PDA

View Full Version : Poop ID.

guidofatherof5
01-23-2011, 09:35 PM
From time to time I know members have posted about strange looking poop from their garter snakes.
I thought it might be good if we have a thread identifying the different looking poop after certain meals.
I'll get it started with these two.
First up is Night Crawler(notice the dirt in the poop), then Mice.
Still need salmon, tilapia and anything else you would like to post.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/worm_poop.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/mouse_poop.jpg

kibakiba
01-23-2011, 09:38 PM
This is just what I wanted to see, after eating dinner and while drinking juice. :p

MasSalvaje
01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
I like the idea Steve.

-Thomas

brain
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
This is just what I wanted to see, after eating dinner and while drinking juice. :p

Yea Steve does have some interesting subjects. :eek:

Steve no more pic of this s--- please ;);)

Stefan-A
01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Fish.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakesies08/poopie1.jpg

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakesies08/redpoop1.jpg

Mouse

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakesies08/vagrans-nope.jpg

Yeah, I don't have any good pictures.

guidofatherof5
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Stefan,
What kind of fish is the second photo? Salmon?

guidofatherof5
01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I did locate this photo from a few months back.
Salmon poop.
I believe some of this coloring is natural but also believe it's added in for sales appeal.
I remember some new members posting concerns when they found this in their enclosures.
Most of the time their concerns were calmed when we found out they had been feeding Salmon.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/salmon_poo.jpg

Stefan-A
01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Stefan,
What kind of fish is the second photo? Salmon?
Rainbow trout.

Mommy2many
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I was just about to ask you, Stefan, how you ever got them to poop in a dish. Then I noticed it was the water dish. Enough said:D

mustang
01-24-2011, 07:54 PM
wow how...........appealing............maybe.......... .making a girl read this post before asking weather or not to marry her is a great idea! :P

zooplan
01-24-2011, 11:59 PM
wow how...........appealing............maybe.......... .making a girl read this post before asking weather or not to marry her is a great idea! :P

... too late:o

I´m already in chains:D

Stefan-A
01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Can't beat fresh squeezed.

(Skip to 2:15)

_TYk4Qpi4gE

guidofatherof5
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Now that's a pile of poo.:D
I'm guessing the meal was worms? but please clarify.
Great looking vagrans.

Stefan-A
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you.

It was the mouse it ate in the beginning. Dark fur, dark poop.

guidofatherof5
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Thank you.

It was the mouse it ate in the beginning. Dark fur, dark poop.

Dark fur. Makes sense. Thanks.

gregmonsta
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
You could compost half an acre with that :rolleyes:

Stefan-A
01-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, that's a new record in my collection.

ConcinusMan
01-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Just had to show off didn't you? Well that aint nothin'. My Big Bertha does that as a matter of just an average routine poop. I'd be happy to send you the next one just to prove it.:p

A day or two after eating half a dozen giant night crawlers.. now that's a pile of poo! One little poo for snake, one giant heap for me to clean up!

kibakiba
01-29-2011, 05:05 AM
If I could get Snap in the act of pooping, you would be amazed. You wouldn't expect that much of anything to come out of such a small little snake. I will find a way to get her in the act... I will... Hah...

Ryachanira
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Okay I guess I have a question to add to this lovely thread full of lovely pictures...

I haven't ever seen anything like any of these from Silv. All I have ever seen out of him is small amounts of some white.. stuff. Normally accompanied by fluid (when he goes on me, anyway - I don't see the fluid in the cage, just the white). Is this his urine then? That's really all I ever remember seeing out of him.

Granted, he probably has never eaten on his own in the three and a half months we've had him, and the stuff we tube feed him is a very liquidy paste, so it may not produce a solid stool.

Hm.. do I really want him to start eating on his own if he is going to start doing that all over the place...? (Just kidding of course, I would be thrilled for him to eat, haha)

guidofatherof5
02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Sounds like urates.
Feces and Urates (http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/feces.html)

ConcinusMan
02-09-2011, 03:43 AM
I haven't ever seen anything like any of these from Silv. All I have ever seen out of him is small amounts of some white.. stuff. Normally accompanied by fluid (

I agree with Steve. That's garter "pee" you described, which can, and does happen much more often than actual poop. When it's poop, you'll know it.;)

There's a joke that's been around for a long time...

