PDA

View Full Version : Worm Questions

Plissken
05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
So I have two questions on worms. The first one is, is de-worming a snake that is possibly gravid overly dangerous? Also, can worms pass from mother to baby during development and birth? Thanks. :)

infernalis
05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I would hold off on any deworming, is this precautionary or does she have a known case of worms?

Even though garters deliver live young, they do gestate in a thin membrane shell.

I don't think I can recall of anyone mentioning a transfer of parasites like this to a litter of babies.

Plissken
05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks, I'll just wait to make sure. I just didnt want to potentially have a litter of babies with worms.

RedSidedSPR
05-24-2011, 12:05 PM
You ready for a whole litter?!:D:eek: You just got your first snake!!

Plissken
05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
yeah, know what you mean but i dont really have much choice if she is already gravid. i just wanted to take some precausions, just in case.:)

guidofatherof5
05-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Time to search for neonate care before they get here. Enclosure, heat, water, food.
Here's a video of a birthing.

y6WeE_EklAw

Sonya610
05-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Time to search for neonate care before they get here. Enclosure, heat, water, food. Here's a video of a birthing.

Darn right. If you got the cash find a good herp vet that can sex the animal and possibly tell you if the animal is gravid.

And if "Mama" isn't eating you had best be losing sleep cause you were out finding suitable food that she WILL eat!

ConcinusMan
06-02-2011, 02:30 AM
It's perfectly normal for gravid snakes to refuse food for the last 3-5 weeks of pregnancy. Never deworm a gravid snake. If it's done right, it's hard on the snake so you shouldn't do it unless the snake is in good conditon. After medicating, stools will generally be very watery she will get dehydrated temporarily no matter what you do.

I would hold off on deworming until the babies are born, and mother has been feeding well for at least a month afterward to rebuild her reserves. The membranes that the babies gestate in protect them from most pathogens (Like an immune shield) and the only way to get worms is to swallow eggs or in the case of some worms, a prey item (intermediate host) that is infected with the larval worm. Babies don't get worms from their mother, they get them from the environment. (contaminated water, food)

Just remove the babies as soon as they are born and avoid cross-contaminating their food/water/enclosure with the mother's fecal matter and they will be worm-free.

And like I said, I would wait until she's been eating well for a while after the babies are born, before you try deworming her. Let her regain some body mass first and be very careful about the dosage. It's a narrow margin of error between too little and too much. Too much can kill her, too little will cause worms to become resistant and if that happens, only a dosage that would kill or harm the snake would be effective against the resistant worms.

I find that most garters in good overall health can handle a dose slightly higher than recommended, particularly if you give it with a food item that digests easily and passes quickly. Worms or fish with high water content is best. Worms absorb the meds easily. The idea is that the snake can't absorb it easily so the quicker it goes through, the better. Don't give the meds with a food item that's going to take a long time to digest.;)

Plissken
06-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Well she is eating very well right now. A few worms two or three times a week. I'm hoping to get her on pinkies soon. I'm just going to hold off on any meds till I can be confident she isn't gravid, or till after she has her litter. Thank you for all the tips and info though.