PDA

View Full Version : Trust

guidofatherof5
12-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I just finished feeding a few groups of young(Fall births) radixes.
They rush out of their hides to see what I have for them. They jockey for position to see who's going to get food from me while a plate of food is right in front of them. Some sit patiently at the food dish and wait to be hand(hemostats) fed.
Worm pieces were on the menu. At the end of the feast they like to search though the mud and blood to find anything that may have been missed.
With full bellies they search, ignoring me. I wave my hands at them to get out of the dish and they just look at me. I'm within a few inches of them and they don't care.
Once the trust barrier is conquered they become so much more than just snakes. They know that this giant that's reaching for them isn't going to hurt them. No musking, no biting, no startle response.
Just one animal trusting a human and this from a snake that most people can't stand or wouldn't give the time of day to. I for one am fortunate to have this experience. Guest to the Ranch are amazed at how calm a garter snake can be.
I know that there will be a day in the future when I can no longer keep these special animals but I wouldn't trade what I've had for anything.;)
I can't think of and have never worked with any other snakes that has more personality and more going on than the garter snake. Let's keep this our little secret.
Here I am preaching to the choir. :D

gregmonsta
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Garter snakes = love :rolleyes:

mustang
12-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I just finished feeding a few groups of young(Fall births) radixes.
They rush out of their hides to see what I have for them. They jockey for position to see who's going to get food from me while a plate of food is right in front of them. Some sit patiently at the food dish and wait to be hand(hemostats) fed.
Worm pieces were on the menu. At the end of the feast they like to search though the mud and blood to find anything that may have been missed.
With full bellies they search, ignoring me. I wave my hands at them to get out of the dish and they just look at me. I'm within a few inches of them and they don't care.
Once the trust barrier is conquered they become so much more than just snakes. They know that this giant that's reaching for them isn't going to hurt them. No musking, no biting, no startle response.
Just one animal trusting a human and this from a snake that most people can't stand or wouldn't give the time of day to. I for one am fortunate to have this experience. Guest to the Ranch are amazed at how calm a garter snake can be.
I know that there will be a day in the future when I can no longer keep these special animals but I wouldn't trade what I've had for anything.;)
I can't think of and have never worked with any other snakes that has more personality and more going on than the garter snake. Let's keep this our little secret.
Here I am preaching to the choir. :D
if this is chior then im in CHAMBER!