PDA

View Full Version : sex determination

knitnzu
04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi All, we have a young eastern garter snake temporarily (i think) living on our kitchen table. I put up a pic on my knit blog this morning. Somebody asked, how do you tell he snakes from she snakes? Any thoughts, links to web sites with pics?

Cazador
04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi Lisa,

While this graphic is a bit exagerated, it shows you the distinguishing characteristics between males and females (Alan's Garter Snakes - Maintenance of Garter Snakes (http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/maintenance.htm#Sexing%20snakes)).

Rick

knitnzu
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks Rick! I actually recently got the same info from a herp friend w/ fish and wildlife in ME. We let the snake go over the weekend, but got some pics, looks like it might be a male, but we didn't get the greatest pic. Another tidbit, which you all probably know, is that my herp friend said females tend to musk more than males. And we didn't get musked handling it before we let it go. Thanks again!

adamanteus
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Lisa, and welcome to the forum. So I guess we won't be seeing much of you, as you let the snake go? I've never noticed a tendancy for females to musk more readily than males. I'll be watching for that. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has noted this.

Gyre
05-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Lisa,
Actually I had noticed that females musk more than males. (I made this observation before I could really determine sex,) but I decided that the big fat ones tended to musk. Afterwards, I translated that info. and realized they were mostly female.
Having said this, the girl I have now has never musked me. So, make of that what you will. :)

Cazador
05-08-2007, 12:13 AM
For what it's worth, that hasn't been my experience either. I think a lot of it comes down to the individual snake's demeanor.

Rick

Odie
05-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Lisa ;)

Stefan-A
05-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Welcome aboard, Lisa. :)

ssssnakeluvr
05-08-2007, 07:43 AM
I have been musked by both...haven't noticed any sex doing it more than the other...

drache
05-09-2007, 06:05 AM
hi Lisa
welcome from Brooklyn, NY
good to meet you

Thamnophis
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Hello Lisa, welcome here on this great forum... ;)

ferdinand
05-09-2007, 11:49 AM
just tried to determine the sex of our Butler's garter snake--we don't have a 2nd one to compare it with but the tail does to seem look like a female's, & the hemipenes do not "pop"/evert with gentle pressure...

adamanteus
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
It is rare that the hemipenes can be popped in anything other than very young snakes. If you post a couple of pictures some of the guys on here will be able to help you decide which sex you have.

ferdinand
05-10-2007, 04:56 AM
I'll try to get some photos posted soon. Thanks for the input!

knitnzu
05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi All, Thanks for all of your comments! You are a very active and friendly forum! Here's a picture of the snake. We were thinking it to be a young male.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/snaketaper2.jpg

It looks like the taper begins a couple inches past the cloaca, so it didn't seem like a more pronounced taper as described for females. My herp friend (at ME fish and wildlife) said he thought it was a young snake and that the taper isn't as pronounced/differentiated until they are a bit bigger. We handled it quite a bit, no musk!

Shortly after we let it go in the woodpile, I went back inside the house, was doing laundry, and saw something move. It looked like THE SAME SNAKE! Like magic transportation or something. I just put that one out too.

I will likely not be a regular here, but you all have been just great and I will heartily recommend your site to anybody I know with an interest in snakes in general and garters in specific (and I have a big mouth!)

mikm
05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
It appears 'male' to me. Come back around anytime :) ...

marian

adamanteus
05-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I concur, from the tale it appears to be male. As Marian says, come back anytime, and thanks for the contribution.

ssssnakeluvr
05-14-2007, 09:25 PM
looks like a male to me too.

Cazador
05-15-2007, 11:13 PM
I also agree with the male assessment, but it's not the taper near your finger that gives it away because that would be one ENORMOUS set of hemipenes :rolleyes:. It's the lack of an abrupt taper closer to the vent.