PDA

View Full Version : Shedding.

Bart
05-31-2011, 04:47 AM
Hi.
Eyes of my snake are getting bleary, so I think it's her shedding time. How long after this she'll actually shed? Should I raise humidity already or wait some time?
Thanks in advance. :)

RdubSnider
05-31-2011, 05:51 AM
Personally I don't raise the humidity. Just keep water in like always. My younger snakes go through the whole shed process a bit faster than my adults. Usually 4 to 6 days start to finish and my adults are 5 to 10 days. I have a few that really drag the whole thing out though

guidofatherof5
05-31-2011, 06:05 AM
The eyes will go opaque(blue phase) and then return to normal.
Anytime after they return to normal the snake will shed. Mine shed 1-3 days after the eyes return to normal.
Upping the humidity can't hurt but just having a good water dish should work fine.;)

Randy As suggested by Randy. Each snake has it's own schedule for this process.

Bart
05-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Ok, thank you, guys. :)

ConcinusMan
05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Each snake has it's own schedule for this process.

Tell me about it. Some of my snakes will just get dull, but not cloudy, and then just a little bit cloudy in the eyes for a day, barely noticeable, then clear up, then shed.

Others seem to stay very cloudy, with blue eyes, for a very long time, (a week or two) then clear up suddenly and shed right away. Either way, once you notice the cloudy eyes and dull colors, the shed won't happen until the eyes clear up again. Could happen right away, or it could be several days after the eyes clear, before they actually shed. You'll definitely be able to tell that they have shed. Colors and contrast will be brilliant. They will look like a shiny new bike (er.. snake)

Bart
06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Ok, guys - Kleo just shed with my little help (I was just too curious to let her do it on her own; too slow!). Everything went as you described. Her eyes first got cloudy for 2 days, then cleared yesterday and voilla - the shedding is done! During this process, Kleo ate one European smelt. She was hungry as hell, because she refused to eat for 6 days (smelts I mean; she would eat a living guppie for sure) and I'm too weak and soft to refuse her food, when she clearly wants it.
Anyway, thanks again!

guidofatherof5
06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Glad things went well.