PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Iowa

Plissken
05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone, new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. Name's Nick, living in central Iowa. I'm new to the idea of owning a garter snake, this forum has been great for getting information. I don't current own a snake yet, I've been trying to find one around my area in parks and around water but with no luck. However, I've been reading a lot of threads here on herping and I'm not going to give up. I'll welcome any location suggestions from anyone in the area ;)

Stefan-A
05-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Welcome aboard.

Spankenstyne
05-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Didymus20X6
05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
By your username and choice of hobby, I'm gonna guess that this is you:

http://i51.tinypic.com/zx4rb7.jpg

infernalis
05-10-2011, 12:59 AM
I'll welcome any location suggestions from anyone in the area ;)

Steve's house......:cool:

http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

PINJOHN
05-10-2011, 03:34 AM
welcome from breezy sunny Liverpool, do we call you snake or what? :D:rolleyes:

guidofatherof5
05-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Central Iowa. I have a good friend who lives in Des Moines.
He has some great captive bred garters and I sure he would make you a great deal.
Then there is Jeff B.(Iowa City)
Jeff is one of the top breeders on the country and would be glad to work with you.
Not to mention all the other awesome breeders throughout the U.S.;)
Where in Central Iowa are you? I'm in Council Bluffs.;)

Here's a link to the care sheet which is always a good place to gather info. before you get a snake.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)

BLUESIRTALIS
05-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Plissken
05-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm currently living in Ames, about 40min north of Des Moines. I've been reading and re-reading that sheet for a while now, great info. That's great that there are some reputable breeders near by, however, I'd really like to try and find a snake myself. I'll let you know if I reconsider to get some contact information.

guidofatherof5
05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
In the long run a captive bred snake is your best bet. I understand your feeling about catching your own snake but they can be much more costly than a captive bred snake.
Parasites and other unknown problems can end up costing a lot.
Not to mention the problem taking wild snakes can cause to population.
Just something to think about.

If you every get to C.B. give me a call and stop by to take a look at some of my snakes.
I'm sure I could help you out with a pair.;)

Mommy2many
05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
If you every get to C.B. give me a call and stop by to take a look at some of my snakes.
I'm sure I could help you out with a pair.;)

Steve is understating his capabilities here. Note: T. Radix Ranch. Just go West, it must have billboards and such by now.:D

Welcome to the forum and from what I hear, you couldn't live in a better state for garters (except Connecticut):D

Plissken
05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
unfortunately I am heading west this week but will be unable to stop. Heading to montana for an engineering competition. Later this summer I'll be heading to colorado for hiking and climbing, I may be able to stop on the way back. :-)

guidofatherof5
05-10-2011, 07:50 PM
unfortunately I am heading west this week but will be unable to stop. Heading to montana for an engineering competition. Later this summer I'll be heading to colorado for hiking and climbing, I may be able to stop on the way back. :-)

Sounds like a plan. Just let me know.;)

Good luck on your competition.

Millinex
05-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Small world small world. I grew up in Moville, and I now live in Colorado Springs.

drache
05-11-2011, 04:35 AM
welcome to the forum, Nick

RdubSnider
05-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome. Good luck finding the snake you want

Odie
05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Nick :)