PDA

View Full Version : Humidity?

RedSidedSPR
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
My hydrometer says it's 66%. Is this OK? Seems kinda high...

ConcinusMan
05-12-2011, 12:29 PM
40-70 percent is fine. Just see to it that the substrate stays clean and dry and that the enclosure is well ventilated. Garters really aren't all that picky when it comes to humidity. You only really start to see problems if the humidity is constantly above 85 or so, or if it's constantly below 40.

infernalis
05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
My hydrometer says it's 66%. Is this OK? Seems kinda high...

Should be just fine.

Remember these snakes are usually found in swampy areas, under rocks & logs, etc.

Unless your cage stays sopping wet for a long period of time, the snake is in no danger.

RedSidedSPR
05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Cool, thanks.

Stefan-A
05-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Just to be a wise-***: If your hydrometer says 66%, you may be housing your snake in hexane. ;)

Hydrometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrometer)
Hygrometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer)

;)

infernalis
05-12-2011, 04:01 PM
If you must be one Stefan, It's best to be a wise one, rather than a dumb one. :)

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 10:07 AM
So how can i lower it?? It gets almost 70.... Would like to lower it.

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 11:49 AM
If you must be one Stefan, It's best to be a wise one, rather than a dumb one. :)

Be careful. It is quite possible to be both at the same time. I do so quite frequently.

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Sigh... that doesn't really answer my question..:D

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Well, when you don't have a real answer, baffle them with bull spit. Makes you seem smarter.:p Even if you don't really know what the heck you're talking about, it's always best to seem like you do. But seriously, 66 percent isn't that high. It's good that you can maintain at least 50 percent even with heat sources on. Quite often it's a challenge to keep it from going too low. They're not desert animals after all.

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 01:07 PM
OK, if you'd rather me embarrass the crap out you...

Anyway, you said 70 is as high as you can get... and it reaches that occasionally. This makes it so I can't put anything damp in, can't mist etc.
So I'd like to know if there's anything I can do. 'Cause I can't think of anything.

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I pretty much answered this in the other thread. Perhaps misting isn't necessary. I use overhead basking bulb (just a standard 60 watt household flood lamp) and it tends to dry the air and substrate very fast and drop the humidity below 50 percent. That's why I mist.

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I pretty much answered this in the other thread. Perhaps misting isn't necessary. I use overhead basking bulb (just a standard 60 watt household flood lamp) and it tends to dry the air and substrate very fast and drop the humidity below 50 percent. That's why I mist.

I use a a standard 60 watt household flood lamp, but my humidity is still high 60's-70. But if it's that high misting shouldn't be needed, right?

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Why is it so high? Do you have the water basin as far from the heat as possible? Is it oversized? Is the hydrometer close to it and being influenced by evaporating water? Is their adequate air exchange? Is the humidity in your house high? Just things you need to ask yourself. I don't really need you to answer.

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Why is it so high? Do you have the water basin as far from the heat as possible? Is it oversized? Is the hydrometer close to it and being influenced by evaporating water? Is their adequate air exchange? Is the humidity in your house high? Just things you need to ask yourself. I don't really need you to answer.

Water is on opposite side. Small-ish bowl. (10gal tank) Hydrometer is in middle of cage, close to heat than water. Screen lid, air is fine. Gasp! MY BROTHERS FISH TANK. darn him:mad:.

I don't really need you to answer.

Tough rocks.

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 01:40 PM
No I don't think rocks would cause high humidity. Tough ones or soft ones.

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 01:52 PM
No I don't think rocks would cause high humidity. Tough ones or soft ones.

Maybe you're right... hmmm. what else could it be?

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Maybe it's because you can't keep your nose out of the tank and you're steaming it up with your hot breath.:p

RedSidedSPR
05-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Maybe it's because you can't keep your nose out of the tank and you're steaming it up with your hot breath.:p

OF COURSE!! You're so freakin' smart:D

ConcinusMan
05-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I know. Sometimes I scare myself.:p