PDA

View Full Version : Evaluation of fan site

GarterFan
04-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this site and I'm the webmaster of gartersnake.org

If anyone has some corrections to the site, please feel free to comment on this thread.

All the best

Anders

Odie
04-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Anders :)

infernalis
04-06-2011, 01:37 AM
greetings.. I see you have the same video clip as I have on youtube.

I will look it all over more closely when I can.

guidofatherof5
04-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Nice to have you here.

RicMartin
04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Welcome!

MasSalvaje
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Welcome!

Diet Depending on geographic location, prey availability and sub-species in question, the diet of garter snakes is quite varied. However, they do prefer frogs (anurans, tail-less amphibians) to such an extent that it is notable. However they also eat eathworms, and fish. The chart below depicts data from an article by Tuttle & Gregory (2009)1 where the stomach content of 548 garter snakes was investigated. The investigation took place in Alberta, Northern Canada, in a period from 1995-2006, and the only snake investigated was Thamnophis radix (Plains garter snake). Although garter snakes in southern states may have a more varied diet, frogs are very popular among garter snakes, especially in Canada, where there are many frogs. In captivity, garter snakes are mostly fed with rodents, which works out fine. For garter snakes hairless mice are preferred.
Although you have good information here and the sources to back it up, I think it could be fleshed out a bit. For example you could add something about them being able to eat such a wide range of prey and how that has impacted the success they have had in all types of habitat.

This is just my vagrans bias talking but there are some garters, like vagrans in parts of their range, that are more rodent and even bird eaters than we like to give them credit for. I know you mentioned that they do vary, it might help to give examples.

That said for a general overview of Thamnophis, I think you did pretty well.

-Thomas

GarterFan
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks. It is a good point. I'll implement it.

PINJOHN
04-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi Anders from liverpool just had a quick look at your sight before i rush out to work, i thought it was great, i have watched the video about the eastern s which i throughly enjoyed, it is obvious that you have put a l lot of hard work in to this site, i look forward to exploring the rest when i get home, also you could not have picked a better place to get both help and encouragement from, lots of really nice people :)