PDA

View Full Version : new born checkered

tessymal
02-22-2011, 03:36 PM
i am new to this forum, my checkered garter snake had 11 babies 20/02/11. They have not been interested in food yet, day 3. does anybody have any tips.

Stefan-A
02-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Welcome aboard.

It will take them a few days before they start eating. What kind of food are you offering them?

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
It could take a week or more before they want to eat.
What are you trying to feed them?

Nice to have you on the forum.

HazAnga
02-22-2011, 09:16 PM
sometimes it takes a bit, my females both had babies last year and took them a bit to eat, but I found that guppies in a shallow water dish works well. Worm pieces, pinkie pieces and fish like talapia cut up, all of those into like bite size pieces work best. I'm going to have babies again very shortly, my female just shed today so it should be any day now.

Odie
02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi, from Oregon, tessymal :)

ConcinusMan
02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Many checkered breeders get them started on live guppies. (do not use minnows or goldfish) Wiggling night crawlers is another good starter food. I wouldn't start worrying until it's been 10 days or so. They should eat by then.

gregmonsta
02-24-2011, 03:35 AM
Greetings :D

tessymal
02-24-2011, 07:22 AM
thanks all, day three sardines, they loved them, chopped up very fine.
as a first timer i was a little worried

tessymal
02-24-2011, 07:24 AM
i have some pictures on my facebook page, couldnt figure out posting on here

ConcinusMan
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
thanks all, day three sardines, they loved them, chopped up very fine.
as a first timer i was a little worried

Not sure if sardines are a good choice. Anyone:confused: Be cautious about getting salt in their diet. You don't want that. Still, it's good news. If they'll eat that, they'll likely eat other chopped fish. Might be good to mix in chopped pinkies and worms too, to get them introduced and eating them early. The earlier you introduce other foods, the better chances that they will take a varied diet throughout their lives and that's a good thing.

It's only natural to be worried your first time but only a few days is nothing to be worried about at all. They absorb unused yolk right before they are born so they're basically already well fed when they join the world.;)

Personally, I've never got any of my litters to eat before day 7, and many of them hold out until days 10-12. Once they start though, they eat like little pigs every day.:)

guidofatherof5
02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
If you're talking about canned sardines I would think they are high in sodium since they are processed.
If they will eat the sardines use the sardine juice to fool them into eating worms, pinky parts or some raw, good fish.
Just an idea.;)

ConcinusMan
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
That's what I was worried about. Canned sardines are salty enough to kill them in one meal. I certainly hope that's not what they ate.

Mommy2many
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the forum! Try earthworms/nightcrawlers first. Easy to eat and digest. That's what my little ones took to first. Congratulations!

mustang
03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
WELCOME IM ROBERT!!! and hooray its eating!!!

snakelegs
03-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Have they shed yet? If not that might be why. They usually don't eat till after they first shed if I'm not mistaken. Hope that helps.