PDA

View Full Version : snake science fair 2011-2012 (my final year in high school)

mustang
12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
well i got 3rd in this years fair and the top prize winners won scholorships and they were workn with cancer so i know i have to up my game...then it hit me
snakes+ medical=anti venom!!!
then while scrolling through my head for ideas i hit "immunity to neurotoxins" then i sub catagorized to ray hunter (he is one of the 2 people in the world to b immune to neurotoxin venom) then i thought "epi-pen"....hmmm anti venom in the convienience of a portable non manditory freez means...if i can find out how to make blood stay alive in an epipen for a long long amount of time (month or longer(maybe a week)) then i could put rays blood in it and if he's O blood then no alterations have to be made...if he isnt i might have to break down his blood...please post all your thoughts,links,and warnings here (hell ill let a few derailments be allowed too seeing how I cant avoid it) but keep this on a down low i dont want anyone pantenting this idea if it works! (1 kid patented his idea to get rid of cancer cells in ground solution and it worked! (needless to say for sure hes goin to the state science fair)) also being my senior year next year i want to go out with a bang!

guidofatherof5
12-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Congrats on 3rd place.
Not sure I can help you on this one. Best of luck. You'll do fine.;)

mustang
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
books, links, money, names, information, all is accepted and appreciated please do what you can (money may be refused due to morals)

mustang
12-09-2010, 07:29 AM
that includes NAMES OF BOOKS! i need a good medical book on venom...please also list some great herpetological books...the amount my parents will spend on me is subjective to how much there taking out for my senior ring.

guidofatherof5
12-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I found this article:
Snake Venom May Slow Cancer Growth, Studies Hint (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0601_040601_tvsnakes1.html)

ConcinusMan
12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Good books, worth a darn, aren't going to be cheap.

mustang
12-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I found this article:
Snake Venom May Slow Cancer Growth, Studies Hint (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0601_040601_tvsnakes1.html)

thanks!
oh and conicuss man (on my phone spelln long things aint easy...sorry) i personally will make an investment...im askn for money from family this year for christmas....and CHECKER GOT HIS OWN STOCKING!!!

ConcinusMan
12-10-2010, 01:25 AM
How cool is that? extra slim, extra long, tube stocking for checker, right?:p

mustang
12-10-2010, 10:02 AM
How cool is that? extra slim, extra long, tube stocking for checker, right?:p

its a small red stocking with a silver C on it :) my parents finally relized hes gonna b living a while...hes my second snake....still a wc....and still alive...but he's off food...its been 3 or 4 weeks...i think he does it to mess with me...his mind set is
"hey human i was so close to the door put me back!!! let me go!!! ill show you, i wont eat for a long time! ull be thrown out out aging food and youll get all fustrated! THERES NO WAY THIS CAN BACKFIRE!"

ConcinusMan
12-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Do you have his lights/heat on a timer? erratic hours can confuse them into not eating. Anyway, if you do have them on a timer, try increasing the day length and/or temperature. It can take a week or two for them to respond to that, but it works sometimes.

mustang
12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Do you have his lights/heat on a timer? erratic hours can confuse them into not eating. Anyway, if you do have them on a timer, try increasing the day length and/or temperature. It can take a week or two for them to respond to that, but it works sometimes.

aye aye aye i havent had a heat lamp for over a month (its on my christmas list ) and i like my blinds closed a lot but mom keeps freakn opening em. its horrible. anyways ya his scheduals been screwed up...but i think hes just being contrary

ConcinusMan
12-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Well who am I to argue with that logic.:rolleyes:

Don't make me repeat why I think he's not eating.

Get the light, put it on a timer, and give him about 8 hours of uninterrupted darkness at the same time every night with a temperature drop. I'm 95% sure that will solve the problem. He thinks it's time to brumate, which it is. He will snap out of it if he thinks its spring or summer. It may take a couple of weeks to convince him.

mustang
12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Well who am I to argue with that logic.:rolleyes:

Don't make me repeat why I think he's not eating.

Get the light, put it on a timer, and give him about 8 hours of uninterrupted darkness at the same time every night with a temperature drop. I'm 95% sure that will solve the problem. He thinks it's time to brumate, which it is. He will snap out of it if he thinks its spring or summer. It may take a couple of weeks to convince him.
well its been a while, ill try to feed him again

mustang
12-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Good books, worth a darn, aren't going to be cheap.
WAHOOO $250 FOR AMAZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! (and i got a venom book allready ordered!)

mustang
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM
this book should arive at my door tomarrow!
Amazon.com: Snake Venoms and Envenomations (9781575242729): Jean-phillipe Chippaux, F. W. Huchzermeyer: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Snake-Venoms-Envenomations-Jean-phillipe-Chippaux/dp/1575242729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293581817&sr=8-1)
anyone here got a medical dictionary?

mustang
09-13-2011, 08:20 AM
hey guys!!! i need garter snake venom, like soon...can anybody get some, ill pay d shipping...pm me asap!!!!! please... :)

d_virginiana
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't think garter venom can be collected/milked in the same way people do for venomous snakes...
If you really want garter-saliva though, you can always go piss off a wild one.. :rolleyes:

katach
09-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow! What an awesome and fascinating idea! I wish all the luck in world! Congrats on 3rd for this year also.

chris-uk
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I assume you know about the pubmed journal index? I used to use it a lot a medical school, it's a lot easier to use now it's on the web. Do a few searches on Home - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) and see what journal articles come up - the cutting edge stuff is published in the journals way before it reaches text books.

On your orignal idea about antivenin in an epipen... biggest problem is preventing the protein from denaturing, most proteins (I believe all snake venoms are proteins, maybe a few enzymes as well) will breakdown when heated, and ambient temperatures over a short time would most likely be enough to denature the antivenin.
I'm happy to be wrong, but I think there's a reason why we don't have antivenin stored at room temp. Let us know what you find.

d_virginiana
09-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm happy to be wrong, but I think there's a reason why we don't have antivenin stored at room temp. Let us know what you find.

I believe you're right about it denaturing. It would probably need to be kept in some sort of portable freezer-unit like what I've seen severe diabetics carry around for their insulin.
The problem there is that those are very expensive and likely wouldn't be possible to mass produce... Though it might be practical for businesses that work with a lot of venomous reptiles to have on-site.

Didymus20X6
09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't think garter venom can be collected/milked in the same way people do for venomous snakes...
If you really want garter-saliva though, you can always go piss off a wild one.. :rolleyes:
Actually, I'm not sure how well that would work, since garters are rear fanged and would have to chew on you in order to work the venom into you. Your best bet would be to try to trick the snake into thinking your finger was a food of some sort. Soak your finger in some fish juice or pinkie blood - that would probably do the trick.

kibakiba
09-13-2011, 04:55 PM
It could also break their teeth if done repeatedly. Hades lost a tooth when biting me a while ago. I wouldn't do it.

RedSidedSPR
09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I minimize handling my checkered for that reason.

kibakiba
09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
I only hold Hades to check on his mouth. He keeps rubbing his face on the logs and re opening the wound.

RedSidedSPR
09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I only hold him to move him etc, but he he's stopped biting for the most part....