PDA

View Full Version : Snakes on a Plane!

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
So, with Marians new baby Pugets in mind (and others on the way) the question arises of how do we get these onto the European market?

I have family who travel to The States a couple of times each year, but how does the law work for carrying animals over? Anybody know? It's obviously legal because we still get wild caught American snakes in the UK.

Obviously there's going to be big demand for these new babies in the US, but I think that Europe would also provide a good market for them. (Plus, I want some!):D

chloe
04-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi James

I managed to buy 2 females from a pet shop in the UK and i got my male through Daniel at the Hamm show.

I believe there are people in europe hoping to breed them this year, so there should be more about for sale this year.

I can make enquiries for you if you wish?

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes Chloe, please do. I didn't realise we had them in Europe. Put me on your list please!
How about T. ordinoides? Are they available in Europe?

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Even so, there are other species/sub-species that we might want over on this side of the pond, or maybe just new blood. So how does it work for carrying snakes over here?

chloe
04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
I have looked into shipping snakes over from the USA to the UK before and there is a lot of import taxes. It is better to find a private shipper who is already doing a shipment and arrange it through them then you don't have to pay so much on import taxes, defra checks and changing plane charges etc.

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Right, so it's not so straight forward then?

Cazador
04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Very interesting. I've wondered this as well, so any/all info that you can provide would be great.

drache
05-01-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm fairly certain that Daniel has gotten garters from here (the US)
he probably knows what's involved

Daniel
05-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi guys,

once again I would like import a bigger amount of snakes (not only garter snakes, but also other non poisonous and unprotected animals) from the USA. If anyone of you is interested in snakes from the US please let me know - I could import them and send them on to you. It is possible to send the snakes within the EU within only a single day and for small money. Just sending them to England will be a little more difficult. So if you come from England you might have to come over and pick them up or wait until the next Hamm-show, where maybe Chloe could pick them up and take them to England with her. That should not be a problem.

So if you want to participate in this import, please contact me and I will give you all further information. Of course you yourself will have to bear the risk of getting sick animals, having animals die during transportation, getting the wrong sex etc. etc. etc. The only thing I can guarantee is that the snakes will come to Germany legally, that they won't be on the way for too long and that I will take care of them as soon as they get here and as good as I can. (For garter snakes that means optimal care, for all other animals I will need your instructions.) If you want me to, I will take your snakes to a reptile-vet and treat them if necessary. That will of course not be for free ;)

I am planning to do the import in the middle or end of June. Costs depend on how many animals will be ordered. The more people we are, the cheaper it becomes. If we are about 5 or 6, import costs will be around €80 for each of us.

I would also like to open a thread in which our American and Canadian friends can post what they have for sale and also what they could catch for us legally. Us Europeans could list in that thread, what we would like to import.

What do you think about this? Payment can be done over my account to save transfer costs - I have a paypal account.

Best regards,
Daniel

PS: It's also possible to send snakes from Germany to the USA. If anyone is interested in that option, please contact me and I will answer your questions.

Cazador
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Daniel,

How long does the shipment take from the U.S. to Europe (and visa versa)? Of course, going without food isn't a problem, but I've always wondered about going without water. Can you also ship tetrataenias to Canada for the Canadian members? I think a reptile exchange is a great idea, and this forum offers a unique opportunity to collaborate with one another.

Rick

Sputnik
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Having family in Germany I might be able to help out when I go over to visit. So far the only trip I have planned is at the end of September, but as we are hoping to go by train transportation might be fairly easy.

Daniel
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey Rick,

shipping snakes via plain normaly doesnīt take longer than 24 h. But if something went wrong on one of the airports in the US, it may take 48 h longest. That is my experience of the last four years doing imports.

Normaly it shouldnīt be a problem sending tetrataenias to Canada as long as the plain doesnīt have a stop over in the US.

Last year Iīd send some tetrataenias to Japan without having any troubles. All animals arrived healthy and in very good condition, so I donīt see any problems in sending snakes via plain. Itīs the same like sending snakes via UPS or FedEx with next day delivery.

Best wishes,

Daniel

adamanteus
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Daniel, If we keep this thread active, I think you might be arranging a big shipment this year!

Cazador
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
That's really cool, Daniel. I've had snakes delivered 48 hours after shipment and they've all been just fine. I'm glad to hear that the snakes aren't kept in a box for too long. Thanks for the info,

Rick

chloe
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Great idea Daniel. It would be good to see what our American and Canadian friends have for sale and/or expect to have for sale.