PDA

View Full Version : Rune ate a pinky!

Enneirda.
03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm a tad ecstatic right now lol. I've been trying to get her to eat for about two weeks now, I was actually going to post soon to see how long she could go withount food before I'd have to feed her a frog or cause her damage. I was beginning to worry I'd have to set her free because I couldn't regularly supply the only thing she'd eat. But finally, she ate!

She also shed two weeks ago. I measured it, and she's 17 inches long, not around 14 like I'd first guessed. How old do you all think she is? Is she small enough to guess with any certainty?

guidofatherof5
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Great news. Way to go Rune.
Sheds are usually longer than the actual length. Could easily be a couple inches.
A lot of good things happening, shedding, eating.
Not sure about age.

Stefan-A
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Mazel tov! :D

ConcinusMan
03-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Sheds are usually longer than the actual length. Could easily be a couple inches

I've seen it go both ways. They can also dry and shrink up to measure smaller than your snake. At any rate, sheds are a terribly inaccurate way to measure a snake.

There is an application (computer program) that is extremely accurate if used carefully and correctly. Keep in mind it works best if your picture frame size(dimensions) is smaller than your screen so you may have to downsize hi res pics or set your camera to low res setting.

Try this and you will get a dead-on accurate measurement:
Apps (http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html)

Stefan-A
03-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Try this and you will get a dead-on accurate measurement:
Apps (http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html)
Provided that both the object you're measuring and whatever you use for scale are the same distance from the center of the picture.

ConcinusMan
03-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Yes, can't stress enough, the importance of reading the directions and tips provided on the web page. There's definitely a right way and a lot of wrong ways to use the program. I usually double check using a second measurement from a different photo. If I'm within a few hundredths of an inch each time I measure, then I'm satisfied that it's accurate enough.

Read all the info provided before you use the program, follow it, and your measurements will be accurate.

Enneirda.
03-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you everyone. :D

That's a very cool widget, I'm going to save it for sure. Her new measurement is 16 inches! so her skin stretched by one inch, I had never thought about the skin stretching or shrinking, it makes sense to me -now!- but before I wouldn't of realized it. You learn something new everyday. ;)

Mommy2many
03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, Rune!

Enneirda.
04-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks Le Ann. :)

RicMartin
04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Congrats!