"Do you know what that white stuff is in bird poop?"....

"It's bird poop".

That's not actually true. The white stuff is actually their equivalent to "pee".;)

It's like our urine, only in a more solid form to conserve water. If you've ever kept lizards, you see it there too, only it appears as a yellow crystalline lump. "Solid" pee is what it is.

Bird excrement and reptile excrement are very similar. Sometimes it's just "pee" sometimes it's just "poop" sometimes, its both in the same lump.

Bottom line is, the white stuff you're seeing coming out of your snake is "pee" Next time it's time to clean the tank and you see a lot of that white stuff around, take a good whiff of it. One sniff and you'll know, it's urine.:p

PINJOHN
02-09-2011, 04:51 AM
I agree with Steve. That's garter "pee" you described, which can, and does happen much more often than actual poop. When it's poop, you'll know it.;)

There's a joke that's been around for a long time...

"Do you know what that white stuff is in bird poop?"....

"It's bird poop".

That's not actually true. The white stuff is actually their equivalent to "pee".;)

It's like our urine, only in a more solid form to conserve water. If you've ever kept lizards, you see it there too, only it appears as a yellow crystalline lump. "Solid" pee is what it is.

Bird excrement and reptile excrement are very similar. Sometimes it's just "pee" sometimes it's just "poop" sometimes, its both in the same lump.

Bottom line is, the white stuff you're seeing coming out of your snake is "pee" Next time it's time to clean the tank and you see a lot of that white stuff around, take a good whiff of it. One sniff and you'll know, it's urine.:p

with many thanks to our consultant urologist :D

katach
07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I know this is an old threat, but I wanted to thank you guys for posting it. I was worried about Willow but in looking at the salmon poo I needn't worry. Thanks!

guidofatherof5
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Poo thread is good. Thanks.;)

ConcinusMan
07-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I know this is an old threat

I don't know, I don't find it all that threatening, myself.:p

guidofatherof5
07-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I thought I would bump this thread up, we've had quite a few new members since its creation.
Gross subject but also an important subject. Poop can be an indicator of good and poor health.
Being able to identify what you're looking at needs to be part of an overall health strategy.
Just one more piece of the puzzle in keeping a healthy snake.;)

katach
09-08-2011, 09:12 PM
For our new members this is always helpful information.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Thats a lot of $#it....lol sorry had to say it. But yes i agree with what the members are saying. If we see something were not used to it would be nice to be able to look at these to compare. Exspecailly if youre trying a different food and ur not used to seeing a certian poo. And it might get scary and think something might be wrong. I like that this thread is here so i have something to look back on for questions. Thank you.

ConcinusMan
09-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Thats a lot of $#it....lol sorry had to say it. But yes i agree with what the members are saying.

I say we PM Stefan and see if we can enter this quote to a vote for "2011's funniest circumvention of the word filter" Award.:p

But seriously, he doesn't like it when we say that $#it.:cool: Forum rules and all.

RedSidedSPR
09-09-2011, 07:20 AM
If you have to misspell it, you shouldn't be saying it.:D

Stefan-A
09-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I say we PM Stefan and see if we can enter this quote to a vote for "2011's funniest circumvention of the word filter" Award.:p

But seriously, he doesn't like it when we say that $#it.:cool: Forum rules and all.
Yeah. Just type the ****ing word and let it get censored. Everybody will know what it is anyway.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I am sorry if that made anyone mad. Im sorry if it did. I was trying to be funny. sorry about that. I didnt mean to do anything wrong and I apoligize. :(
Also I dont know what "circumvention" means. Sorry.

BLUESIRTALIS
09-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't think anyone is mad at you.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I wasnt sure because it just sounded kinda like it. I knew with the way I wrote it that it wouldve been seen and I dont normally write those kinds of things but I wasnt sure if they were mad because of not know what that word meant that ConcinnusMan said. Im not a person thats good with big words unless Ive seen them before and this one I didnt know . Sorry. Thank you Bluesirtalis for coming in to say that cause I wasnt sure.

