PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Thamnophis.com Chat Session

Cazador
04-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi all,

Kevin (Ameivaboy) has graciously offered to host a chat session on his webiste. Let's plan for this Saturday (5 May) at noon Pacific standard time, 3PM Eastern time, 7PM Grenwich Mean time, and 8PM in the Netherlands.

You might have to download the most recent Java version, so go to the website before Saturday to make sure it works on your computer. The newest version of Java is offered while setting up the chat program on your computer. Just go to: HerpSites.Net Chat - powered by the Herp Sites Network (http://chat.herpsites.net)

Choose a nickname (or enter your thamnophis.com screen name).

Select Ameivaboy’s Gator Lizard Chat from the list, and click on the “Connect to HerpSites.Net Chat” button.

This is where you might be prompted to download the Java Applet. It's pretty simple.

Once you see the chat window (green & white with a picture of a lizard in the background), you're ready to go. See you there, and be sure to give Kevin a big thanks for hosting it :),

Rick

drache
04-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Hey Thanks Kevin
what a great idea
this'll be so fun
I'll have to join in late though, because of my science day gig

Snaky
04-30-2007, 06:13 AM
It's a pitty, but I'll probably won't be able to come saterday or I will, at the very best, be very late :( I'll do my best. But there will probably come other sessions in the future if this one is a success:)

For the one's who are used to chat through irc: Is there an irc channel to connect to? Or is the only possibility the Java applet?

ssssnakeluvr
04-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks Kevin!!! Unfortunately I work on the weekends.....:( How long will the session be??? I am off at 300 in the afternoon...Utah time...

Stefan-A
04-30-2007, 07:58 AM
I'll try to show up, but I can't promise anything.

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 09:57 AM
There's no need to thank me, I think it will be fun and good for this site.:D

snaky said
For the one's who are used to chat through irc: Is there an irc channel to connect to? Or is the only possibility the Java applet?

you can join through mIRC the server name is sorcery.net and just join the channel #Gatorlizard if you would like to download mIRC you can do so here mIRC - An Internet Relay Chat program (http://mIRC.com) though setting it up can be a little bit of a pain in my opinion compared to the java applette

as for those who may be late in attendence the chat will end when everyone leaves ( it's my chat so im always in there or not too far away) so please join even if it isnt at the scheduled time :)

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, I'd like to be there but I can't make it work. I have the latest Java Platform, but I just get a blank white page. If I can sort it out I'll see you all there on Saturday!

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Glad we finally got ya in james, if any other members have trouble at all please feel free to message me on aim/aol (ameivaboy on there too) and I will help you and if you dont have aim/aol feel free to pm me, sometimes technology just doesnt work the way you want it too :)

Snaky
04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
These are so familiar posts for me... I was also always helping people get in when I was the @ of a chat I used to run. Thanks for the channel name, will be a lot faster than the java applet for me:)

Stefan-A
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I still think this forum needs an irc channel. ;) Kevin, thanks for letting us use yours. :)

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, thanks Kevin, and thanks for helping me get set up. I'm not exactly a computer whizz kid, but you made it really easy.

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
No problem, and if all goes well I can help you guys make your own chatroom on that server

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:05 PM
If Saturday is a success you never know...Jason might want to do that.

GarterGuy
05-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Very cool, but unfortunately, I'll hopefully be up to my eyeballs in Copperheads, by that time on Sat. Figures....there's a ton of stuff going on that weekend. Well snakes have to win out....LOL.:D
Roy

Thamnophis
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I will do my best, but cannot garantee that I will be there.

adamanteus
05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I must admit, I'm really looking forward to Saturday's chat. I hope plenty of us can make it. It's very good of Kevin (Ameivaboy) to arrange this for us, and the more of us show up the more likely it is that we'll get our own chat room. I am working on Saturday but I'll be home in plenty of time, so I'll be there to show you guys how slowly I type!!:o :D

Sputnik
05-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Aaargh, that would have been amazing, but I'm supposed to be in London. :( Should my plans change...

