PDA

View Full Version : My dog may have saved my life while herping

d_virginiana
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
My dog Bear has always been my favorite herping partner. She always finds the snakes/frogs/whatever but never actually chases or attacks them. In fact, she's so helpful that I've pretty much given up herping when I can't take her with me (I find no snakes, so it just ends up being hiking).
Well, on a recent trip we were on one of our favorite paths down near the creek when she started acting funny and circling a wide area along our general path and trying to discourage me from walking there as well.
Turns out that what she was trying to avoid was a nest of newly hatched baby copperheads. Normally I wouldn't say that this was a lifesaving thing, as most of the time the copperheads would just run when we got to close, but the babies were very newly hatched and there were about seven of them in the same area basking, and very well camouflaged; in other words, it would not have been a good idea to walk over them!

Silly little story, but I felt like sharing it :rolleyes:

Chondro788
06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Very cool story, and a good dog!! ;) I bet the little copperheads were cute as ever!!!

guidofatherof5
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Dogs Rule.
Thanks for posting your story.

Enneirda.
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Great dog. :D I got a reptile finder too, though she's not as good a Bear yet.

ConcinusMan
06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
oh man, no pics? I would love to see that.

d_virginiana
06-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, Bear's a good dog :) She found me a much larger copperhead yesterday, but it was under a nice safe rock. We have so many this year, it's crazy. It's no wonder we're the number one state in the country for bites!

BLUESIRTALIS
06-02-2011, 08:46 AM
I've found at least 75 coppers this year. This is a special year for a certain cicada that only emerges like every 13 years and it is one of there favorite snacks.

guidofatherof5
06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Copperheads are a beautiful snake.

BLUESIRTALIS
06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes they are. Have you seen the spotted morph?

guidofatherof5
06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
None. I've yet to see any Copperheads in the wild. Yet.;)

Sonya610
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I've found at least 75 coppers this year. This is a special year for a certain cicada that only emerges like every 13 years and it is one of there favorite snacks.

Wow...good to know! We just had the little 13 year cicada's here, incredibly noisy little guys; sadly they are pretty much gone now.

Must be a real feast for the animals that like to snack on them, when they started departing for the afterlife there were dead cicada's everywhere! Sheesh even ending up in the isles inside the grocery store.

One in my backyard:
http://www.grayanimalrescue.org/garters/cicada.jpg

BLUESIRTALIS
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/data/libraries/35/2289.thumb (http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/showfilepage/2289?offset=2)

Here is a pic of the spotted morph.

ConcinusMan
06-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Freaky

guidofatherof5
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/data/libraries/35/2289.thumb (http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/showfilepage/2289?offset=2)

Here is a pic of the spotted morph.

Very beautiful.

BLUESIRTALIS
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Very beautiful.

I'm wanting to buy a few, but the price is still way up there. When they come down to around a $1000 then i am going to buy a male because it is a codom trait.

d_virginiana
06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm wanting to buy a few, but the price is still way up there. When they come down to around a $1000 then i am going to buy a male because it is a codom trait.

Wow, never thought about owning one. We usually try to stay away from them :rolleyes:
I've seen a few that looked like that spotted one before, and always wondered if they were actually copperheads since they looked so different from the ones we usually see and there were never many of them.

Sonya610
06-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I've seen a few that looked like that spotted one before, and always wondered if they were actually copperheads since they looked so different from the ones we usually see and there were never many of them.

See now you shouldn't have said you have "seen a few". Just waited until you saw another one and you could sell it to Infernalis for a cool grand!

d_virginiana
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
See now you shouldn't have said you have "seen a few". Just waited until you saw another one and you could sell it to Infernalis for a cool grand!

Darnit, missed my chance! :p

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I have a lot of copperheads at my house.. I love 'em but it's not the best thing to have... but i don't kill 'em so i have to keep them.

Awesome dog! mine likes herping with me too.

Sonya610
06-03-2011, 11:42 AM
ONE dog may be great for herping. A pack of dogs is just the opposite. The 2-3 times they have found a snake in the yard (that I know of) the pack of them barking at it and dashing at it means I never get to see what it is (just a glimpse) especially if it is in tall grass.

I am too busy grabbing them and dragging them into the house in case the snake is venomous, when that's done and I race back out to see the snake for myself it is always long gone. : (

RedSidedSPR
06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I rarely take mine out because he gets so exited. But he;s a bird dog ( a britany, formally known as a britany spaniel) so he'll just freeze and point, or stay back a little sometimes... maybe that's because he expects me to shoot them so he can retrieve like when I hunt (rare, just some squirrels and such for his sake)... But often he gets too exited.