PDA

View Full Version : BABIES !!! Puget_Blues !!!

mikm
04-29-2007, 05:58 AM
hello all !!! I woke this morning to a sweet surprise 'BABY BLUES' :D :) :D !!!

AND ... it's my BIRTHDAY !!! ... what a great MaMa snake waiting for my B-Day, lol ... I think I have 5 maybe ... not sure if she's done :) Will post some pics when I calm down abit, lol ...

marian

Ameivaboy
04-29-2007, 06:09 AM
awesome congrats, and happy birthday as well

sorry i gotta be a lil jealous here, im still waiting for my female pugets to pop, cant wait to see the pix

Gijs & Sabine
04-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Congratulations Marian !!!! I think that's the best birthdaygift you can get:)

Stefan-A
04-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Congratulations! :)

Snaky
04-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Congrats!:)

Sputnik
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
What a fantastic birthday present! :D

garterking
04-29-2007, 12:19 PM
hello all !!! I woke this morning to a sweet surprise 'BABY BLUES' :D :) :D !!!

AND ... it's my BIRTHDAY !!! ... what a great MaMa snake waiting for my B-Day, lol ... I think I have 5 maybe ... not sure if she's done :) Will post some pics when I calm down abit, lol ...

marian

Marian,
Firstly.............Happy Birthday.
Secondly..............Congrats.
Thirdly...............I know it's a small batch, but now we all know "bob" has some competition. I would bet everything that with what I know and read of you on here, these beauties will be in fine shape and be cared for much more than anything "bob" will ever touch.
Congrats again and keep us all posted on their progress. Good luck as you now have the tast of teaching them how to eat. LOL
Can't wait to see the pics.
Mike

adamanteus
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Congratulations Marian, and Happy Birthday too! Looking forward to seeing those photographs.

boeh
04-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Congrats Marian. First to your babies, and second to you :-)

I hope that all went well and looking forward to see some pictures.

Cyrill

drache
04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Marian!
Happy Birthday and Congratulations.
How wonderful to have it all come together in this way.
I can't wait to see the babies.

Cazador
04-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Holy Guacamole Marian!!! What great news! I'm green with envy right now! Can't wait to hear about they're progress, and I hope you'll keep a little blog-type progress report, like Terry does. A lot of people were waiting for this moment ;-). Cheers to you and your little ones,

Rick

mikm
04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
morning all ... When all was said and done we have SEVEN live babies and one stillborn. The still born was fully developed. Of the 7, one of them appears to have a slightly smaller body overall and seemed abit sluggish compared to the rest of the group when they are 'relaxed'. All look great and alert this morning :D ... I have them in shredded aspen bedding in a 7 something gallon, plastic reptile container. These babies are long, relative to the size of the adults, at least 8", each of them. Best of all the Mom looks just super !!! A little tired but she never looked better ;) .. Honestly she never looked large enough to be carrying all of these inside her even tightly wrapped. I thought she might have been carrying 'jelly beans' as this is her first litter. The babies have a slight greenish/blue tint to them. At least one of them has a dark belly, the rest pale blue/green. I did take pics and promise to post them sometime today. More good news is I have another litter 'in progress', another gravid female. This second female ('stubby tail') LOOKS large so it'll be interesting to see how many she is carrying. Stubby Tail is in shed (blue eyes) right now so it'll be a little bit ... Promise my next update will have pics :)

Much, MUCH thanks to all for the well wishes ... This is truly a sweet forum !!!
marian

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 10:04 AM
well, i must say i am eageraly waiting to see your babies as it will give me an idea what to expect from my pugets, my big female just shed so shouldnt be too long, i hope you dont have 2 litters before i even have one (then i'll be REALLY jealous lol)

mikm
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Proud MaMa on top, 'blue' MaMa to be (stubby tail) in log ==>http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/IMG_0880.jpg

Babies Yesterday ==>
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/IMG_0867.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/IMG_0862.jpg

Tried to capture color ===>
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/IMG_0865_2.jpg

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Marian, "proud Mama" is a beautiful snake. Really pleased for you.

mikm
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Babies Today ==>
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/IMG_0875.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/IMG_0862_1.jpg

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
They are big babies aren't they?

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
ok now i really hate you marian (lol jk, just more jealous than ever now)

awesome little guys, cant wait till we have more available pugets so people wont have to deal with bob

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
So, how do we get these Pugets onto the European market?

Stefan-A
04-30-2007, 04:14 PM
James said it already, how do we get these Pugets onto the European market? ;)

Truly beautiful snakes you have there.

chloe
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Happy Birthday and congratulations.

I am hoping to breed mine next year, still growing them on.

