PDA

View Full Version : Narcisse Den Coordinates

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 06:49 AM
It's been almost 2 years since my kids and I visited the Narcisse Dens in Manitoba. Here's a link to our awesome trip. The photos start on page #9. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/4792-narcisse-dens.html
I've been working with Goggle Earth and could never find the dens until the other day. I had to back track from the location we stayed in(Arborg).
I have those coordinates now. If anyone would like them just PM me.
Just copy them from the PM and paste them into the "fly in" field on goggle earth. At that location you can zoom to street level and see the Den sign from the road. Visiting that area with Goggle Earth reminded me of that special time with my kids. I drove 1900 mile in just over two days but it was well worth it.
I hope to visit the Dens again in the next couple of years.

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Sorry, the Google Earth field is "fly to", not "fly in";)

ConcinusMan
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Well why didn't you just post the coordinates in the first place? I'd like to take a look.

guidofatherof5
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Well why didn't you just post the coordinates in the first place? I'd like to take a look.

Snake protection.

ConcinusMan
02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
I'll tell you the same thing I told Udo when he chastened me for posting the good spots for SF garters. It's not a secret. It's well known internationally and not hard to look up.:rolleyes: The location of the Dens and the SF garters are quite well looked after by park rangers. In other words, because everyone knows, they'll be watching for any illegal activity.

There's only so much you can do to protect a world famous and well known spot for garter snakes. keeping the location a "secret" isn't one of them. The horse already left the barn.

guidofatherof5
02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
In any event, I will do no harm. That's why I require a PM.
My choices.;)

ConcinusMan
02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Of course. No need to bother. Google earth found it for me. The countryside looks very much like where I live only the masses of snakes I see are T. ordinoides.

Mommy2many
02-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way...

Reptar!
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
That place looks so cool. I am gonna have to take a trip there someday. If only my friends and family liked snakes the way I do. None of them would be very excited to be around that many snakes haha.