PDA

View Full Version : Hello forum goers!

ATS
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I am new to this site and new to wanting a snake. I became interested in obtaining a few snakes for a while now and at first I was thinking of a Ball Python or 2 because they seemed to the "cool" snakes to get. But after all the you tube videos I've seen on them they just look BORING!:(

That is why I'm now 100% certain that I want to try and obtain a few different morphs of Garter Snakes!:D I'm hopefully going to try to get some this summer from breeders, not the wild (Minnesota doesn't have the greatest variety of snakes). So any useful info for a first time snake owner like me would be great!:)

infernalis
04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

nitrogen15
04-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the forums! I tip my hat to your responsibility doing research before getting the snake.

In my limited experience watching pythons and boas for friends, they're attractive and tame. However, they grow inconveniently large and aren't nearly as perky as garters. Garters have loads of personality and a lot of energy.

PINJOHN
04-01-2011, 02:30 AM
welcome to the site and a big Hi from sunny Liverpool:)

drache
04-01-2011, 04:03 AM
welcome to the forum - you've come to the right place
not only can you learn about garter care: Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)
also - the babies have already started coming, and you'll be able to obtain quality captive bred animals from breeders on this forum

guidofatherof5
04-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Nice to have you on the forum.

andycul
04-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Hi from Scotland. I don't have any snakes either at the moment but like me I'm sure you will have a great time here :D

BLUESIRTALIS
04-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the forum! A garter snake is a great choice.

Odie
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi, from Oregon, ATS :)

NikkiSixx
04-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello there from utah!!! :-)

ATS
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you all for replying. There are a lot of amazing looking Garter snakes that I've seen but I think the first ones that I'll try and obtain will be some Eastern Blacknecks.:D Are these Garters any fun?

guidofatherof5
04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
All garter snakes are fun but I think some members have had trouble converting blacknecks over to pinkies or something like that.
Correct me if I'm wrong.;)

ATS
04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
All garter snakes are fun but I think some members have had trouble converting blacknecks over to pinkies or something like that.
Correct me if I'm wrong.;)

So would you suggest that I try and get a Garter snake that eats pinkies? I know that it's healthier for most snakes to eat rodents so would you suggest mice pinkies or African soft fur rat pinkies? Or otherwise does it not matter that much if they eat pinkies or not?

guidofatherof5
04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Let's wait and see what other forum members have to say about the subject at hand.;)

ATS
04-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Let's wait and see what other forum members have to say about the subject at hand.;)
Ok, yeah I just want to get all the info I need so I can be as ready as I possibly can when I do obtain a garter, which will hopefully be this summer.:)

kibakiba
04-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I personally believe variety is the best thing you can give your garter. All of mine eat worms, fish(as a little treat) and pinkies. My newer babies shot up in size faster than my first snake, Snakey... Who was just fed worms. In my experience, rat pups are a lot more expensive than mice. The pet shop I go to for pinkies usually was out of mice, but offered me rat pups at a 10 dollar for 3 rate. I get pinkies at 3 for 5 dollars. Fuzzies and hoppers are also 10 for 3.

ATS
04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I personally believe variety is the best thing you can give your garter. All of mine eat worms, fish(as a little treat) and pinkies. My newer babies shot up in size faster than my first snake, Snakey... Who was just fed worms. In my experience, rat pups are a lot more expensive than mice. The pet shop I go to for pinkies usually was out of mice, but offered me rat pups at a 10 dollar for 3 rate. I get pinkies at 3 for 5 dollars. Fuzzies and hoppers are also 10 for 3.
I could try breeding feeder rats as an option. That way I wouldn't have to worry about them getting too costly if there was a steady stream of pinkies from that.

Mommy2many
04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut!

gregmonsta
04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Greetings :D

Mix
04-03-2011, 03:44 AM
Hello from England! Garters are definitely the way to go! ;)