew anything about it was because I saw the link you posted :rolleyes: But I really haven't been keeping up to date on current events like I should, so I don't really know much about what's going on. I just know that I wouldn't trust our government to be totally honest if they thought something could be covered up.

ConcinusMan
06-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Okay so that in itself is a mainstream big network news story -- false nuclear threat goes viral watch at 10.

Not exactly false. Just a case of the "news" describing a mole hill as if it were Mt. Fuji erupting.

Hawaii is getting hit hard by fukushima worries so yeah they would be paying close attention to anything involving radiation.

Or anything having to do with Spam shortages, so called "chemtrails", aliens landing in Washington D.C., women giving birth to half reptile/half man..:cool:.

Seriously Richard I thought it might be a hoax too, but if it is, it is amazingly grand, the Arnie Gunderson guy, photos, multiple small paper articles, if this is a hoax it is a rare one.

It's not a hoax but even if it is, it's not a particularly good one, and hoaxes are not rare. In this case there was an incident. This isn't "balloon boy" But again, the reality is, it's like a mouse farted and they're making it out to be an all out nuclear explosion.

Look, I don't want you guys to think that I always take this "side" And not to change the subject, but I do believe there is more to the 911 attacks than what we are being told. (please do not go off and talk about that) There's more to a lot things than we are being told. I just don't believe that this incident was anything more than what the officials said it was. There was a scary moment but nothing to warrant this paranoia.

All I saying is that moderation is needed. Use your brain. Take what is said by these few so-called "news" sources, with grain of salt.

I know this thread is titled "flood worries" but c'mon. Lets get back to reality. I really think we should drop the whole nuclear thing. I think what's more important right now is the lives and homes that being affected by this historic flooding. There's enough drama in real life cases of real disasters having real devastating affects on real people. Enough of this crap. Let's talk about what's really going on.

Sonya610
06-18-2011, 07:26 AM
All I saying is that moderation is needed. Use your brain. Take what is said by these few so-called "news" sources, with grain of salt.

Richard I posted the story in this thread because it is basically in Steve's backyard (30 miles up river). There is no news coverage so it is possible a whole lot of folks living in that plants shadow have not heard about it.

Maybe it really is completely under control, maybe it isn't. Regardless the people in the area should be notified of the situation so they make the decision for themselves. Historically governments (Japan, Russia, U.S.) always lie shamelessly to cover up the severity of REAL nuclear accidents; that isn't a conspiracy theory that is well documented fact.

There is no doubt the plant had a fire on the 9th that knocked out the cooling system for a while, there is no doubt they are concerned about flooding, and the no fly ban appears to be very real. While these plants have procedures in place to deal with single incidents, when multiple things start going wrong they are far less prepared to deal with it.
Electrical Fire Knocks Out Spent Fuel Cooling at Nebraska Nuclear Plant: Scientific American (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=electrical-fire-knocks-out-spent-fuel-cooling-nebraska-nuclear-plant)

guidofatherof5
06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Had a city worker stop by my house to explain the evacuation procedures if they are implemented.
If they have to come and get you out of your house you get to take:
1- bag
2- animal carriers if you also have a leash for those animals.

Looks like I'll be staying with the zoo.
300+ garter snakes
2-dogs
4-turtles
1-tortoise
1-hamster
1-chinchilla
5-cockatiels
1-salamander
8- misc. other larger snakes

d_virginiana
06-18-2011, 10:35 PM
That's only if the situation gets so bad that you couldn't leave on your own, right? (On a side note, who thought up the 'leash' thing if someone already has a carrier? It's like they're ignoring how many people have cats and that fact that likely next to none of them have leashes!) I really hope it doesn't come to that.
One of the things I hate most about the aftermath of natural disasters is seeing the multitudes of starving and abandoned animals. It's good to know that these at least have someone really devoted to them.

jitami
06-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Thinking of you, Steve. I'm sure this has been covered since I skimmed over most of the thread, but is there someplace within a reasonable driving distance that you could move the reptiles to temporarily? I know it would be a lot of work and a bit of stress on the snakes, but I'd much rather see you be able to evacuate with the kids if need be! Hugs...