Stefan-A
09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I am sorry if that made anyone mad. Im sorry if it did. I was trying to be funny. sorry about that. I didnt mean to do anything wrong and I apoligize. :(
Sorry, didn't intend to come across angry. :D

Mrs N1ntndo
09-09-2011, 11:49 AM
No problem I just wasnt sure. Thats all. thank you for clearing it up that you were not angry cause I was a little worried. I love this site and the last thing that I would want to do is anger someone.

ConcinusMan
09-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Nobody is mad. Personally I don't give a ****.

Circumvention (getting around the word filter) is when you have to misspell , use symbols, etc. To stop the "star gods" (word filter) from blanking letters out.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Nobody is mad. Personally I don't give a ****.

Circumvention (getting around the word filter) is when you have to misspell , use symbols, etc. To stop the "star gods" (word filter) from blanking letters out.

Thank you for letting me know what that meant. Well I guess that even though that wasnt about garters we learn all different kinds of things here. Now when and if I see it again I will know what it means. Im glad that know one is mad. I dont like that the stars show up and there is times that I see the stars and many different words will fit there and even though everyone wouldve known what I meant I still wanted it to be seen. lol

Thank you again.

guidofatherof5
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Back to the subject at hand, garter snake poop.:D

ConcinusMan
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I almost said something similar. Something like, enough of this **** talk. Let's get back to talking about ****.

Mrs N1ntndo
09-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Back to the subject at hand, garter snake poop.:D

Sorry steve had to make sure.....

back to the subject. Im glad that the pic already came up with Salmon cause I just started feeding salmon to them and I woulda freaked if I saw that in the tank. I feed more worms and the fish is just what is added in. I thank you Steve for started this thread because of those reasons of knowing for later.

katach
09-20-2011, 10:06 PM
May we please get a silverside poop photo on here from someone? Thanks!!

ConcinusMan
09-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Well, I would post a pic, but it looks like ****. I don't have any good pics of that. They all look crappy.:p

katach
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
So funny! :D

Mrs N1ntndo
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
i agree that was very funny

guidofatherof5
10-16-2011, 09:02 AM
One of my radixes came and got me this morning to show me this fine pile of poop.
She was hoping I would post it in the Poop ID thread.
How could I turn her down.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//675/medium/poop1.jpg

Mrs N1ntndo
10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Your Radix must be getting ready for halloween with the black cat. Lol

guidofatherof5
10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Wow, never saw that.
Good eye. I would have never seen that. Don't like cats.:D

Mrs N1ntndo
10-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Thank you. I saw that as the first thing . I actually thought that is the reason why you were showing it. Cool cool. funny steve.

Char361979
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I've heard of seeing shapes in clouds but never in poop

guidofatherof5
10-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Maybe it's some thing like reading tea leaves.:D

PINJOHN
10-18-2011, 02:22 PM
In Steve's latest picture of scat
there was one that resembled a cat
perhaps his next garter shxte
will resemble a kite
now i really look forward to that :eek:

Char361979
10-18-2011, 02:25 PM
If we can get one that looks like the Mona Lisa THEN I will be impressed.

fl4ian
10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
nice :)

katach
11-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Bump.
Lot of new folks on here so, this a great thread. I know this helped me.

guidofatherof5
11-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Kat for the bump.

katach
11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
No problem!

EasternGirl
11-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Got one for you then that will impress you...never knew I would have a place to use this pic until now....I only took it because I had to have something to remember it by....it's urates not poop...but tell me this is not a smiley face:

katach
11-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I could but then I would be a liar! :D

EasternGirl
11-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Isn't that crazy? My son and I just stood and looked at that for the longest time...like, "are we seeing things??"...

PINJOHN
11-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Marnie i hope you washed your finger after scratching that image :)

EasternGirl
11-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Lol...

