PDA

View Full Version : Will Someone Buy These

Ameivaboy
05-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Since i just ordered some snakes and i cant : (

kingsnake.com Classifieds (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=6&de=497299)

here's the ad with the pix kingsnake.com Classifieds (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=6&de=497029)

Cazador
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Holy cow! If someone doesn't reply soon, I'll have to move out of my bedroom in order to free up more space for them ;). If they were free infernalis I probably would :D.

adamanteus
05-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I bet shipping is a little more than $20 to the UK! Why am I on this side of the Atlantic?

drache
05-02-2007, 05:31 PM
ouch
I wish I hadn't seen that
I must be steadfast

KITKAT
05-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Let's see... I wanted something that was not sirtalis spp... LOL!

I have contacted him.

We'll see what develops.

Ameivaboy
05-02-2007, 08:23 PM
lol, hope it works out for ya

sschind
05-02-2007, 08:58 PM
KITKAT

You've beat me to them but if you want to divy up a few babies let me know. I wonder how he plans on shipping for only $20.00 though. The only way I know that would be that cheap would be USPS and that's a no no.

Cazador
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Steve,
I've received but never shipped snakes through the USPS and didn't know it was a problem. Do you know any more details about shipping snakes with the USPS?

Rick

sschind
05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I've tried to find the specific page where it states it but it is a fact that it is against the law to send snakes through the postal service. The accept lizards but not snakes, I think turtles are a no no as well. And I just saw that poisonous spiders are also non mailable. That pretty mauch makes everyone sellin T's on line a law breaker as every single tarantula order I have ever gotten has come USPS. Check out his link if it works.

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

Cazador
05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Interesting Steve. Thanks for setting the record straight. Section 525.3 :rolleyes: said that all snakes, turtles, & poisonous (I'm sure they mean venomous :D) spiders are non-mailable. Funny though, I always call ahead when I'm expecting a package of snakes through USPS and tell them not to put my snakes on the delivery truck, so I can go down there and pick them up in person :o.

Rick

Ameivaboy
05-03-2007, 12:43 AM
well technically you're not supposed to send snakes throguh any major carrier including usps,fed ex and UPS the latter 2 being the most commonly used methods, against the rules yes, but am i thankful people break the rules........yes, i wouldnt have a number of animals (and neither would a lot of reptile keepers in the US) if everyone followed the guidelines set forth by these companies, also to ship any reptile you are "supposed" to be certifified by fed ex if that is the carrier you are using

KITKAT
05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
KITKAT

You've beat me to them but if you want to divy up a few babies let me know. I wonder how he plans on shipping for only $20.00 though. The only way I know that would be that cheap would be USPS and that's a no no.

Apparently someone beat us both. The ad has been withdrawn, and he did not reply to me.:( :mad: :rolleyes:

RATS!

ssssnakeluvr
05-03-2007, 10:34 AM
if anyone is interested...I can get wandering garters...lots of them around here!!

KITKAT
05-03-2007, 10:47 AM
if anyone is interested...I can get wandering garters...lots of them around here!!

I am VERY interested. Remind me what state you're in?

Do you ever find melanistics?:rolleyes:

ssssnakeluvr
05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
well......I'm in utah....Salt Lake City....just like it says below my avatar...lol!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

KITKAT
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
well......I'm in utah....Salt Lake City....just like it says below my avatar...lol!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

HA! You can tell I was in a hurry!

ssssnakeluvr
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
hehehe....yea...been there, done that myself!!! :rolleyes:

sschind
05-03-2007, 10:30 PM
well technically you're not supposed to send snakes throguh any major carrier including usps,fed ex and UPS the latter 2 being the most commonly used methods, against the rules yes, but am i thankful people break the rules........yes, i wouldnt have a number of animals (and neither would a lot of reptile keepers in the US) if everyone followed the guidelines set forth by these companies, also to ship any reptile you are "supposed" to be certifified by fed ex if that is the carrier you are using

The difference is that in sending snakes through fed ex, ups etc. you are violating their terms but you are not breaking any laws. Sending snakes through USPS is against the law and can get you fined.

As to Ricks last comment, I'm not sure that most postal employees are even aware it is not allowed.

MoJo
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
For what it's worth it is not that hard to get certified by fed ex to ship live reptiles. I am in the process myself and should be finished with it soon.

Joanna

KITKAT
05-04-2007, 08:05 PM
For what it's worth it is not that hard to get certified by fed ex to ship live reptiles. I am in the process myself and should be finished with it soon.

Joanna

Can you tell us the basics that are involved?

MoJo
05-04-2007, 08:50 PM
The first thing to do is set up an account with Fedex and try to find out who your rep is! I have heard this can be the most difficult part and to be honest I didn't bother to try and find out who it was!

The next step is to prepare a "test box" to send to the test packaging department. Fill out the form below.

http://fedex.com/us/services/pdf/PKG_Services_Application.pdf?link=4

The test box should be lined with Styrofoam panels. The deli cup needs to have the lid taped on. The box also must be labeled live harmless reptiles. I have a pdf file with the instructions but it is too large to load here.

Send that box inside of an outerbox along with the application to fed ex. They will pay for this and ship the box back to you . They will also forward a copy of the test results to your fed ex rep. You then need to get in touch with them to get the legal paperwork.

You are basically signing away your rights to claim losses or a refund if they are late with the shipment. You also agree that you are shipping business to business. Most people say that they are shipping to home businesses.

I have sent back my paperwork and am just waiting for my rep to get back to me with the final "You are fed ex certified'.

If this is clear as mud there are at least 2 other forms that I know of with threads on how to get certified. I didn't think it would be right to post a link to other reptile sites but if you want the info let me know.

Joanna

Cazador
05-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Joanna,

Of course, advertisements or SPAM is out of bounds, but I hope nobody is ever reluctant to post a link to another site as long as it adds clarity to an ongoing discussion. Since we're all pretty geared toward helping one another out on this forum, your suggestion and knowledge seem to fit perfectly. Best,

Rick

MoJo
05-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks Rick,

Every board has different feelings about links and I can't keep it all straight!

Here are 2 short threads you might find useful.

http://www.cornsnakesource.com/forum/serpentopia/2435-fedex-certified.html

http://www.cornsnakesource.com/forum/cornsnake-discussions/1222-fed-ex-test-package.html

Fauna Classifieds has a whole shipping section with multiple threads on how to get certified, fill out the forms and who to contact. What I found most useful from reading these is that I would be more knowledgeable about what the process is and I could walk my rep through it! There is also a good discussion on the pros and cons of going the "legal" route vs. just shipping at Cornsnakes.com.

If anyone needs help I would be more than happy to do what I can. Just PM or email me!

Joanna