Sonya610
06-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Looks like I'll be staying with the zoo.

You didn't mention the 5 kids. Did you send them off already and now you are staying with the animals?

It really ain't looking good, the levies downstream are failing and they will be releasing a lot more water by Wednesday.

If you and the animals can evacuate; get out soon. I commend you for your devotion to your animals; I would not leave mine either.

guidofatherof5
06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
At this time my kids are still with me. 3 of them are heading to church camp today until Thurs.
They are all for staying with dad.
My X keeps scaring them with things like "Wear your life jacket all the time"
Don't get me wrong, their safety is a prime concern.
I'm just proud of my kids and their courage and devotion to our family. They all want to stay as a family and see this thing through.
Safety and common sense will prevail in all my decisions.;)

RedSidedSPR
06-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Hope it all works out.

PINJOHN
06-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Steve have you noticed what the situation is with the wild snakes in the area,have you received more from lower ground or have you perhaps noticed them leaving your area for any higher ground, i am assuming that there is more than a bit of movement of animals in general, still sending most of my our fathers and hail Mary's in your direction.

guidofatherof5
06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Haven't noticed anything unusual with any of the wildlife in my area. Business as usual for them.
Even my wild radix population is still hanging on at home.

Interesting question PINJOHN. It will be something I watch more closely from now on. Thanks.

HazAnga
06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
We all hope things don't git too much worse for you. We are all holding you and your family in our prayers.

guidofatherof5
06-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks to all of you during this trying time.;)

RedSidedSPR
06-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I was starting to wonder about the wildlife too. Whether they would start moving away etc...

guidofatherof5
06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
A couple more sections of the levee failed south of my city in Missouri.
This river isn't giving anyone a break.
I also heard that more of I-29 is closed. They have also closed my exit.
I'm getting concerned that they know something about this part of the levee. Hope I'm wrong.
I'll be making some phone calls in the morning.

Heavy rains moving into the area for the night. GREAT.

Spankenstyne
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds like it might be a plan to start moving stuff upstairs if you have the room? Wish I lived nearby to be able to hold onto some stuff for ya while this is happening Steve, scary stuff & hope it all comes to pass with nothing more than some stress & worry.
In our thoughts my friend, sending all the best vibes we can your way

guidofatherof5
06-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Big storms and heavy rain moving through right now.

RedSidedSPR
06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Does that mean anything, or is it just a storm?

guidofatherof5
06-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Just more water. Not needed but no emergency for us at this time.

RedSidedSPR
06-20-2011, 08:02 PM
ok good.

Hornets23
06-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Good luck Steve...it really seems like there is no end to the storms and rain.

Plissken
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Looks like I'm about to get a taste of said big storms, if the radar speaks the truth anyway...

guidofatherof5
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
We got a couple inches of rain over the last two days. Levees are holding so far.
Found out they closed my exit of I-29 because a pump failed and the water level was up to the interstate.
Once they repair or replace the pump I'm hoping they will reopen my exit(exit 55)
Hoping for some dry weather over the next few days.

guidofatherof5
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
My city is at a level 1 flood alert. Before we were at no level.
Not a good sign as things seem to be deteriorating.
Not sure what to think at this time.

RedSidedSPR
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm thinkin "crap". praying for ya man.

guidofatherof5
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM
All day I heard the helicopter dropping 1600 lb sand bags along the levee in Nebr.

RedSidedSPR
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I know how it is to have a helicopter all day. Tornado hit us, and the freaking news would not leave the overerhead shot for almost the whole day.. But at least this one was doing something good. Hope it all works out.

Plissken
06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
they dumping anything on the iowa side of the river?

guidofatherof5
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Not in my general area.
Just south of Council Bluffs many are being moved out.
Levees are not as high and the river is higher there.

guidofatherof5
06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Great, Montana is getting heavy rains. That will still have to come down the Missouri River. It's going to be a long Summer and Fall.

Sonya610
06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Great, Montana is getting heavy rains. That will still have to come down the Missouri River. It's going to be a long Summer and Fall.

The Army Corps of Engineers probably ranks just a tiny bit higher than nature if you know what I mean.

Tornadoes are the finger of God, foreseeable huge incredibly expensive natural disasters are managed as much as possible!

