PDA

View Full Version : Question about transporting a snake.

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Well to start, Hello everyone. My name is Keaton. I am fairly new to the whole keeping snakes as pets. I have had some before but not for an extended period of time. I usually go out and catch a couple and keep them for a few days and let them go again, then I go catch different ones. My question is about snakes from out of state. I live in Colorado. And my family lives in Iowa. I caught some red sided garters, I don't know the scientific name I apologize. I was wondering if I caught one out there and brought here, would it suffer from any altitude sicknesses or anything like that? I know I could buy one. However, I prefer catching them. Do you guys know of any risks to my method? Also would the snake be at any risk of the Colorado environment if for some reason I had to let the little guy free? Please let me know what you think. Would I be better off just not doing it? :confused:

Stefan-A
02-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Catching snakes for a few days and then releasing them causes them unnecessary stress and may even help spread diseases. I recommend getting a captive bred one and keeping it permanently.

Yes. Catching animals at one location and releasing them elsewhere is how invasive species are introduced. Don't ever do it.

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 03:38 AM
I never thought about that. Thank you. If I get one from another state is the snake at risk of any health issues from the elevation difference? I live at around 6000 feet above sea level. Would it cause any unnecessary stress coming up to this level? I really don't have to have a snake from somewhere else. I just think they are cool. As I said and I am sure you have picked up on, I'm pretty new to this. I am just trying to get these questions answered before I mess up and make the snake suffer.

gregmonsta
02-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Stress is the biggest worry and it alone can be a killer. It may acclimatise well but you're more likely to have a CB snake cope better with this kind of shift. Like Stefan said - if you do decide to move it you need to be prepared to take care of it for it's whole life and be more wary about what you introduce in the future.

drache
02-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Snakes get transported by air when they get shipped, and I suspect that cargo holds aren't well pressurized. As far as I know, there have been no specific studies done, but to all appearances the snakes seem not much affected. I would think in a more permanent move the snake would adjust.
To pack a snake for travel, you would put her in an appropriately sized, secure container with air holes, with something absorbent to take care of messes and provide some padding. Food storage containers are often used. Don't feed the snake for a week before travel. If you take her in your carry-on, there'll be no worries about cabin pressure.

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It helps a lot. After reading all of this I am kinda re-thinking the whole having a snake shipped idea. I don't think I am ready for something like that yet. However I still would like to have a pet snake. And I would prefer a garter or a ribbon snake. Do you guys suggest any specific breed?

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I must say the T. radix (Plains Garter Snake) is a fine animal.
Females become very docile and they seem to enjoy interaction. Alas, I must admit to being a bit bias to T. radix.;)

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks Steve. I don't mind the bias. You must like them for a reason. I was actually leaning towards those guys anyway. Not knowing what I was doing I had some of those last summer. I had no idea that catching and releasing was hard on them. However I had around six of them. And out of all of the T. radix I notices how much easier it was to work with them as opposed to the western terrestrials. I also read that how I was feeding them was not ok. I had them eating Gold fish. I was told that was ok but after some digging I guess its not. Is there a kind of fish a pet store would carry that is Ok for them to eat?

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Guppies are usually a good bet. I would suggest you don't buy Rosy minnow(Pet shop) or minnow from a bait store. Both contain thiaminaze and minnows can carry a heavy parasite load.
Fresh fish fillet from the store is good. You must be careful what you buy.
I only by fresh, products of Canada or the U.S.
Salmon, trout and tilapia are safe.
Here's a link to the care sheet that will give you some other idea.
Glad to hear you have been looking into things.
Garter Snake Care Sheet - Care sheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for that page. It helps a lot. Very specific. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I was at the pet store today and I was looking at the substrate that they carry. I noticed that they had sand and I read somewhere that you shouldn't use sand. So it made me question the wood shavings they had. Do you know if wood chips from Fir trees is ok?

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure about fir bark.
Aspen is a good safe wood. Keep in mind that all substrate can be ingested and could cause a blockage. Feed times should be monitored or snakes should be removed from their enclosures when being fed.

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I heard about having a separate place for feeding. I couldn't find any of the lay down mat things. Thats what I would prefer. I figured the a bark of some kind would be next best. I will keep looking. I have almost everything I need. I just got done building my terrarium. I am just getting all the stuff for the inside now. Do you know if I do use a separate box or tank for feeding would the snake still be at risk of ingesting the substrate?

guidofatherof5
02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I heard about having a separate place for feeding. I couldn't find any of the lay down mat things. Thats what I would prefer. I figured the a bark of some kind would be next best. I will keep looking. I have almost everything I need. I just got done building my terrarium. I am just getting all the stuff for the inside now. Do you know if I do use a separate box or tank for feeding would the snake still be at risk of ingesting the substrate?

It's always possible but much less likely. A snake that regurgitates might try to eat it again after it's placed back.
As a rule, feeding outside their home almost eliminates any substrate ingestion.;)

Reptar!
02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
In that case I think I will separate them for the feeding and I will just go with aspen substrate. Thank you so much for your information. I really appreciate it.

ConcinusMan
02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure about fir bark.

Aspen sucks IHMO. I suppose nobody has heard of reptibark? Here's a hint: It's douglas fir bark.;)

Never release a non-native species. If you can't commit, then don't keep anything. Now, sometimes with WC snakes, they don't adapt well or won't eat. That becomes apparent in just a couple of weeks and I always return those and release them EXACTLY where I found them.

I'm not sure how or if a snake would adapt from low elevation to high elevation but if you drive the snake there yourself, altitude is gained gradually. Shipping is a breeze if you know the ropes BTW. Even if you use USPS express mail, the cargo planes are pressurized and the cargo doesn't freeze.

Mommy2many
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!