PDA

View Full Version : Seperate feeding container?

RedSidedSPR
04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I've read that when you feed a snake you should feed him somewhere out of the tank, (even if it's the bath tub) for a number of reasons.
At first I thought it was because you don't want him biting you every time you put your hand in thinking your food. I wasn't worried about that (even if he did bite me), so I didn't bother. I just put his fish in his water bowl, and and the worms wherever was convenient.

But now I'm thinking about getting a second snake, and it seems like it might be easier to feed two snakes if I'm feeding them separately.

My biggest concern is:
My snake, ever since I caught him, has been jumpy and gets kind of stressed when I take him out of his cage. I worked to the point where he is okay with me picking him up, and he'll eat put of my hand. He is no longer scared of me, but probably wouldn't eat if I had just picked him up and put him somewhere else.

I know it's not necessary, but would that be the best option? And if so, how can I get him to eat like that?

mb90078
04-09-2011, 12:13 PM
If your main concern is separating the two snakes, maybe you just move the other one to the feeding tank and leave that one it its normal tank? That of course assumes that the second snake would be calmer than the one you currently have.

infernalis
04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a few that won't eat if I move them first.

RedSidedSPR
04-11-2011, 09:58 AM
So it's okay to feed one in the tank and the other somewhere else?

Another concern (not a big concern) is the substrate that gets stuck on his food. Mostly his worms. I'm using a bedding that's supposedly safe (a mix of bark, coconut, and sand... something like that) , but it's still probably not the best thing for him.

guidofatherof5
04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
So it's okay to feed one in the tank and the other somewhere else?

Another concern (not a big concern) is the substrate that gets stuck on his food. Mostly his worms. I'm using a bedding that's supposedly safe (a mix of bark, coconut, and sand... something like that) , but it's still probably not the best thing for him.

Many substrates can cause a blockage. If what you are using has sand in it I wouldn't feed in that enclosure.
I sometimes have troubled eaters that refuse to eat if taken out of their home. They get put in a container with the food.
Then I cover it with a towel or something. Left alone with the food and no other distraction most will eat.
After awhile they get used to the routine.
Best of luck.

RedSidedSPR
04-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I use "jungle bed" and stuff like it (not the same thing every time). I was buying the bedding I had been using before when I saw this. It was pretty much the same thing, but it said it was good for anoles, frogs, garter snakes. I didn't trust them to really know what their talking about, but I thought "heck, I'll just get this". It was pretty much the same thing I had been getting.
Petsmart.com - Reptile: Substrate & Bedding: T-Rex® Jungle Bed® Premium Blend Forest Substrate (http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=2752443)

It contains: Forest Bed, Coconut Bark and Calci-Sand.

Is sand bad for them? I never knew that... I just knew Aspen wasn't safe. I assumed most bedding shouldn't be ingested, but I can't help that very much, so I just get the safest stuff I can find... I guess I was wrong.

What do you use/recommend?

I'll try the towel thing. I haven't really tried to get him to eat anywhere else, but I will just to see how willing he is after a few times.

kibakiba
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Aspen is fine. I used to use aspen for my snakes. They loved it. Only downsides are it sticks to food easily, molds quickly and is really expensive (at least where I go... 15 dollars a gallon)

I've always stayed away from sand, it can cause problems, especially if it gets on food. Carefresh is cream and comes in many colours, keeps odor down, and they make tunnels in it and they stay there. It's good stuff.

ConcinusMan
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't seem to have much of a problem feeding most of my snakes off of hemostats, right in their tank. I just keep the pieces small enough so that they don't go dragging it though substrate. Seems to work out just fine for me.

kibakiba
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Same here, only larger thing is pinkies... Those get dragged, smacked against things and all of that but they don't pick up substrate like sticky worms do.

RedSidedSPR
04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
I read somewhere that aspen can kill garters if they swallow it, so I stopped.

Worms are the only food-on-substrate problem. They get alot of substrate on them sometimes.

Carefresh.... I just don't like it..

ConcinusMan
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Just about any wood, corn cob, or anything that swells in water can cause impaction. There are a few that won't hurt such as loose coconut fiber (fine stuff) and a little carefresh probably wont' hurt either. Still, I don't care if it's "safe" or not, they don't need to be swallowing any substrate. Worms aren't the only problem either. Even if your food item isn't particularly sticky, the eating habits of some snakes can still have them swallowing substrate.

RedSidedSPR
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
That's exactly what I thought. Don't care if it's "safe", still don't want 'em swallowing it.

The fish I feed him never leave the water bowl, he eats 'em so fast, so they're not really a problem.

Mostly I just want to find the best possible substrate, and the best feeding technique.

BLUESIRTALIS
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I usually feed mine in plastic shoe box with a locking lid. No chance of swallowing substrate then. If the snake is a shy feeder you can put the shoe box in a dark place and they will usually eat.

RedSidedSPR
04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm sure I can get him to eat in something else (I have the perfect thing). I'll try the towl/dark room thing. Mostly now I just want to get the best substrate.
Thanks for your help on the feeding help. I'll let you know if it works.

Aspen is fine. I used to use aspen for my snakes. They loved it. Only downsides are it sticks to food easily, molds quickly and is really expensive (at least where I go... 15 dollars a gallon)

I've always stayed away from sand, it can cause problems, especially if it gets on food. Carefresh is cream and comes in many colours, keeps odor down, and they make tunnels in it and they stay there. It's good stuff.

I read aspen can really hurt them (more that others). Is this true? Cause I like aspen too... but yeah, it is expensive...

BLUESIRTALIS
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I have used aspen for about twelve years and never lost a snake do to impaction. To me aspen is the best substrate. You don't want to use it with snakes that need high humidity though. Just be smart don't ever throw food in the cage and walk away. My garters eat right out of my hands so i make sure they don't swallow bedding.

guidofatherof5
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I use compressed aspen pellets and have had great success with it.
Even with the large number of snakes I have I don't have problems with odor and it's easy to spot areas that need removed.
I also hand feed about 95% of all my snakes and ingesting substrate hasn't been an issue.
Gentle Touch Products - All Natural Pet Litter and Bedding (http://www.gentletouchproducts.com/index.html)

RedSidedSPR
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
So it's safe? Good to know. I'll probably end up getting that. Another reason I got what I have now is the fact that it looks more natural... but that dosnt matter.
Not liking the "gentle touch" stuff...