RedSidedSPR
06-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Tornadoes are the finger of God, foreseeable huge incredibly expensive natural disasters are managed as much as possible!

trust me, i know:rolleyes:

drache
06-25-2011, 05:18 AM
at least you don't have a lot of large mammals, Steve
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/us/25flood.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha23

infernalis
06-25-2011, 07:07 AM
I keep seeing this on TV and I truly feel for your dilemma Steve.

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Heavy rain came through the area last night. This photo is from out in front of my house looking West. This all rain water. I now have water coming in along the walls in a couple room.
They did some kind of work down there and it looks like the storm sewer isn't draining at all now.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood3.jpg

ConcinusMan
06-25-2011, 10:18 AM
uh oh.

charles parenteau
06-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Jesus Steve I mean Oh my my!!!This is not a joke ....Hope the Ranch will be safe!!

Hornets23
06-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Goodness I hope that wasnt the same rain we got in Illinois today. It was never ending and definitely not what you need!

guidofatherof5
06-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Goodness I hope that wasnt the same rain we got in Illinois today. It was never ending and definitely not what you need!

I think it was the same storm system.
My street has returned to normal but the water table is up more now due to the heavy rain.
I remember when the tornado came through our neighborhood. Within moments it was over and we could start the recovery process.
This high water is going to be with us for 2-3 months. The threat of a levee failure is a second by second threat. It's the waiting that is the hardest.
I don't want to be away from the house at all in the event we have to evacuate.
A flooded basement would kill all my snakes.

Hornets23
06-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Definitely..it would be a lot of pressure to deal with it for such an extended time..

Sonya610
06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
This high water is going to be with us for 2-3 months. The threat of a levee failure is a second by second threat. It's the waiting that is the hardest.
I don't want to be away from the house at all in the event we have to evacuate.
A flooded basement would kill all my snakes.

So you have a place lined up to go if needed? Caring for 300 snakes without tanks/setups for months is just well....errrrmmm. They are tough and resilient though.

Plan as best you can and remember we all live by grace. We can only do so much.

guidofatherof5
06-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm fortunate to know I won't be given anything I can't handle.;)

snakehill
06-26-2011, 10:51 AM
300 snakes!!!!!!:eek:

Sonya610
06-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm fortunate to know I won't be given anything I can't handle.;)

Okay not that it is needed...but...if shelter for 300 plus snakes and a couple of dogs and snapping turtles and birds such is required for a few months...

Hit the google/craigs list for depressed small towns with cheap rural rental properties. If it has a roof and power and is above the floodline it is good!

If the landlord asks say it is you and you and your kid. Eviction takes a few months; credit rating be darned. Sheesh Steve this is worrisome.

snakehill
06-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Damn! I shouldn't complain about New England weather!:eek:

ConcinusMan
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
The problem in this midwest situation is, hot weather is just as likely to worsen the flood situation as pouring rain would.

guidofatherof5
06-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Speak of the devil. 90's over the next couple of days.

ConcinusMan
06-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Good grief. Good luck with all those mosquitoes this summer.

guidofatherof5
06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
More heavy rain moving in right now. This stinks.:mad:

Let me re-phrase this. It's down pouring as I type and has been for the last 20 minutes. Double stinks.

ConcinusMan
06-26-2011, 07:57 PM
More heavy rain moving in right now.

Welcome to my world 9 months out of the year.:rolleyes: Finally did stop though. Nice pleasant weather lately. Not hot, not wet. There still is no riverbank though. It's filled all the way to the brim. All the beaches, parks, and boat launches along the river are under water.:mad:

Hornets23
06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
How are you doing after that last batch of storms last night steve? Every time we get these I think that you likely got them first. Surely it has to let up at some point...

guidofatherof5
06-28-2011, 07:20 AM
More water in the basement but managing it. Heard they are going to release more water from Gavin's Point dam later this week. That means more water against our levee system.
Had a terrible dream(nightmare) last night that I got about 4 feet of water in my basement. Found some of my snakes out after it receded.
Hope it's not a sign of things to come. The young babies in the tanks could swim out but the adults housed in enclosures would surely drowned if the basement filled.
Praying and hoping it never gets that bad.