Ameivaboy
05-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I understand people have lives to live, and the chat was somewhat short notice, but i am also open to hosting another one as well with more advance notice so people can try to squeeze it into their busy schedules, just a thought : )

adamanteus
05-02-2007, 01:51 PM
I hope (if Saturday is a success) that a regular scheduled chat can be arranged. I think it will be fun, even though I'm not normally a chat person. With you guys I'll make an exception!

Cazador
05-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I'll be there, and I hope others will as well. I can't imagine that this will be the last one, so let's see how it works out. Now we at least have four participants (James, Kevin, Rhea, and myself). Stefan & Fons might be there, and Hans might be late. Anyone else planning to be there?

Rick

Gijs & Sabine
05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
What a good idea !!! Sounds fun, but I did try to connect to that chatroom like Rick told, but it doesn't work for me. Can anybody tell me what I have to do ?? I Think it's to difficult for me:confused:

Cazador
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
When you get to the page that says, "The Herp Site Network" have you tried clicking on the link in the yellow box at the bottom of the page that says, "Java version?" It will test what version of Java you have installed on your computer and offer you a free download if you don't have the right version.

Rick

Volksdragon
05-04-2007, 07:58 PM
If I'm not out at the time, I'll surely be there.

KITKAT
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

Kevin (Ameivaboy) has graciously offered to host a chat session on his webiste. Let's plan for this Saturday (5 May) at noon Pacific standard time, 3PM Eastern time, 7PM Grenwich Mean time, and 8PM in the Netherlands.

You might have to download the most recent Java version, so go to the website before Saturday to make sure it works on your computer. The newest version of Java is offered while setting up the chat program on your computer. Just go to: HerpSites.Net Chat - powered by the Herp Sites Network (http://chat.herpsites.net)

Choose a nickname (or enter your thamnophis.com screen name).

Select Ameivaboy’s Gator Lizard Chat from the list, and click on the “Connect to HerpSites.Net Chat” button.

This is where you might be prompted to download the Java Applet. It's pretty simple.

Once you see the chat window (green & white with a picture of a lizard in the background), you're ready to go. See you there, and be sure to give Kevin a big thanks for hosting it :),

Rick

I tried all that just now (10 pm EST) and could not get the chat window.

Ameivaboy
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
For the people that ahve contacted me with issues using the java link they have all been able to enter using mIRC

you can join through mIRC the server name is sorcery.net and just join the channel #Gatorlizard if you would like to download mIRC you can do so here mIRC - An Internet Relay Chat program (http://mirc.com/)

if you have any problem with that please pm me or hit me up on aol/aim (same name ameivaboy) and i'll help you get set up

Thamnophis
05-04-2007, 08:47 PM
At my job this all does not work. And I cannot do anything about it.
Will try it next week at home.

Stefan-A
05-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I'll be there.

Volksdragon
05-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I'll be coming via IRC.

adamanteus
05-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I was there for five minutes, but I get language like that all day at work, I don't need it on-line too. So I left.

Stefan-A
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM
If you are referring to the cursing, it stopped.

Ameivaboy
05-05-2007, 12:58 PM
yes i put and end to that( banned them) i apologize for that persons mouth

adamanteus
05-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I appreciate your intervention there Kevin. I had my wife and daughter looking over my shoulder when the language started, that's why I left so sharpish. I'm not sure that chat is really my forte, but thanks for the opportunity to try it out.

drache
05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I realize I'm a bit late, but is that chat still going?
I couldn't get there when I tried

Cazador
05-05-2007, 07:02 PM
It's over now... not a bad turnout, though.

Rick

OregonHerpaholic
05-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Sorry I missed this post, but my computer wouldn't allow me to download anything new to chat with humaniods.. But I would love to try for the next one.. or at least "hear" how Saturday's chat session went .

Cheers,

Billie

Cazador
05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi Billie,

Here's a link to another thread where we gave our feedback on how the first chat went (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/862-chat-feedback-2.html#post11092). Enjoy,

Rick

Wool11
01-06-2022, 01:28 AM
I still think this forum needs an irc channel.
thanks for letting us use yours.