PDA

View Full Version : White spots and "wierd" behavior

RedSidedSPR
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
My garter recently stopped eating, and I did a sorta "mini hibernation". Just put a towel over his tank for three and a half weeks, and he's eating again(still only minnows). But he hardly EVER comes out of his hiding place. except to eat, he's in there sometimes for two days(he used to be out most of the day). It's a tree/log thing that has a fault in the design where he can squeeze through a hole and go up into a branch (all of them have the fault) so I cant get him out. He is also realy jumpy.
Also he has a little white spot on the top of his head(or nose)and on two on his body. I cant tell if it's skin or what. And I can't pick him up or anything 'cause he's never out except to eat.

I'll try to get pictures next time he's out.

wolfpacksved
12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
It's good to cool garters down so they can truly get some sleep. If he is eating that is a good sign. Snakes hiding for long periods of time sounds like snakes just being snakes. One of my fox snakes stayed in its hide box for nearly 3 weeks. I just seen it out for the first time yesterday. He was perfectly fine. He will be getting a warm bath soon and put in a cold closet for the remainder of the winter.

drache
12-28-2010, 01:52 PM
can you get a photo of the white spot?

guidofatherof5
12-28-2010, 03:29 PM
My first impression is it's retained shed.
If so, a warm damp towel should remove it.
It can't hurt to try even if it's not retained shed.

ConcinusMan
12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Could also be puss filled blisters? That problem doesn't usually develop unless the substrate is constantly damp though. Hiding a lot isn't necessarily a sign of trouble. Amy (my iowa albino radix) rarely comes out of the hide. I also have a couple of hets from Don, one of them is out moving around and active every day. The other only rarely comes out, (the really grumpy one) and it's after dark, and only when he's hungry. Like Steve said, it could also be a retained shed and that could be why he's hiding a lot.

Any signs of dull color or wrinkly skin?

Try to lure him out with food and plug that hole!

kibakiba
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
The white spots sound like the snake I took in last year, she had white spots all over her body and they looked like mold on her with pus coming out. We weren't planning on keeping her (we didn't) but her nickname was malady because she was sick.

ConcinusMan
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
That sounds like blister disease. Northwesterns are very prone to it. They can develop it in just 7 days of being kept on damp substrate. It's highly contagious too. Rarely, I've seen wild snakes with it when they first come out of brumation. Apparently, the spot they chose of hibernation got too damp.

Keeping them warm and dry, and applying a product called "Hibiclens" (4% Chlorexidine Gluconate) to the skin twice daily, cures it.

kibakiba
12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Malady was the snake from my first ever post in the thread "Mold on my snake?" Though, I've never said her name. I felt bad for the girl, she was dying anyways. She looked extremely old, and large. She was easily the biggest garter I've ever held. Biggest snake in general that I've held ;)

RedSidedSPR
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I cant get pics of his spots 'cause he's not coming out, but here's a pic of his hide. The circled part is where he goes...And I dont think I can plug it.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/CopyofGarterSnake21.jpg

Stefan-A
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Polyurethane foam. Or foam rubber.

guidofatherof5
12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
He's not going to like you messing with his hide.;):D
Maybe you can break a hole in the end as another exit/entrance.
That may help getting him to stay out more.

ConcinusMan
12-28-2010, 09:41 PM
More cover, like perhaps adding some artificial foliage may make him feel more secure outside the hide. Some snakes just don't like being in the wide open. They like to feel boxed in or under the cover of foliage.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
this sounds like blisters. I have never seen retained shed on the form of white spots... Just keep your snake dry and clean and hopefully they will fix themselves next shed. They often appear white but are filled with a slightly cloudy liquid inside. The white is due to the raised patch of skin. If it were pus, it would be hard and solid, snake pus is not liquidy. Hopefully, it is nothing contagious or malicious! good luck!

ConcinusMan
12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I think what Steve was referring to is when water gets trapped beneath a retained shed, it sort of looks like whitish spots. I think Red needs to check those spots as soon as he can and determine if they are blisters. I didn't exactly mean pus, but rather a sticky milky fluid that resembles pus from a human wound. If there's pockets of that on the surface, it's blister disease. Maybe he's getting that from moisture and bacteria inside that branch.

guidofatherof5
12-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Actually, I was referring to retained scales on the head and/or body. The retained scales look whitish compared the the new skin.
Now, if these white areas are raised in appearance and look like there is something under them it's a completely different situation.
It would be great if we could see a photo.
Keep us posted on this situation.

RedSidedSPR
12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
He has tons of foliage, and some other hides(that pic is from three months ago).
He finaly came out today and I got some pics (not all that good). The spots are raised, and a warm damp towel didn't help. How much humidity should he have? I keep it dry. I think I may have been wrong about the ones on his body because I couldn't find them today. I washed the tree just in case(soaked it in warm water), and I realy cannot plug the hole, I cant even get to it.

Sorry for the bad quality, my camera isnt that good.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/ratsnake095.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/ratsnake104.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/ratsnake096.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/ratsnake098.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/ratsnake102.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/chucknkelly/ratsnake107.jpg

ConcinusMan
12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Well that doesn't sound good. It does sound like blister disease but I've never seen it on the upper parts.

More info: Blister Disease - Reptile Expert (UK) (http://www.reptileexpert.co.uk/BlisterDisease.html)

I have successfully treated it with only topical antiseptic and of course, sanitizing the enclosure and keeping them very warm and on dry paper towels changed daily, low humidity, no water dish (offer water once daily). It looks to be in early stages if it is indeed blister disease, and so, can be reversed without seeing a vet.

I used Hibiclens, but betadine solution should work too. You must very careful when using those products, they are highly toxic and should be rinsed thoroughly. Do not get it in the nose or mouth.

Whatever is going on with those spots, the sooner you treat it, the better his chances of full recovery. And get rid of that damn tree or plug it.

guidofatherof5
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I think the best thing to do would be a Vet. visit.
We can all speculate on what it is but considering the severity of what it could be a Vet. needs to be involved.
Just my opinion.
Please keep us posted on the situation.

ConcinusMan
12-30-2010, 03:15 AM
One things for sure. Something needs to be done asap. If those are blisters, it's serious.

RedSidedSPR
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
IT'S GONE!!!! Either the damp cloth did the trick, or I posted this thread for nothing!:D I can't find any anywhere else, but should I still apply Hibiclens or something? Can blisters go away that soon? That tree's still out of his tank, so he can't hide for now..at least not where I can't get him out. Anything I should be doing?

guidofatherof5
12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Glad it's gone.
Blisters don't just disappear. Many times they will even leave a scar.
I'm glad this worked out well.
Better safe than sorry. I'm glad you posted about the situation.
It sounds like your snake is in good hands.

Tyrel26
12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Could there possibly be sharp edges deep inside that log? I still fail to see why you cannot plug that hole...you can plug a doorway with expanding foam lol

drache
12-30-2010, 03:46 PM
it didn't look like a blister to me - they tend to stick out more
but I couldn't figure out what it was beyond that
frankly, looking at the photos, it looked like a paint spot, and that didn't seem likely
now, that it's come off I wonder whether it was a urine stain

kibakiba
12-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I've seen this on Mama. It ended up being some poop. She always poops on her head, or Snakey poops in her head. Either way, her nickname isn't Poophead for nothing. :D

RedSidedSPR
12-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I can't plug it because it's not just a hole and I can't get to it!!!!
If you could see it you would understand.

drache
01-01-2011, 06:34 AM
I've got a piece of wood with one of those
in my case it's a large crack where a branch comes out of the main piece, and I never use that piece in enclosures with animals that are small enough to get in there