RedSidedSPR
06-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Hope it doesn't either :(

jitami
06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Still thinking of you Steve....

ConcinusMan
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Dang. Scary stuff Steve. All I have to say is that if it does flood, I hope the power is out. You know what happens when water reaches sockets. No amount of swimming will help that.

RedSidedSPR
06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Oh, crap. Didn't think of that.

guidofatherof5
06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Dang. Scary stuff Steve. All I have to say is that if it does flood, I hope the power is out. You know what happens when water reaches sockets. No amount of swimming will help that.

I'll cut the power before they do. Turn the gas off too.

RedSidedSPR
06-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Good idea lol, that's something i didn't think of

guidofatherof5
07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
The river level in our area dropped by 1 foot over the last week.
It's still 6+ feet above flood stage so life continues on the edge here.
Only 2-3 months more and it will be done.
We're hoping we'll be here to enjoy it.:D

ScimitarX
07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Some good news ^^ lets hope it continues

RedSidedSPR
07-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Good. Praying it'll work out, man.

d_virginiana
07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Good to hear, hope the good luck keeps up!

Mommy2many
07-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Hornets23
07-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Sounds like some progress in the right direction at least..

guidofatherof5
07-17-2011, 06:36 AM
The river dropped another 6 inches but is still over 6 feet above flood stage.
They opened a small stretch on I-29 which included the exit just blocks from my house. This will make travel more convenient for us.
Found some structural problems(caused by ground water pressure) with my house foundation. It's not critical but will have to be addressed at some point. It will probably involve raising the house off the foundation on that side.
Not something I'm looking forward to.
We are in a heat wave and are expecting highs near 100 for the next week.
Factor in the high humidity and the heat index will be around 115 degrees.

RedSidedSPR
07-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Well, could be worse.........

brain
07-17-2011, 11:51 AM
You might just be in for more flooding …
The jet stream, which at this time of year passes over Seattle, has dropped way south into North Calif. This brings us cooler wetter weather. However, what I see is that it makes an abrupt climb north just at Idaho so that could mean more rain coming out of Canada for the upper mid west.
Our rainfall is above average by about 2” and cooler by 6-7 degrees.

ConcinusMan
07-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Not here in clark county WA. It's been cooler than average but we're actually a bit behind on rainfall for the last 60 days or so. A lot of cool cloudy days with precip but it's just not adding up to significant amounts. Until today. It's been pouring hard.

brain
07-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Until today. It's been pouring hard.

That was yersterday. Warm sky in the am then rain untill around 1900.
Clear this am btu light rain now.

Watch the jet stream on the news tonight.

ConcinusMan
07-17-2011, 02:26 PM
That's funny, you say we're getting the rain because the jet stream is aimed at N CA but when we get most of our rain in WA, it's because the jet stream is aimed right at us. Usually when it's aimed at CA, we're dry and they get all the rain. I'll check it out later.

All I know is our cool summer is a good thing. The rivers are still very unusually high. If it got too hot, the high snow pack (up to 200% of normal in some places) would melt too fast and then our riverside parks would be under 10 feet of water instead of two like they are now.

Normally the rivers are quite low in summer so there's lots of beach for recreation. All we have this year is high water and most of the parks are unusable.

guidofatherof5
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
The river has receded a little over a foot. It's still 6 feet above flood stage.
I have less water coming in my basement as a couple rooms are less wet and drying out some.
They are still calling for above flood stage for another couple months.
I just found out that FEMA isn't going to cover any of the damage done to residences.
Farms are covered. Businesses are covered but individual families are out of luck.

RedSidedSPR
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Glad to hear it!!!

Yeah, FEMA sucks. We went through that same kinda crap, when the tornado hit here. "wont cover this, but we cover that. no sir, it's still livable. Yes sir. No sir. Nyaa nyaa blah blah.":D

ConcinusMan
08-05-2011, 05:34 PM
It's a catch-22. If the president declares your county a disaster area, businesses that have lost inventory or have taken other losses (not covered by insurance) that take years to recover from, will qualify for low interest loans to stay in business long enough to recover from the setback. If the president does declare it, well, let's just say somebody gets screwed in any case. There are upsides and downsides to both scenarios - declared disaster or not declared. Someone gets screwed in any case, the only difference is whom.

