PDA

View Full Version : Summer frog project took an interesting turn...

d_virginiana
05-26-2011, 10:51 PM
My original summer project was to catch and raise a bullfrog tadpole so that I could try the preventative lamisil treatment for chytrid on a frog other than my beloved Trevor. Bullfrogs are tough and harder to stress out than other species, so I was going to do a nice catch-treat-release scenario.

WELL, it now appears that Captain Crunch (that's what I call the tad) is going to be a three-legged frog. So I feel like I can't set him free with good conscience. Oh well... I guess I've got a new frog (almost) :o

guidofatherof5
05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
You could change his name to Tripod.:D

d_virginiana
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Haha, I may actually end up changing it to something more fitting. I was just informed by one of my friends that captain crunch has all his appendages :rolleyes: For some reason I thought he had a peg leg!

ConcinusMan
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but bullfrog tadpoles are almost always 3-legged at some point. The front legs don't grow like the back legs do. Unlike the back legs, the front legs grow to full size hidden beneath the skin, then suddenly break through. They usually do this one at a time and so you end up with a 3 legged tadpole for a while until the fourth leg breaks the skin.

It's perfectly normal for your bullfrog tadpole to have only 3 legs. I'm pretty sure the other front leg is there, it just hasn't broke through the skin yet. Sometimes you can even see the leg moving around underneath the skin. Take the tadpole out of the water momentarily and turn it upside down in your hand. You should be able to see that missing leg moving beneath the skin.

ConcinusMan
05-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Haha, I may actually end up changing it to something more fitting. I was just informed by one of my friends that captain crunch has all his appendages :rolleyes: For some reason I thought he had a peg leg!

Yup. Just confirmed it. Capt. Crunch does have all of his appendages. Also, he doesn't always wear blue. For special occasions, he wears red. :p

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ebSafl1ydTw/Tbsxh_bMcNI/AAAAAAAACJQ/N994F5aALo0/s1600/RoyalWedding.jpg

Didymus20X6
05-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Captain Crunch is a naval officer, not a pirate, so he does indeed have all his appendages.

ConcinusMan
05-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Thread derailed and careening toward the abyss...

It took years for me to acquire the skill to do that. Yup. I still got it.:p

d_virginiana
05-28-2011, 08:29 PM
I didn't know that! I knew that one arm typically popped out before the other, but I didn't know that they came out almost fully grown. I still can't see anything on the one side, but I'm probably just not being observant enough. I'm glad he'll probably end up being normal, but if he ends up as a mutant I'll post pictures.:D

Also, Captain Crunch has recently joined the Quaker Oatmeal guy in my club of food mascots I once thought were pirates due to their hats.

Thread derailed and careening toward the abyss...

It took years for me to acquire the skill to do that. Yup. I still got it.:p

It's a talent.