PDA

View Full Version : first snake

gartergal
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
What was your first snake?
and how did you get onto garters ?:D

erinlovessnakes
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
my frist snake was a mother in laber named Stewie and how i got into snakes is because my mom LeAnn or mommy2many she had snakes when she was little so i was interested about how to take care of them and what it was like when she was little.:D

gartergal
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
awhh :]

mustang
02-26-2011, 04:50 PM
dusty....he was a flat head (a species of tantilla) he died after a few months and my uncle gave me checker....i at first was unimpressed (i wanted a coach whip) BUTTTTT checker got me :P ,i was suckered into garters in less than a week. :P

gregmonsta
02-26-2011, 05:12 PM
About Me - Thamnophis Alba - The Scottish Garter Snake (http://thamnophis-alba.webs.com/aboutme.htm) :p

mustang
02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
what is this?http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Blindschleiche2.jpg

gregmonsta
02-26-2011, 05:16 PM
A slow worm ;) ... a form of legless lizzard.

mustang
02-26-2011, 05:31 PM
COOOOOL see MOM i can learn on a weekend....(even if it was on accident)

guidofatherof5
02-26-2011, 08:58 PM
My mother introduced me to a T.radix at age 6.
I don't remember my first as I had many turtles, lizards and snakes.

ConcinusMan
02-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Looked just like this one, a T. ordinoides. It was 1977 and I was 7 years old. Found it in my backyard shortly after moving here from So. CA. Must have made an impression because in spite of keeping a lot of different species over the years, I still prefer garters. I keep nothing but garters these days. You can keep your corns, milks, kings, pythons and boas. They're cool and all but garters rule.:p

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/691/gedc1487large.jpg

kibakiba
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Snakey was my first snake, I caught him in the middle of a two month drought and decided to keep him. He really grew on me. He was a tiny little guy, only 9 inches. Ad of course, after having him for about a year I had to have more. ;)

gartergal
02-27-2011, 04:50 AM
my first snakes was a checkered garter snake :] then i got another one and i wondered what other garters are there ! go after 30mins on google i was like OMG and have had them ever since :]

Millinex
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Some big *** super evil garter back when I was kid, not overly exciting first snake, however my second snake, was a cottonmouth =) I was 5 years old :D

BUSHSNAKE
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I dig cottonmouths...thats a cottonmouth that im holding in my avatar picture...i have a thing for venomous

Millinex
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I dig cottonmouths...thats a cottonmouth that im holding in my avatar picture...i have a thing for venomous
I'll have to find the picture of me freehandling a big western diamondback one of these days.. I sent it back to my mother while I was in the field and got some good laughs.

guidofatherof5
03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Sent the photo or the snake back to your mother.:D

Millinex
03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Sent the photo or the snake back to your mother.:D
Picture haha

suklaamumina
03-25-2011, 04:03 AM
I got some kind of a garter snake called Kalle when I was a kid. No idea of the species, I don't think I even have any pictures of it... It escaped and we never found it :/ (any guests coming to our house checked behind the couch pillows for the snake for months every time they sat on the couch, looks on their faces were pretty priceless when they asked where my snake was and we told them it had escaped...)

guidofatherof5
03-25-2011, 05:33 AM
I just don't tell my guests.
Unless it's someone I don't want in the house.:D

RedSidedSPR
03-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Me too:D

As for my first (and only, so far) snake, I was in Illinois, at a rest stop with my parents and grandma. I wandered down a path with a creek, hoping for some kind of snake. My favorite kind of snake at the time (still is) were garter snakes, but I'd never seen one. And when I saw that red-sided I grabbed it and couldn't let it go. Actually it was more the fact that it didn't eat mice, so I was able to convince my parents to let me keep him.:D I didnt mention they ate pinkies... there's a differnce right?:rolleyes:

RicMartin
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
This is my first snake: Wunjo, a male Honduran Milk. I found him at the East Bay Vivarium, in Berkeley, about 12 years ago. I was there just window shopping, no intention of getting any pet, much less a snake. Wunjo was so engaging I had to touch him, and once in my hands he was all over me like a kitten starved for attention. I had no idea that snakes were affectionate.
I couldn't put him back in his cage.
He's still with us and doing well. :)

ConcinusMan
03-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I had no idea that snakes were affectionate.

That's because they aren't, even though it seems that way sometimes.;)

guidofatherof5
03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
That's because they aren't, even though it seems that way sometimes.;)

Oh ye, of little faith.:D
It may a different kind of affection on the snakes end.

kibakiba
03-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I think snakes can be, some of them certainly seem to seek out attention. Even Snap seeks attention every once in a while. You saw how she was in the video, but today when I was on poop patrol she just came up and slithered into my hand. That is something she would never do. Maybe they cant feel love but I'm sure they feel at least somewhat comforted by us.
By the way, I doubt it was the fact I'm warm if someone is going to say that, the house has been in the mid to high 80s since 1:30 pm.
I'm soooo going to get flamed for saying that. Hah.

ConcinusMan
03-26-2011, 01:51 AM
http://super-genius.org/images/flamed.jpg

drache
03-26-2011, 05:03 AM
my first snake was a garter

Mommy2many
04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Mine too!

RicMartin
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I got into garters because of a photo Jeff posted of a blue radix, I bought that garter's daughter the moment I could. Then I read Steve's Radix Ranch posts. My fate was sealed.

Mix
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
I always wanted a garter, since I was little. I didn't want a corn, unlike everyone else!
No offense to them (my cousin and best friend have them and they're gorgeous), but garters seemed to have such personality.
I don't know why it took me so long to get one, but as soon as I did, I was hooked. :) Can't wait to add more this year.

BLUESIRTALIS
04-04-2011, 08:12 AM
My first pet snake was a ringneck snake that i caught as a child, but i have kept all sorts of snakes including venomous.I just can't stop going back to garters they are just so awesome.