PDA

View Full Version : Tornado

RedSidedSPR
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
You may have noticed my absence... Don't answer that. Here's why:

You may have read about the tornado in NC. We just happened to be in the middle of it. Saturday evening, we saw the tornado warning, and got prepared. (looking back, we obviously should have been a lot more prepared) 20 minutes later the sky got dark, the rain was going sideways, and it suddenly got loud. We didn't have a basement so we just waited it out in the hallway (again, had no idea the stuff going on outside was this bad). The noise stopped and my dads friend called him and asked if we were alright, and told us it was past. We went to the window (shattered) and... Whoa. The first thing we saw was the HUGE tree in the back uprooted and on its side. Kinda scary because if it had fallen 90degrees more toward the house... yikes. One tree crushed our land lords barn.
The front yard was no better. The woods in the back... no longer woods. So far I've counted over 100 trees down.
We lost power for two days. That includes our wireless, so no computer until today. Also no heat lamp for my snake. Hopefully didn't make him think it's winter.
This'll be expensive, but... not for us. That's the beauty of renting:D
There were four huge trees that could have DESTROYED the house, but by some miracle, the house was UNTOUCHED!!! (except for some shingles).
The huge tree in the back missed the cars by inches.

These pics only show a fraction of of the damage.

One of the big trees in the front
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/CameraPics082.jpg

Another in the front
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/CameraPics090.jpg

The driveway... kinda cool.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/CameraPics093.jpg

This used to be the woods...
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/CameraPics147.jpg

We were a lot better off than the neighborhood behind us, though. 12 were killed. One house completely gone. So was the Lowes store.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/CameraPics253.jpg

Sonya610
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow...you were at ground zero! Glad to hear your family made it though okay. Yes I read about the Lowe's store.

We had a few deaths around here a week ago during the storms. I live in a rural area like you do and there is an old cemetery 1/4 mile down the road, 5 small kids from one family killed by "cyclone" circa 1868 which always makes me realize it can happen here too.

Once again glad you and all of yours were spared. Good thing yall didn't realize how bad it was, the sound of a "train coming" without real protection has to be one of the most terrifying moments a person can go through.

guidofatherof5
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Glad your family is safe.
Our prayers to everyone.

Mommy2many
04-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Those are some scary pictures. I am so happy you are all ok. In times like those, we are at Mother Nature's mercy.

infernalis
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
wow!! Glad you are OK.

we got hit by some of the tail winds here..

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/garter-snake-lounge/1293-its-oh-so-quiet-shh-shh-783.html#post157452 the post I just made before reading this.

sirtalis01
04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow glad u n ur love ones r ok...the pix reminded me when we got hit a few months a go...

PINJOHN
04-19-2011, 02:43 AM
WOW you were lucky and then some, feel so sorry for those folk's standing in front of whats left of their home, life these days seems to be just a continuous report of extreme natural events from all over the world.

drache
04-19-2011, 04:29 AM
glad to hear you and yours are okay
scary stuff

BLUESIRTALIS
04-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Has anyone talked to Scott Felzer he is near that same area i think.

guidofatherof5
04-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Has anyone talked to Scott Felzer he is near that same area i think.

I'll try to give him a call. See if he can check-in.

Called and left a voice mail.

RedSidedSPR
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
The one tree that DIDN'T fall was the one that would destroy the house. If that tree had fallen, I wouldn't be telling you this right now.

Scott is only a few miles from where we live... probably a good idea to contact him. Thanks, Steve.

I'll post more pictures later. I have pics of houses lifted off their foundation.

Scott F
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

It was a scary time on Saturday, I could literally hear the tornado (sounds like a train) and it hit very close to my place. I was on a street in Raleigh doing some work the week b4 where and the tornado hit there; it totally decimated an (luckily) empty house, along with varying damage to other homes on that street. These areas look like war zones and other areas came out unscathed.

Scott

infernalis
04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Glad your place was spared Scott

BLUESIRTALIS
04-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Glad to hear everything is ok scott.

RedSidedSPR
04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi all,

It was a scary time on Saturday, I could literally hear the tornado (sounds like a train) and it hit very close to my place. I was on a street in Raleigh doing some work the week b4 where and the tornado hit there; it totally decimated an (luckily) empty house, along with varying damage to other homes on that street. These areas look like war zones and other areas came out unscathed.

Scott

Glad your safe.
I saw the the house your referring to. It happens to be the neighborhood behind our house. The whole neighborhood is trashed, while the one leading to our house is UNTOUCHED. I have pics of those, I'll upload them soon.

When ya gonna have some snakes available?:D Lookin' forward to buying one from you.

drache
04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
glad to hear you're okay, Scott

RicMartin
04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Good to hear that RedsidedSPR & Scott & their loved ones are OK.
Very scary stuff.

andycul
04-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear you are all OK. I am glad we don't get weather like that in Scotland. Can't even begin to imagine how scary it must be to go through something like that.

RedSidedSPR
04-21-2011, 01:20 PM
It wasn't so bad this time, cause we didn't know it was this bad 'till we looked out the window.

ConcinusMan
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Holy crud. You're lucky to be alive.

gregmonsta
05-05-2011, 04:17 AM
What a stroke of luck!!! Glad you made it unscathed.