GarterGuy17
01-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Well I gave jade pinks and I see nothing of poop anywhere in the tank I haven't checked in her hides and that's basically it and today is feeding day should I feed her if she hasn't pooped ?

guidofatherof5
01-12-2012, 06:40 AM
I would think if you have no indications (outward signs) that something is wrong you should feed as normal.
If this is a big concern, you could always remove the substrate you are using and replace it with paper towels.
This way you can monitor fecal deposits. (pooping):D

chris-uk
03-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Here's one that is mixture of trout, pinky and urates:

I'm guessing the grey stuff is due to several pieces of trout having the skin still (I thought it would give some extra nutrition, but looks like it doesn't get digested well).

guidofatherof5
09-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Been awhile since I've updated this thread with a photo but this morning I couldn't resist after seeing this nice pile of poo and having the macro lens on the camera made it even more enjoyable.:D
This is feces and urates from a meal of night crawlers.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//744/medium/good_poop.jpg

ProXimuS
09-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Question: Why do they have "urates" and not pee....Is it kind of more like solid pee?

EasternGirl
09-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Lovely...especially with my morning coffee! :D

Light of Dae
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Ahaha haha The look on my hubbys face as I explain this thread LOL. Priceless.

ConcinusMan
09-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Question: Why do they have "urates" and not pee....Is it kind of more like solid pee?

Yes, essentially it's solid pee. Reptile kidney's do not function the same as mammals. That is why things like sodium can kill them. " in place of urine, the uric acid is discharged as a dry powdery or pasty white matter that is excreted in place of liquid urine. This entire process requires little water and allows the reptile to conserve as much water as possible. " Maybe this will explain it better: EVALUATING KIDNEY FUNCTION IN REPTILES (http://www.angelfire.com/al/repticare3/page9.html)

ProXimuS
09-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Very helpful article. Thanks:)

taharial
09-08-2012, 04:29 AM
OH my goodness, I don't know why I found this thread so hilarious. Heehee... :D Thanks.

ConcinusMan
09-11-2012, 11:07 PM
'cause poop is funny. :p

You think this one is good, read "rude snakes"

taharial
09-12-2012, 12:08 AM
=) I'll go a searching for the thread.

taharial
09-12-2012, 12:37 AM
'cause poop is funny. :p

You think this one is good, read "rude snakes"

OH my goodness, That was a good laugh! Thanks Concinnus Man! =)

guidofatherof5
10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Bump.

guidofatherof5
01-21-2013, 08:43 AM
The other day one of the snakes gave a perfect poop sample and asked if I would post it to this thread.:D
They worked so hard to make it look so right. Urates on the left and fecals on the right.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//821/poop_id_worms.jpg

chris-uk
01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
The other day one of the snakes gave a perfect poop sample and asked if I would post it to this thread.:D
They worked so hard to make it look so right. Urates on the left and fecals on the right.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//821/poop_id_worms.jpg

Is this primarily pinkies, or worms? Certainly isn't a fishy poo.

guidofatherof5
01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Is this primarily pinkies, or worms? Certainly isn't a fishy poo.

Duh, on my part. This was worms(night crawlers)

ConcinusMan
01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
What a work of art. Lovely. Simply lovely. :p

guidofatherof5
05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Bump.

guidofatherof5
07-29-2013, 08:03 AM
T. ordinoides, earthworm poop.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//821/medium/nw_poo.jpg

EasternGirl
07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Something my family has gotten used to hearing me say often is..."Who pooped in the water!?!" You can often hear me say this as I walk by the many enclosures in my living room and notice that, once again, someone decided to poop in the water dish...usually right after I have changed the water. Cee Cee and Sadie are usually the culprits in this scenario. I swear they do it on purpose...lol.

jwolfe152
07-29-2013, 12:31 PM
are they CB or WC

Stu
09-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Hi, I've had Giblet :-) for about a month now (he's 7months old) but all I've found when checking for poop is the odd white lump of chalky urate, described by others in this thread. I'm using natural coloured care fresh. He's been eating fine on smelt and pinkie bits.

Would you guys expect to also see droppings of faeces on the surface of the substrate or do your garters sometimes hide their droppings underneath the substrate? I'm thinking of using the paper towels to check for poop more easily when I next clean out the tank.