Right now, keeping businesses in business is a priority. Covering homes from damage is up to the home owners to pay for appropriate insurance. I don't have any choice in the matter since I have a mortgage. I'm fully insured against just about any conceivable thing that could possibly happen (including flood, although it's been literally 13,000 years since this plot flooded) From kitchen fires to angry ex's with gasoline cans and lighters and "slip and fall" lawyers and meteor strikes. I think the only thing that might not be covered is alien invasions. LoL. But believe me, insurance like this isn't cheap.

Once your mortgage is paid off, you can of course drop or downgrade insurance but then if something like this happens, you're on your own unfortunately.

guidofatherof5
08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I guess there has been one benefit to all these flood worries.
The water table is up so high that my lawn which is usually brown due to the Summer heat is still nice and green.
We had 2 weeks of highs in the upper 90's but the grass is still looking good.
We have a weeks worth of lower to mid 80's on tap.
This Wed. is suppose to have a high of only 77. That is sweet.;)

RedSidedSPR
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Wow, it's gonna he COLD the next few days there!!

Oh wait... your in iowa.. that's considered warm...

guidofatherof5
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Stave i have just had a pm from tank he says he has no idea why you should be worried, he says what could possibly be negative about a whole dose of river water, i think you should have a serious word with that chelonian house guest.:rolleyes::D

on a serious note continuing to keep fingers crossed, and attempting to call in any favors that might be owed me upstairs.

I must apologize John. I missed this wonderful post.
Still made me smile even though I saw it much later then it was made.
I will have a talk with my boy.;):D

Plissken
08-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow, it's gonna he COLD the next few days there!!

Oh wait... your in iowa.. that's considered warm...

Being from Iowa as well, that post made me laugh. I'm looking forward to the upcoming weather as well Steve.

guidofatherof5
08-19-2011, 08:07 AM
The Ranch got flooed last night. Dealing with about a foot of water in the snake room. Will be busy for the next few days. All people and snake safe at this point.

RedSidedSPR
08-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Crap. That's not good.:(

I hope it doesn't get worse.

You're in our prayers.

Mommy2many
08-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear you have more sucky news. All that water from the storm last night or are the water tables rising again from flooding upstate?

guidofatherof5
08-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Powers back on. Pumps are working overtime. A lot of water to move.
The real work will begin after the water level has dropped.

infernalis
08-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Have a shop vac?? they suck up water great.

ConcinusMan
08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Our rivers are finally dropping and the parks are almost usable now. Hasn't rained in over a month. Still, it's been a mild and cool summer. It's only been upper 70's to mid-80's. We have yet to hit 90 degrees in well over a year. They say we might hit 89 soon, but that's not quite 90.

BLUESIRTALIS
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear that steve you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

jitami
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
So sorry, Steve. That doesn't sound like fun at all, but I'm glad everyone's safe.

guidofatherof5
08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Pulled the foam pads off most of the floor. They're outside drying. Fans going and windows open. My kids were a big help scooping water soaked bedding out of the big snake enclosures. Furnace and water heater are drying out. One clothes dryer is working. Will wait another 24 hours before I plug the fridge and freezer back in.
Snakes will be without heat and light for a few days while things dry out.
They're calling for more storms this evening.:mad:

reptileparadise
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Good luck Steve! No one deserves something like this :(

PINJOHN
08-19-2011, 01:36 PM
my saying that i'm very sorry to hear this Steve, seems so inadequate, but for what it's worth an awful lot of people will be pulling for you,
does all this extra work get the kids a raise in pocket money :eek: :D

guidofatherof5
08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
No. It means they will eat tonight.:D

RedSidedSPR
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
dang, it got in the enclosures?

guidofatherof5
08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I have 3 enclosures that are large cubes. They sit on the floor and are the pedestals for the large computer box enclosures.

