PDA

View Full Version : Checkered Garter snake 4 week hunger strike?!?!

Penguingodzilla
01-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I have a baby captive bred Checkered Garter Snake. It's literally hatchling size, and has never really eaten well. It has been on a hunger strike for the last 4 weeks, which I understand to be very dangerous for neonate Garters, which obviously have a very fast metabolism. He tong feeds out of the enclosure with worm chunks which are one or two segments of the worm. My friend came and tong fed my garter and it ate, but it doesn't usually eat well. I tried assist feeding and putting the animal in a Tupperware container with the worm chunks and nothing. Obviously i am both worried. my friend told me to turn the heat off so its metabolism slows down and it doesn't metabolize its muscles and fat reserves.
Info:
I got it at bigappleherps.com on october 29th, 2010
today is 1/10/11
It was 6 inches long when i got it, and is now 7 inches (it ate well the first 3 weeks)
I am going to attempt to feed it guppies. If that fails than mosquitofish, if that fails than fish filet (talapia), if that doesn't work vet.
If you have any suggestions, or think one of my suggestions will work or not, tell me!!
THANK YOU!!
- pg

guidofatherof5
01-11-2011, 07:08 AM
The guppies might just go the trick. Offer them in a small round container(Zip-lock, screw top works great) Use just enough water so the fish are flopping/swimming. Guppies can turn non-eaters into eaters in a hurry. Drop a few work chunks in with the guppies. If he/she misses a guppy, maybe they'll grab a worm piece.
Best of luck.
Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum.

P.S I wouldn't turn the heat down as long as you are actively trying to feed.

Mommy2many
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I agree with Steve. Keep it warm, offer moving food and keep trying.
Babies usually don't go off food in the first year, so we need to keep offering. Guppies are your best bet. Nightcrawlers (cut up) from Walmart may be another suggestion. Salmon from the fish dept. of your grocery store is another good try and silversides from the pet store may be in order. Good luck & please keep us posted!

HazAnga
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree with both Steve and Le Ann, deff give the guppies a try

Penguingodzilla
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Than kyou to all!! She ate the "guppies" with much gusto. unfortunately, i think the guy at the petstore did not give me guppies, but instead gave me mosquitofish. i tong fed them, a suggestion from my friend. But i like your idea, Guidofatherof5. Having just enough water for them to flop is a great idea!! next time i will try that. My friend says i should just give her 1 adult guppie a week???

gregmonsta
01-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Than kyou to all!! She ate the "guppies" with much gusto. unfortunately, i think the guy at the petstore did not give me guppies, but instead gave me mosquitofish. i tong fed them, a suggestion from my friend. But i like your idea, Guidofatherof5. Having just enough water for them to flop is a great idea!! next time i will try that. My friend says i should just give her 1 adult guppie a week???

She's very young and as such should be fed as often as possible. Garters have a faster metabolism than most other snakes. At this time you should be offering food every 4 days (maybe even more often) and mixing up the diet as much as possible. You want to gaduate onto F/T fish fillet and rodent (with vit and calcium supplements) eventually.

guidofatherof5
01-12-2011, 06:33 AM

That's great.
Mix in the worm chunks to start a more varied diet. Like Greg said.
Flopping fish drive garters crazy. Most non-eaters can't resist.
They can be so stubborn when offered other foods but they just can resist flopping fish.:D

indigoman
01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Glad to read your baby marcy is eating! follow the information given and don't worry to much about over feeding they grow quite fast.

Penguingodzilla
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
The guy at petland gave me minnows, not goldfish. Is this bad?? And how many guppies should i give her mixed with worms? And how often? Thanks again everybody.

Penguingodzilla
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
The guy at petland gave me minnows, not goldfish. Is this bad?? And how many guppies should i give her mixed with worms? And how often? Thanks again everybody.

I mean to say guppies, not goldfish.

Penguingodzilla
01-17-2011, 06:53 PM
The fish didn't flop :( I tried a little bit of water and i tried a lot. i tried every possible measurement of water in the feeding tank possible, they just didn't flop that much. For the little flopping they did do, Garter Snake didn't pay any attention.
Also, i think garter snake is female :) Any name suggestions?

Mommy2many
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Need a picture to get you a name. Keep trying the food every couple of days. She ate once, she'll most likely do it again. Keep the temps warm and humidity at 40 -50 if you can. Good luck!

mustang
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
dont worry hes just fustrated with you, :Dthere logic is
"dont you touch me, put me back,.....ill show you! im not going to eat then youll have to throw out wasted food and burn $$! there is no way this could back fire"
keep trying different approches, and foods theyll give in eventually

Odie
02-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Penguingodzilla :)

Penguingodzilla
02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you all for the help!! Her hunger strike is now considered over :D But the fish almost never flop :o they just sit there trying to breathe. Any suggestions? When i put the fish in the feeder tank with the garter the fish just sit there. I've tried putting a small amount of water in the tank, to make them desperate for more, but it doesn't work :o

guidofatherof5
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you all for the help!! Her hunger strike is now considered over :D But the fish almost never flop :o they just sit there trying to breathe. Any suggestions? When i put the fish in the feeder tank with the garter the fish just sit there. I've tried putting a small amount of water in the tank, to make them desperate for more, but it doesn't work :o

Great news about her eating. If she's actively hunting they don't have to move. She'll find them. Usually when the snake is on the hunt the fish are bound to move.;)

nitrogen15
03-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Minnows often have high thiaminase levels that break down your garter's B vitamins. It's best to go for guppies at the pet store. Since your garter likes food from tongs, you could also try dangling strips of thawed trout, salmon or tilapia.