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Chloe, You have Pugets?!

chloe
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes i do. I bought the first two from the Rainforest in Rhyl at the begining of last year, they were both female. I managed to get a young male through Daniel at the hamm show in march this year.

I believe they came on the market in Europe in 2005 so there should be people breeding them in Europe this year. So there should be alot more on the market. I can make enquiries for you.

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
So, were the two females from Rhyl just a chance/accidental importation?

chloe
04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
The Rainforest tried to get me some more and thought they could but they never arrived. The shipper was Tom Halvorsen Ltd Tom Halvorsen Ltd - Ornamental Fish, Reptiles, Birds & mammals (http://www.tomhalvorsen.co.uk) I contacted him direct, but he didn't have anymore and didn't know whether he could get anymore.

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
So it was just chance? That's how I got my group of ordinoides in 1999, shear fluke! Never to be repeated.

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
I might be able to help with that being i work for a wholesaler/exporter
if you guys are interested i can look into it, always good to have new bloodlines available

adamanteus
04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
So if we could put together a big enough European/UK order.......?

Ameivaboy
04-30-2007, 05:24 PM
yes, ill have to get details from my boss, i dont know what kind of minimum or whatever he'll want but i can see, though the problem being as i only have 2 gravid females i couldnt nearly supply what would probably be needed so it might have to be "bobs" snakes, if that were the case I would however hand pick the animals as to try to deliver the highest quality shipment possible (though i fully understand that might not be of interest and frankly wouldnt blame any of you)
though a possible alternative if we get more of bobs snakes (which i have no control over) i could possibly pick up as many gravid females as I could properly house and wait till they have their litters, just a thought

Cazador
04-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Marian,

Great job in capturing the mother's true colors! My camera always fades them out. The pictures also do a great job of showing what large babies she had. They look large and strong :cool:. Any shedding from the babies yet? Congrats again,

Rick

GarterGuy
05-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey Marian, a belated happy B-day and congrats on your little blue darlings. That is really great and great to hear that there may be more on the way. The babies look really nice and REALLY big! That's very cool, the babies that I had gotten from "Bob", were really tiny and kind of frail looking, these guys look very robust and healthy. To say I'm jealous goes with out saying :D . You'll have to keep us updated on their progress, hope they just take off and do great.
Roy

mikm
05-01-2007, 08:02 AM
morning all ... thank you all so very much for the well wishes :) James, when I got that female (and stubby tail) she was pretty beat up looking. She must have been 'snatched' fresh out from brumation. Her color at first looked more like a greenish blue at best. I wish I had pics of her from then. With each shed and comfy living conditions no doubt, her color though slowly, improved drastically.
The babies do look large to me as well. I took all of the pics with no flash, macro setting 'on'. With my hand in the pics you can judge the actual size. At birth they were thin and very long. At one day old (prior to feeding) they no longer look skinny.

Three of the seven ate a nice sized worm for me yesterday afternoon !! I first tried a freshly f/t, chopped up rosey red but 'no dice'. Their reaction to food (worms) varied. The ones that fed had an almost immediate reaction. The frozen stare followed by the snatch, the backward retreat, ending with the tail prop up for support while wrestling with their prey. Only one appeared to be somewhat frightened by the worm, while the rest just gave up after seemingly trying to figure out what to do. They would come forward, taste it with their tongue, even touch it with their chin, then back up slightly and watch it with a seemingly curious expression upon their little faces ;) It is just too cute watching them leisurely 'stroll' over to their water dish, take a little drink and look up at me. The baby that I felt was a bit lethargic no longer appears so. For the most part 'she' hangs by herself while the rest stay in a group or two.

All of the babies are pretty docile as I can pick up a group of them to move them and no one freaks out. So I was surprised to see them all trying to leap or climb straight out of their container while outside on my back deck, after removing the lid for a photo opt. While I was standing there adjusting my camera, it occurs to me that all of the sudden I hear birds excitedly shreiking nearby. DUH !!! The poor little guys must have thought they were being offered up for lunch !!!

have a great day all !!!
marian

Cazador
05-01-2007, 11:42 AM
How funny. I can picture their first encounter with worms :D. If you haven't already done so, you might consider separating them and not putting them all on the porch at once in case anything unexpected happens. Better to be safe than sorry with such "precious cargo." Best,

Rick

Thamnophis
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Congratulations!!!

GarterGuy
05-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey great to hear that they are feeding for you, well at least most of them. It is funny to watch them take there firsr meals....it's like they're really not sure exactly what the heck to do with it...LOL. Sounds like they got a good start though, hopefully they'll just take off from there and start growing like weeds. You'll have to keep us posted on their progress.
Roy