RedSidedSPR
08-19-2011, 02:24 PM
You might want to move those snakes... (or not)

brain
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I knew there was a reason I wanted to live on a hill. So fith the good fight Steve and bail son bail ;)

Spankenstyne
08-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Oh damn. Glad to hear that at least the family & animals are safe, that's the most important thing. Hopefully that's the worst of it and you don't get any more flooding

guidofatherof5
08-20-2011, 10:19 AM
So far, the water heater, freezer, fridge, dryers and washing machine all survived getting wet.
I'm giving my furnace another day to dry out before I attempt running it.
Once things are dry I'll need to vacuum and sanitize the floor.
A lot of laundry to do as the hampers got wet. An inch less of water and they would have been spared.
All is going well.
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.;)

guidofatherof5
08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
My furnace survived. Getting some heat and light back to a few snakes now.

infernalis
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
My furnace survived. Getting some heat and light back to a few snakes now.

That is great news...:D

Mommy2many
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Great News!

drache
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
glad to hear the furnace is up and running
that's a big one

guidofatherof5
08-21-2011, 02:14 PM
All the snakes have light and heat re-established.
They will sleep better tonight. Most are heading to their warm hides.
Clean-up continues.
Much to do.;)

d_virginiana
08-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Good to hear :)

guidofatherof5
08-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I should be able to finished the snake room in the morning. Then the rest of the basement needs work.
It's official, I lost no electrical anything because of this water.
Even my wireless light controller(which got wet) survived. I took them apart and into the oven they went.
With the oven set on "Proof" is just enough heat to dry things but not enough to damage them.
From this ordeal I have learned a few things. I now have all my power strips/surge protectors mounted 2 feet off the floor.
I'm also going to move my shelving up 2 inches for a little more insurance.

RedSidedSPR
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Thats good. Nothing got damaged.

guidofatherof5
08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, nothing electric or electronics.
I still need to cut drywall out and throw away many wet items.
Some I will be glad to get rid of.:D

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 06:06 AM
5" of rain last night. Basement is getting wet again. Pumps are running nonstop.
So far the big snake room is dry.
Looks like I'm on a island. Water surrounding the house.:mad:
Update later.

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Here are a few photos after this mornings down pour.
This first photo is my backyard. Next is the street that runs in front of my residence.
The last photo is the at the end of my driveway.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood4.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood5.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood6.jpg

RedSidedSPR
08-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Holy...

Thats pretty rough, hope it dosnt get back in the house..

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Holy...

Thats pretty rough, hope it dosnt get back in the house..

Water on every floor but the snake room.

Wow, I just check outside. The water is rising. My whole driveway is under water now. Water is pouring into the basement.

RedSidedSPR
08-22-2011, 07:42 AM
CRAP!!!!!

That SUCKS!!:mad:

drache
08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
oh no - pouring - that sounds bad

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Neighbors house next door is flooded on the first level. That house is gone.
Snake room is still dry. The water from the old addition is turning and going into the sump bucket right inside the snake room.
I'm worried about my foundation. This is a lot of pressure on it.

RedSidedSPR
08-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Yikes.. not good.:(

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I guess I have lake front property now.
Kids are getting a little kayak time.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood9.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood7.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/flood8.jpg

d_virginiana
08-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Yikes.. Hope the snake room continues to stay dry, and that the rest of your house doesn't sustain too much damage!

RedSidedSPR
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Ok that's actually kinda funny.:p

Even though it's not.

Kayakin' down the street... Who'da thunk.

ConcinusMan
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
That's just nuts. And in late summer. Crazy!

jitami
08-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Oye, Steve... not what I had hoped to hear. So sorry. Know that you, the kids, and the critters are in my thoughts and prayers.

RedSidedSPR
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Ditto.

brain
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
OMG! :eek: My router died, internet goes down for a few days, I come back and look at this … water everywhere.

And I guess “ALL” the local radix will be bunking at your place. Dry ground and all. Good to hear everything is dry. :)

Mrs N1ntndo
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Holy cow. Ive read some of this before but wowo. that is crazy. Weird question and Im sorry if you have already answered it but why arent you useing sand bags for that. will those help the water not get so close to the house and stuff. Im just wondering.
I saw all these pics and said "da**" on the first ones showing the water at the end of the driveway and then I read down further and saw the other ones and gasped and said "DA**"
Im sorry about all the problems Steve . That sucks about all thats going on. Im glad that everyone is safe though. Good luck and Ill be sending Prayers your way. All of you are in my thoughts.

