PDA

View Full Version : another feeding question ( sorry )

VenomdeBeever
05-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi every1 nice to meet you.

This is my new guy Marley Checkerd garter Thamnophis marcianus. I got it from Critters in allenpark MI. They told me that the rosy red minows they sale there are ok for my snake so thats what ive been feeding him since I got him 3 weeks ago. Hes eaten 3 time the first 2 times was 1 rosy red minnow, the 3rd time was 2 of them. I also have a full skin shed from him too. Well after research I am now worried about my new little guy dying.

What can I do and what would be a good diet of multiple food sources for him. I have 18 Tarantulas too and breed cockroaches and crickets for multiple food sources for my Ts I know not to feed the roaches or crickets to my snake cause they have alot of trouble digesting insects. & what can i do to get his B-1 back up.
Heres a pic of the minnows and a pic of him or her ohya and a youtube vid of me petting him or her.
YouTube - ‪Checkered Garter Snake ( Thamnophis Marcianus ) Marley‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxtebhtU1PA)

VenomdeBeever
06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
wow thanks I can see every1 is so helpfull here :))

RicMartin
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I'd try feeding some F/T silversides, or chopped tilapia, or chopped F/T pinky, or a combination of those. Other people use night crawlers, slugs, etc. Explore around the forum, you will find most of the info you need. Most people here will answer your questions too, just give them time to read your post, they are probably busy feeding something.

Sonya610
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Most everyone seems to agree frozen pinkies (chopped up to bite size for the little guys) are the best nutritionally but it may take a while to convince him of that. Earthworms are also popular, along with silversliders. Seems many think it is best to go light on the fish filet (salmon/tilapia/trout) when they are babies though.

If he has only eaten LIVE fish then getting him to try other stuff may be tricky. Guppies are a live fish that is safe, he may take to active squirmy worms quickly too. If you have access to earthworms (like in the yard, pale pink worms not red ones) try those and see what his reaction is, if he likes them you can mix them with pinky parts and go from there.

guidofatherof5
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Just finished some brain surgery so I apologize for the slow response to your original post.:D

Garter snakes will eat all the rosies you can feed them.
Then they will develop a B1 deficiency and probably not make it.
Supplementing B1 will not stop this process.
Guppies are a much better live fish choice. Fresh salmon/trout/tilapia are also safe but you must be wary of the source.
I live in Iowa so getting "Fresh Fish" is just a marketing tool. I do not buy anything that has been processed or frozen.
Night crawlers and frozen/thawed mice are a good combination of food.
You are right about the varied/balanced diet, I think it is the best.
I will attach a link to the care sheet which may answer some other questions you may have.
Please feel free to post anything not covered and this wonderful forum and its members will be as helpful as possible.

Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)

P.S. Marley is an awesome looking little scrub.;)

Hornets23
06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Welcome! I am only 11 spiders behind you! Brain surgery steve? I must have missed something..

ConcinusMan
06-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Just finished some brain surgery so I apologize for the slow response to your original post.:D

Hmm... must have been self-surgery huh?:p

guidofatherof5
06-01-2011, 08:17 PM
"My brain hurts"(Monty Python).
Took care of it myself.;)