PDA

View Full Version : IT WON't EAT@@@

garterman07
04-30-2007, 05:19 PM
my common gartersnake from wisconsin for some reason does not seem to be eating...i have had him about 2 days and in that time i do not believe he has eaten crickets and then i got worms earlier today and he still has seem not to have eaten any....what should i do i am really worried about rico...hes my first snake and i have no other choice i can't give him away and it would be illegal to let him go plz some one help my other snakes just ate easily this is my first garter and feeding him full fledged mice is not an option either

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 05:27 PM
well i wouldnt worry as it has only been 2 days give it time to get settled in, as long as the animal isnt getting noticbaly skinny i would not get to worried, you could try fish (guppies,rosy reds etc)

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Chris, Don't worry yet. If you've only had him for a couple of days it's not surprising he hasn't eaten yet. Sometimes it can take a couple of weeks for a new snake to settle into it's captive environment. Relax, read some of the threads, check out the care sheets in the article section.

http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

Any worries, feel free to ask, this forum is full of knowledgable, freindly and helpful people, who will be only too willing to answer your questions. Enjoy the forum, and welcome!

Cazador
04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Chris,

If it's any comfort to know, I only feed my garters at 4-day intervals. Many people feed theirs weekly. Before you put a snake into hibernation (brumation), you're not supposed to feed it for at least three weeks while you keep it at "normal" temperatures.

Sometimes newly acquired snakes eat worms or fish the first time they're offered food in their new enclosure, but just as often, they take a week to 10 days before they'll eat (sometimes more). It's nerve racking for the owner who wants their new pet to be happy and healthy, but the best thing you can do is to review the basics (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet) and leave the snake in peace and quiet while it re-adjusts. Pay particular attention to the temperature (mid-70s to mid-80s), and be sure to provide plenty of hiding places. Forget about the crickets. You only get advised to feed crickets to garters by people who sell crickets ;). Maybe even put a blanket or something over part of the glass to make the snake feel more secure. Your snake will come around; just make sure not to stress it out in the mean time.

By the way, this is the time of year when many males become finnicky eaters. They're more concerned about mating than eating. I currently have two males that are skipping 1-2 regularly-scheduled meals before eating on the next attempt.

Keep us posted on your progress, okay?

Rick

Cazador
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Once again, two of us post similar replies at the same time :o. It just shows that people are here to help you :). Good luck,

Rick

garterman07
04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Thank you guys so much, i have searched all over the internet and have never found such great responses thank you guys!!! I am going to do as you said... offer him food and just wait to see what happens, but now I feel alot more comfortable about waiting.

Cazador
04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Sounds good, Chris... just don't leave food in the enclosure for more than an hour or so. It can go bad, and the snakes can become accustomed to the constant scent of food and not be as responsive when you put new food in front of them ;).

Rick

ssssnakeluvr
04-30-2007, 06:46 PM
no insects tho, garters don't eat them...fish (no goldfish) and worms are good for them. They can go for weeks withouit eating and be perfectly healthy.

drache
05-01-2007, 03:18 AM
welcome to this forum, Chris
Oh, and when you offer them worms, make sure they're nightcrawlers, not red wigglers, and definitely not anything in the meal worm family.
Good luck with your little one

garterman07
05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah i was reading on that about the problems with meal worms, gold fish, and red wigglers....horrible little buggers for garters....my tarantulas on the other can eat them and i am going to try and figure out why but i am sure its something simple =)

Snaky
05-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Seems you already got the help you needed, so I only need to welcome you to the forum. Welcome! :)

sschind
05-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Garterman- Where in Wisconsin are you located?

And thanks Rick for not saying you only get advised to feed garters crickets from pet stores even though that's probably what you wanted to say:)

By the way, I signed my lease on my new place last Saturday. I'll be out or this place on May 25th and then on "vacation" for a few weeks before I can get the new place opened up. Best part is I don't have to get a real job, 2nd best part is I get to keep my snakes.