ConcinusMan
08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Sandbags do no good whatsoever when the water comes from the ground and rises up. The water table is above ground level.

http://watersystemsblkh.wikispaces.com/file/view/water_table.gif

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
It's a ground water problem. No place for the water to go but in our basements.
The pumps can't keep up but for now I only have about ½ inch of water on the floor.
Much better than the 1 foot I had on Friday.

charles parenteau
08-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Fingers are crossed Steve!!

Mommy2many
08-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Fingers crossed here too!

RedSidedSPR
08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm crossing my toes. (that way I can type this):D

guidofatherof5
08-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Here's a photo of the big snake room as it was starting to flood the second time.
The floor is now covered with less then a inch of water.
I'm glad my enclosures are well off the ground.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/ranch_flood_2011.jpg

ScimitarX
08-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Oh dear... sending my thoughts your way.

drache
08-23-2011, 05:49 AM
me too
I hope it didn't get worse over night

guidofatherof5
08-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Water has receded some. Basement has much less water on it. Sump pumps are getting a little break now.
Clean-up will commence again shortly.

jitami
08-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Glad to hear it, Steve. I don't envy the clean-up, but it's better than having to evacuate everyone!

guidofatherof5
08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Water had receded significantly. The back half of my backyard is still flooded but should be clear in a couple of days.
I was having trouble clearing water off the original basement floor and had to purchase a new sump pump.
Within an hour of the new pumps installation the floor was clear of standing water. Now I just need to dry things out again.
The snake room floor should be dry in the next day or so also.
Things are looking up for a change.;)

RedSidedSPR
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Good!

No idea what a sump pump is, but it sounds useful!:D

guidofatherof5
08-23-2011, 07:25 PM
In my case it's a submersible pump that is placed in a deep bucket in the basement floor.
Tubes are placed under the concrete floor that allows the ground water to travel to the bucket.
When the water in the bucket reaches a certain level the pump turns on and pumps the water up a pipe and out of the house.
Works great as long as you have power to the pumps.
Sump pumps- It's a home owner's thing.:D

katach
08-23-2011, 08:20 PM
That is good new! Glad thing are getting better.

RedSidedSPR
08-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Ah I see.. it IS useful!:D

guidofatherof5
08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
The back yard is still partially flood but now there's something else to report about.
The smell of rotting night crawlers. If you don't know the smell count yourself lucky.
One of my dogs decided to cover her scent with the scent of dead worms. GROSS.:eek:

RedSidedSPR
08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't know... i don't think a worm has ever entered are 4 acres before.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Actually i do know!! (just not from outside) It's unforgettable!

Mommy2many
08-24-2011, 03:48 PM
It's so gross! I hate dead worm smell:eek:

guidofatherof5
09-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Flood stage for the Missouri River is 29 feet.
The River is at 29.5 feet. Within the next few days we will be out of the flood alert.
Finally some light at the end of the tunnel and it wasn't an oncoming train.:D

drache
09-06-2011, 08:20 AM
nice to be over the worst of it
not that there are ever any guarantees or anything . . .

infernalis
09-06-2011, 09:03 AM
The River is at 29.5 feet. Within the next few days we will be out of the flood alert.

Good news for once....:D

RedSidedSPR
09-06-2011, 11:52 AM
That's great, Steve!

MasSalvaje
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM

That is great to hear! Is everything OK from the previous flooding that you have had?

-Thomas

guidofatherof5
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
That is great to hear! Is everything OK from the previous flooding that you have had?

-Thomas

Still need to tear some drywall out and other pains but we are getting there.

guidofatherof5
09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
There is a 10mile section of I-29 that was under water during this flood season.
Now that the water has receded they've found the interstate in that section will have to be completely reconstructed. The water wiped everything away.
They think it will be another year before it reopens.

d_virginiana
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Glad to hear that the water is finally going back down!