Thanks for any tips :)

Stu

guidofatherof5
09-07-2013, 06:26 AM
What are you feeding? Sounds like more fish, that would account for the chalky white urates you see.

Stu
09-07-2013, 12:57 PM
What are you feeding? Sounds like more fish, that would account for the chalky white urates you see.
Steve, it is a mixture of fish smelt and pinky parts. He doesn't have any bulges, so hopefully the poop is not trapped inside him!

guidofatherof5
09-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Steve, it is a mixture of fish smelt and pinky parts. He doesn't have any bulges, so hopefully the poop is not trapped inside him!

I don't think you will be seeing a lot of feces on the surface of the carefresh. Given the opportunity my snakes like pooping at the bottom of their substrate.
Put him on paper towels and see if that gives you a better look at the feces.
Is he eating any lob worms?

Stu
09-07-2013, 03:37 PM
No worms, no. Although we caught one larger than him in the garden today, I'm not going to feed those :)
Thanks for responding dr garter! :D ...will do as you suggest.

guidofatherof5
09-07-2013, 05:27 PM
No worms, no. Although we caught one larger than him in the garden today, I'm not going to feed those :)
Thanks for responding dr garter! :D ...will do as you suggest.

You can always cut the worm into small pieces.

alihauck
09-13-2013, 01:15 AM
My snake has dark, very watery poop. I feed him worms from my garden. What are the best types of worms to feed? I am looking to start a worm farm and want to know what type of worms to get, there are "red wigglers", "super red European night crawlers", "earthworms", "red worms", "African night crawlers", "Alabama jumpers" "garden worms" and plain "red worms". I am also looking into getting frozen pinkies, do I feed them frozen or thaw them first?

guidofatherof5
09-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Pinkies must be thawed. Room temp or slightly warmer.

No Compost Worms and all.
Stay with night crawlers or earth worms. The latter are not sold in stores. Any chance you can post a photo of the worms you are feeding?
Lumbricus terrestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumbricus_terrestris)

alihauck
09-13-2013, 08:03 AM
See my post earlier, I have photos of him eating a worm. They come from my garden so I think they are plain earth worms. It just get so confusing with the worms as everyone seems to call them by different names and a lot of them look so similar. How can you tell the difference? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am worried I might screw up and I don't want to hurt my snake over a stupid mistake.
How much of a pinkie do I feed it?

michieldewit
09-20-2013, 08:57 AM
I usually take my pinkies and put them in a bin of hot tap water for about 10 min, then I take them out and make sure they are thawed all the way trough. any frozen parts still inside can be dangerous as far as I know.

guidofatherof5
09-21-2013, 08:33 AM
I usually take my pinkies and put them in a bin of hot tap water for about 10 min, then I take them out and make sure they are thawed all the way trough. any frozen parts still inside can be dangerous as far as I know.

You are correct. They must be completely thawed.

guidofatherof5
09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Disregard this post.

guidofatherof5
12-12-2013, 05:32 PM
It's important we know what good feces looks like but I think it would be equally important if we had some photos of abnormal feces. It will help ID potential problems.

slipknot711
12-13-2013, 06:34 AM
i agree. i also would like to know good feces from bad feces. my new guys have been fed minnows (which i will correct soon since its not the best for them) and there poop is a little watery with white in it and smells like straight up fish

guidofatherof5
12-13-2013, 06:56 AM
The white you see is urates(normal). Minnows not only have thiaminase but usually carry a pretty heavy parasite load.

slipknot711
12-13-2013, 07:05 AM
The white you see is urates(normal). Minnows not only have thiaminase but usually carry a pretty heavy parasite load.

yes i know! my albino that ive had eats worms until i try integrating pinkies. the scrubs haveonly been with me on day and the guy only fed them minows. im breeding guppies right now tho. i wont be doing the dirty feeder fish long i know its not good. but its all they knew ya know? i posted in another forum about pinky feeding help if youd like to help me out there. ty

guidofatherof5
09-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Bump