Mommy2many
09-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry to say, your flooding moved East. We are now faced with more flooding from tropical storm Lee, right after Irene. They still don't have power restored in all areas yet.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Everyone in the flood area should get together with people in Texas and put out there fires. theres a large chunk of Texas that they even turned off there water to there homes so they have to even bathe with bottled water. Its crazy that one place has WAY to much water and the other place has basically none. I hope that soon everything works it self out.

Its rainy here but not bad and it has gotten a lot cooler.had to actully close the windows down cause it is getting that time I guess.

I wish everyone luck that is going through all these disasterous things and I wish them luck on saving as much as they can . Hope everything gets better soon.

guidofatherof5
09-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I spoke with on of our Texas members(tminc) yesterday. He said the fires have destroyed home/ranches in his area. His family is safe at this time but it's hard to watch friends loose everything.
Then the floods in the east are destroying everything in its path.
The bad news is more storms are on tap for the East coast.
Everyone stay safe.

I'm fortunate to report the water has stopped coming in my laundry room.
It's actually dry for the first time in 3 months.
Sump pumps are running less and things are looking better.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Someone from the other site that I go on (not snake related) but anyway a girl I know on there lives in texas ans she lost her family home, her granparents lost there home, some of the friends that live close to her lost there homes and many more were burnt to the foundation. Everyone is ok but they will have to start all over. It saddens me that these thigs happen and theres really nothing that anyone can do to stop it. I hope that it all ends soon.

Im glad to hear that the things are clearing up for you. I live in a 14x70 mobile home so if flooding were to happen here then I guess my home would trully become a "mobile " home. Its scary to think of all these things happening.

infernalis
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
New york's turn.....pictures from local newspaper. ;) My house is safe at the moment.

Much of the Twin Tiers coping with serious flooding | Star-Gazette | stargazette.com (http://www.stargazette.com/article/20110907/NEWS01/109070395/Much-of-the-Twin-Tiers-coping-with-serious-flooding?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE)

http://www.reptard.info/home/street.jpg

http://www.reptard.info/home/truck.jpg

brain
09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
It's actually dry for the first time in 3 months.
And the dry wall worst or on the mend?:confused:

brain
09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
OMG Wayne, and how close does the picture come to your home?

guidofatherof5
09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Not on the mend. Takes money to do that.
It will be a slow proccess now that I'm retired.
Too many other projects ahead of that one.;)

brain
09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
haha I know that, now I have all the time in the world but not the money.

RedSidedSPR
09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Holy crap Wayne... not cool.:eek:

guidofatherof5
09-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Stay safe Wayne.

Looks like there will be some cheap, damp vehicle for sale in the area.:D

I was able to flush all my power equipment out(crank cases and fuel systems) Pulled the spark plugs and pumped the water out.
Didn't lose any equipment. I got lucky.
All it cost me was the time to do it.

infernalis
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
OMG Wayne, and how close does the picture come to your home?

Next county over... the roads leading in and out of our town were closed overnight, the bridges were closed.

jitami
09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Been thinking about you Wayne... stay safe.

infernalis
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Just came in, my back property has been forever changed..

I will walk back and take photos tomorrow.

The banks collapsed, trees in the creek, etc...

One swimming hole has been erased (filled in with rocks) and a new one has formed closer to my camp.

Camp is intact, no damage!! and the bank I seeded held up:cool:

RedSidedSPR
09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
:eek:

Holy crap...

guidofatherof5
09-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Wow. Darn Mother Nature.

guidofatherof5
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
The river is now officially out of flood stage and back in its banks.
Problem is Spring is just a couple seasons away.:D

Mrs N1ntndo
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Well I hope that is stays where it needs to for you for a while so that you can take a break from all that. you should post some pics of you drivway now like you did at the beging of that flood so we can see the difference. Im glad thats its back down Steve.

PINJOHN
09-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I had no idea things were still in such a state of flux, in my naive way i assumed that the flooding was on the retreat and all was improving, so sorry to hear different, ditto for the Texas wild fires i had read about them in the press but had not picked up just how serious they were,all those people losing their homes is truly terrible, not only will i be praying for those people affected but also that these appalling extreme weather events are not repeated in the coming months and years

chris-uk
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Good to know that the waters are lowering, water is so destructive and impossible to hold back for long. Hope for a dry winter in your part of the world.